Pennine Cycleway NCN68 (&quiz) -On your virtual Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: On Your Virtual Bike:The Pennine Cycleway (&quiz)

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Just got there before I put my picture of the little fork in the road! Totally correct for Q1 Mick Nice info!
mickthemaverick wrote: 23 May 2020, 11:42 While peddling north out of Alston, we nearly missed the left fork but just saw it in time and we have just reached the county border so time to answer Q1:
Spoiler: show
The border crosses our path southwest of the centre of Ayle and next to Randalholme Hall which was developed from the original Pele (Or Peel as some seem to spell it!) Tower. I found this very interesting:

Randalhome, Alston, a fourteenth century peel tower, originally the manor house of Kirkhaugh, first mentioned in 1370. A Tudor wing was added circa 1600 and remodelled in classical style circa 1650 (Collingwood; Curwen).
The peel tower, of three stories with added attic and gabled roof, forms the SE corner of a later farmhouse. It measures 8.3m x 7.7m with walls 1.7m thick, and contains an original doorway, leading into a barrel-vaulted basement. The later additions are not outstanding (LS Reviser (BA Cowling 24.7.80)).
Adjacent to the Hall is a range containing a bastle.

On a more general point and answering the "what is a Pele Tower" part of the question:

"Determined to resist further invasion from the Scots, the people of Cumberland and Westmorland built defensive structures known as pele towers, quite unique to the north of England. About 90 were built.

They were small stone buildings with walls from 3 to 10 feet thick, square or oblong in shape. Most were on the outskirts of the Lake District, but a few were within its boundaries. Designed to withstand short sieges, they usually consisted of three storeys – a tunnel-vaulted ground floor which had no windows which was used as a storage area, and which could accommodate animals.

The first floor contained a hall and kitchen, and the top floor was space for living and sleeping. The battlemented roof was normally flat for look-out purposes, and to allow arrows to be fired at raiders, and missiles hurled down on unwanted visitors.

Today many of these towers have had additions or modifications. Some such as Yanwath Hall are part of a working farm. Others such as Muncaster, Dacre and Sizergh are now stately homes. Some have fallen and become ruins, others have been dismantled so the stone could be used to build other buildings. Some towers were built onto churches to act as both pele tower, and bell tower."

Although the Pele towers are quite unique (if such a term exists :-D ) to the North down here in the South we do have our own equivalent in the Martello Towers built around the SE coastal regions in Napoleonic times for defense against the European threats:

"Martello towers, sometimes known simply as Martellos, are small defensive forts that were built across the British Empire during the 19th century, from the time of the French Revolutionary Wars onwards. Most were coastal forts.

They stand up to 40 feet (12 m) high (with two floors) and typically had a garrison of one officer and 15–25 men. Their round structure and thick walls of solid masonry made them resistant to cannon fire, while their height made them an ideal platform for a single heavy artillery piece, mounted on the flat roof and able to traverse, and hence fire, over a complete 360° circle. A few towers had moats or other batteries and works attached for extra defence.

The Martello towers were used during the first half of the 19th century, but became obsolete with the introduction of powerful rifled artillery. Many have survived to the present day, often preserved as historic monuments."
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

And onwards on an easy ride passing. KirkHaugh Church.

I do hope Mick and Bob are having a decent look round and getting some research in for Q2 Over the other side of the Water is KirkHaugh Station, as our little road and the South Tynedale Railway follow the river down on opposite sides for now. There is a much more gaudy border sign on the railway

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

the Q2 Church, thats one pointy spire
geograph stamped image
geograph stamped image
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Been hunting all around the church question but unless there is a church in Hom Green which is also dedicated to The Paraclete (Holy Spirit) I have come up with a big fat zero. I did find a house which apparently used to be the church in Hom Green but obviously isn't anymore. Perhaps a nudge would help?
We thought we'd have a break at Slaggyford for a drink and a Kitkat from our packed lunches the landlady made for us this morning. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 May 2020, 12:11 Been hunting all around the church question but unless there is a church in Hom Green which is also dedicated to The Paraclete (Holy Spirit) I have come up with a big fat zero. I did find a house which apparently used to be the church in Hom Green but obviously isn't anymore. Perhaps a nudge would help?
We thought we'd have a break at Slaggyford for a drink and a Kitkat from our packed lunches the landlady made for us this morning. :)
Mick that is it. It is one of only 2 churches in the country to be dedicated to the Paraclete. Never heard the term before and thought thats unusual. So well done thats the answer on my card!

I'm not sure if there is some doubt about an iconic ride across Lambley Viaduct on route 68 due to some "ownership" sort of thing at one end where all of a sudden a disued railway turns into "private property" fo 30 yards or so.
On our virtual ride we can just sail over of course!

Lambley Viaduct

© Andrew Curtis[/a], [url=http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/]cc-by-sa.

I think I'm hungry for something at the Pillar box. Dont want to make it too complicated a request so its going to have to be a couple of bacon sandwiches, one with brown one with red, Pot of Ringtons Tea and I'll not faf about with tea strainers and sugar cubes and tongs. Next 5 minutes should see me there and I'll wrestle with your question.

Cheers Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 May 2020, 10:32 ....collected the trailers and we're on the way. I was told to keep an eye out for Thomas Edmundson on my way up the road so I think it might be sensible to ask for a bit of help so:
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 6 Number 3
Where might I find Thomas Edmundson?
Well wonder if he had a ticket named after him?
Thomas Edmondson (30 June 1792 in Lancaster, England – 22 June 1851 in Manchester, England) is the inventor of the Edmondson railway ticket, and quite a lot of information about him can be founf in Manchester University Library https://archive.is/20121223040252/http: ... edmondson/

Yes but also the name of an engine on the South Tynedale Railway
THOMAS EDMONDSON

© Peter McDermott[/a], [url=http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/]cc-by-sa.

Excellent stuff, I think I will return later and peruse Thomas Edmundsons ticket nippers

Cheers Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 May 2020, 12:33
Yes but also the name of an engine on the South Tynedale Railway
THOMAS EDMONDSON

© Peter McDermott[/a], [url=http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/]cc-by-sa.
Again great information and the last bit is what I'm meant to be looking out for, ideally while munching my Kitkat!

Now as you are the milestone man I wonder if you spotted this:

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 6 Number 4
Pretty useless as it is, can you fill in the blanks?
EFTW
EFTW
NewcastleFalcon

At the Pillar Box hopefully to be joined by Mick and Bob bit of a late elevenses, but theres nothing spoiling.

From here we effectively run out of shops! I dont like to burden myself with lots of stuff but I may need a put off before we assemble here at chollerford later on for tea, giving us a bit time for Vindolanda/ and a wall walk.

So tea spot, could be the George Hotel, fancier/swimming pool/ lovely riverside location but this for me will be just as good right next to the bridge.
After that Bellingham is a mere 12 miles away so if we are the tea rooms around 5pm plenty time to dilly dally. Mick and Bob you may even be able to get your canoes out on on one of the Loughs by the side of the Military road before you get to Chollerford

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.0299899 ... 312!8i6656

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 May 2020, 12:42 Now as you are the milestone man I wonder if you spotted this:

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 6 Number 4
Pretty useless as it is, can you fill in the blanks?

I hadn't Mick should have though. Looks like you must have got a tin of Dulux Brilliant White there Mick and spruced it up a bit.....
Old Milestone by the A686 in Alston

© M Buxton & C Minto[/a], [url=http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/]cc-by-sa.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

We're at the pillar box too. Bacon sarnies and lashings of tea for the pair of us. We do have the picnic lunch (for 6 people) in the canoe from this morning's hotel so that will see us through to the Riverside. I notice there is a filling station there so hopefully we can get a camping gaz cylinder for the BBQ which Bob sneaked into the back of my canoe yesterday (I wondered why I was planing all the time :-D) and then we will be prepared for lunch on the road tomorrow! Need to get some bangers and burgers later!! Could you pop up a route map for the next bit please Neil because I am using a different map to guide us: (or draw it on here and I'll translate)
Own work
Own work
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 May 2020, 13:05
mickthemaverick wrote: 23 May 2020, 12:42
I hadn't Mick should have though. Looks like you must have got a tin of Dulux Brilliant White there Mick and spruced it up a bit.....

Regards Neil
No it was as I came across it, apart from the blanking of course! Obviously a much more recent photo than Geograph's one.....or maybe much older?
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 23 May 2020, 13:07 Need to get some bangers and burgers later!! Could you pop up a route map for the next bit please Neil because I am using a different map to guide us: (or draw it on here and I'll translate)

I've just found this rather chatty map in my pocket Mick.

Basically we take the shortest route up to the Military Road from Haltwhistle 2 miles ish straight up.
Then turn right onto the military road and cycle along to The Sill National Park Centre
This is where we divert left for a few hundred yards so we can do the wall walk
After the wall walk we head east along the Military road and either turn off to vindolanda which it what I will be doing, or head on and do a bit of canoeing on the lough by the side of the road further on, nowt to stop us doing both.

then just head onto the cafe at chollerford round tea-time.

Any problems with the map let me know :-D
map
map
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

On the Sausages and Burger front we will be passing through Wark Between Chollerford and Bellingham HQ of the Northumberland Sausage Company. By the wonders of virtuality they have agreed to supply our needs if we just knock on the door and use the phrase "the falcon flies over the north tyne"

http://www.northumbriansausagecompany.c ... -flavours/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I didnt realise this was a Cafe now, but I think the little pillar box served us well.

But heres a question on this down by the railway
temp4.png
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 6 Number 5
What is this structure called? (grade easy)
Which Firm Supply the teas and Coffees? (grade easy for me but I know!)
For those of you without inside North-east knowledge there a 2 big long established suppliers of Tea and Coffee in the North East. One of them still in a nice quaint way has a fleet of vans which do door to door deliveries of Tea/Coffee/ some superb ginger biscuits and other such things. They certainly used to use whicker baskets to carry the goods from Van/Bike/Horse and Cart to your door.

The other is a mainly supplier to the trade, but has a traditional retail stall selling its wares in the Grainger Market in Newcastle.

To solve the question, deduce the firms from my info, then compare their logos to the "sandwich board" outside our mystery building.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 23 May 2020, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

If we head off at our own pace and leisure hopefully by 5 oclock ish we will have reconvened at Chollerford for tea :-D

So long for now

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey