C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 Hdi problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WelshTom
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2007 C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 Hdi

2012 Berlingo MPV 1.6 Hdi

C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 Hdi problems

Post by WelshTom »

Hi everyone

I'm having some issues with my 2007 C4 Grand Picasso and am hoping someone can save my sanity! I've owned the car for some 6 months and all was well with it until a few months ago when it suddenly felt very low on power. I'd been getting 'depolution system faulty' on the dash but chose to ignore them ( ](*,) ) as I didn't really have time to fix them. A quick bit of recent investigation showed that the lack of power was due to the turbo not spinning. A friend suggested that I try cleaning the dpf so I bought a tin of the cleaner that you squirt into the dpf, but it did nothing to help!

Then we went into lockdown so I forgot about it for a while longer, but I did order a digabox cable. It arrived last week so I decided to investigate. I cleared the codes, took it for a spin and got the following codes on my return:

P1351 preheat relay circuit - relay supplied and plugs never supplied (permanent)

P1457 exhaust differential pressure sensor signal - particle filter punctured or absent (permanent)

P1462 electric egr valve position copy signal - valve movement drift or programming not done (permanent)

Seeing the P1457 I thought maybe the dpf pressure sensor had gone so I swapped it for the one on my wife's Berlingo, cleared the codes, took it for a spin and the same error returned so I don't think that is the problem (I also tested mine in her car and it worked fine). I've done a lot of searching on the forum and came across posts about the turbo solenoid possibly being the problem, I tried using diagbox to see if I could hear it but I couldn't hear anything when it was testing it - does it usually make a noise? While I was there I did the actuator tests on the egr which made a noise (not sure if it worked or not but it made a noise!). I've also taken the pipe off the turbo and checked that the spindle isn't wobbly. The car starts fine and there is no evidence of plumes of white smoke.

Any ideas what it could be, or are there any other tests I should do to help with the diagnosis?

Thanks in advance

Tom
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 Hdi problems

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hello and :welc: to the forum. I can tell you that P1351 can be ignored (it seems that all HDi engines do this) but I cannot help with the others. However, give it a bit of time and somebody with a lot more knowledge will be able to offer advise.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
WelshTom
Donor 2023

Post by WelshTom »

Hi Hell Razor5543, thank you for your reply, that's great news, 1 down 2 to go!!
WelshTom
Donor 2023

Post by WelshTom »

Anyone have any ideas? Or can anyone suggest the next step in my diagnosis?

Any help will be greatly appreciated :-D
mister35mm
New User
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso diesel turbo 1.6.

Post by mister35mm »

I have the same car (2008 C4 1.6hdi grand Picasso diesel, with an almost identical problem.

In my case , all the plumbing that connects the turbo has been disconnected. I believe the turbo is faulty. In the UK, replacing the Turbo is about £1000. You might save some money by using a reconditioned one. However, you can find yourself, back in the same spot.

I am not a mechanic. My local garage reconnect the pipes and reset the error codes. As soon as the engine is reved, you are back to square one.

The problem is finding someone COMPETENT to provide the parts and install them. I was, and still am considering replacing this car with another, but 2nd hand prices are INSANE right now, so am currently biting the bullet and spending the money. ^£^ <---money flying away. Can anyone recommend a reliable place in, or near Barnet EN5?

Stephen