C3 key transponder 'blocked'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bert
My Cars: Citroen C3 Airdream Plus 1.4HDi

C3 key transponder 'blocked'

Post by Bert »

Hi,

I've recently purchased a 2009 C3 1.4HDi. Really pleased with it but when I picked it up the dealer only had one key available.

I was in Tesco yesterday and noticed Timpsons had reopened so I asked about the cost of cutting a copy.

He put the key into a device and then said that the chip was blocked so he couldn't do it and I'd have to go to a main dealer.

Is that normal and is there something I can do to unlock the chip? Not saying he didn't know his stuff but he was fumbling with the device for a while before telling me it was blocked.

Cheers
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C3 key transponder 'blocked'

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The transponder chips can only be coded once to a vehicle - I'm not sure what he was on about, but he would only be able to cut a key and not code it anyway.

A new fob (or basic key) has a transponder chip in that is coded t o the vehicle using a diagnostic tool like a Lexia / Diagbox and is normally done by the dealer or anyone with the kit. You still need to have your customer confidential code ti undertake the programming anyway, and all keys / fobs must be programmed together regardless in the same session or any that are not will be locked out.

Either order one at the dealer when they are open soon and get them to code it for you, or buy one on the second hand market, get a blade cut and then find someone to programme all your keys to the car for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 May 2020, 16:06 I'm not sure what he was on about, but he would only be able to cut a key and not code it anyway.
What makes you say that? Timpsons have quite a comprehensive kit for key cloning & programming, well at least my local one does anyway. I was helping someone out recently at my local shopping centre with a Hyundai, part of the key blade had broken off in the door lock, I managed to get the broken part out of the lock. Knowing there was a Timpsons in the shopping centre I thought I would go in & see if he could just cut a non transponder key from the broken bits with the intention of holding the broken key up to the aerial to get the guy going. They guy in the store was like why don't I just do it all just now, I have the key in stock, he checked the chip to see if it was cloneable which it wasn't so he brought out a laptop out to the car park & programmed the replacement key in a few minutes, he even brought a battery pack out with him to reduce the risk of the battery going flat. I got talking to him & he seemed quite knowledgeable, the range of keys they can do & stock they carry is quite reasonable. Some of the programs they have can extract the security codes from the car. I did ask him about PSA cars & he did say if the chip wasn't cloneable he would need the security code.

EDIT: Meant to add too it was a genuine Hyundai key not an aftermarket copy although most of the car keys they stock are aftermarket ones.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It's my understanding that these chips can't be cloned and they couldn't do a MKI C5 one a few years ago.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc