Pennine Cycleway NCN68 (&quiz) -On your virtual Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: On Your Virtual Bike:The Pennine Cycleway (&quiz)

Post by mickthemaverick »

OK so finally on the bike and heading for elevenses, time to get the grey matter going:

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 5 Number 1-Where might you see this on the first part of our journey and what could you expect to find inside?
BFTW
BFTW
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 22 May 2020, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I forgot to mention, thanks for looking after Bob yesterday Neil, he thoroughly enjoyed the day. However he advises me that he has been promoted from Social Secretary to Cultural Attaché and has his first recommendation for this evening's digs. Having thoroughly researched the places available in Alston, and ignoring those out to the east as they are too far off course with no cabs around, his offering is The Cumberland Hotel:
BFTW
BFTW
Nice bar:
BFTW
BFTW
and comfy surroundings:
BFTW
BFTW
So I'll call them at lunchtime and book for those who are happy with that and need a room
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 22 May 2020, 10:56 his offering is The Cumberland Hotel:
So I'll call them at lunchtime and book for those who are happy with that and need a room
That will suite me fine Mick. Our overnight stop at Alston is the last outpost of Cumbria on the trip, its all Northumberland and a small bit of Scotland after that.

Sedbergh is just a skip down the road from Dent so a morning coffee and cake will be a nice relaxing start.

Cheers Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 22 May 2020, 11:30, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 22 May 2020, 10:22 The other questions have been answered comprehensively so I'll leave it at that and get on with today's ride - can I suggest elevenses at Smatts?:

Excellent already there Seeing as we are in Cumbria I will let go my Taylors of Harrogate tea requirement and move onto this from old established firm Farrar's from Kendal, and to have a marginal French link I've selected a cafetiere of this...
..and to eat toasted teakake with raspberry jam and butter.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 22 May 2020, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and while we are supping I'll clear up the Boathouse Question.....and maybe you can reveal the answer to your Widdop reservoir one which I too comprehensively researched but came up without a satisfactory claim to fame other than someone who described it as the highest beach in Britain on Trip Advisor and the Valve tutter is grade II listed and inspired by the designer's visit to the Suez Canal :-D

So my boathouse one again springs from a "twitter fact" so may be rubbish but...
screenshot
screenshot
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

When we were in Sedburgh last year, although in Cumbria Will Carling's old School was hosting a Lancashire County Cricket match against my home County Durham.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I cannot believe the National Trust destroyed the central walkway!!! What were they thinking of.......oh, profit from the fly fishery no doubt!!
You found the answer I was after in the highest beach in Britain!! I did put up a picture of the "beach" as a half answer so I think you may have been looking too deep!! :-D Now it would be criminal to ride through Orton without buying some life sustaining chocolate for later on so I think I'll stop at Kennedy's for a quick coffee and a stock up - other venues are available :-D PS As Bob has just proved, he's gone to Friar's!!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

While we are in Orton I noticed the rather impressive church tower that you can see in the picture which just warrants a question so
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 5 Number 2- Who made some alterations to the church in the second half of the 19th Century and what was done?
BFTW
BFTW
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 22 May 2020, 12:01 Now it would be criminal to ride through Orton without buying some life sustaining chocolate for later on so I think I'll stop at Kennedy's for a quick coffee and a stock up - other venues are available :-D PS As Bob has just proved, he's gone to Friar's!!
You are setting a cracking pace Mick, Canny ride 16 ish miles from Sedbergh to Orton although I have been Ashes to Ashes-ing. Your number 1 quiz question for today is
Spoiler: show
The pepperpot restored quite recently and a bit of a community /educational resource I dont think Pepper would be your answer on the card or its former Sedbergh school heavily involved https://www.sedberghschool.org/senior/i ... /pepperpot
. Sedbergh is a bit of an oddball. In the yorkshire dales national park, but in Cumbria and hosting Lancashire County Cricket matches :-D

I think you will have departed Orton by the time I get there. I'll be calling in at the Orton Scar Cafe when I get there, been there before nice and relaxing.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 22 May 2020, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

With most of the places being little villages I think a substantial lunch in Appleby is called for. If necessary I'll fit my BSA winged wheel to catch up once I have finished in Orton. Look like I need a mooch around the Church to answer quiz question 2.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 May 2020, 12:19 Your number one quiz question for today is
The pepperpot restored quite recently and a bit of a community /educational resource I dont think Pepper would be your answer on the card or its former Sedbergh school heavily involved https://www.sedberghschool.org/senior/i ... /pepperpot
Regards Neil
The answer I was looking for is included in the page your link takes us to so I will give you a correct for that! The actual answer I had on the card was:
groups of local people using the building

Do you think A rendezvous in Appleby for lunch?
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Bob has been looking ahead to lunch (always thinking about his grub that lad! :-D ) and he found what is apparenty a cracking Ploughman's served at Temptations in Bridge Street, which is actually part of our route. Now you will already have noted his love of cheese so getting him to go anywhere else is a non starter. Thus Temptations, which does have cracking reviews , is the suggested site for Lunch:
BFTW
BFTW
screenshot
and the ploughmans:
BFTW
BFTW
They also offer a cracking range of Pizza's which may be my choice:
BFTW
BFTW
Ok with everyone else?
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I do love the virtual internet. When Neil mentioned the hard climb at the end of the day I had a brainwave and rang up a friend in the states about a device he invented and he agreed to ship a dozen of them to the Temptations cafe in Appleby for collection when we get there. All in 3 hours - fantastic :-D For a quick preview have a look and see if you'd like one. They are on special offer today and are going for the princely sum of a pint of best payable within the rest of the trip:

NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 22 May 2020, 12:51 Bob has been looking ahead to lunch (always thinking about his grub that lad! :-D ) and he found what is apparenty a cracking Ploughman's served at Temptations in Bridge Street, which is actually part of our route. Now you will already have noted his love of cheese so getting him to go anywhere else is a non starter. Thus Temptations, which does have cracking reviews , is the suggested site for Lunch:

They also offer a cracking range of Pizza's which may be my choice:

Right thats me in Appleby, but I'll take off the winged wheel for the next bit and try one of those things youve managed to get hold of Mick.

Reckon I'll go for a pizza too Mick.....bit of a toppings traditionalist though got to be pepperoni. Now I do like a bit of nice bread some fine olive oil and balsamic vinegar to tickle the tastebuds while the pizza arrives.

I'll ponder the quiz questions too!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and come on let me be the first to put my musical selection on.. well you didnt expect it to be obvious did you?

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey