Pennine Cycleway NCN68 (&quiz) -On your virtual Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: On Your Virtual Bike:The Pennine Cycleway (&quiz)

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

If youve just stepped into Cumbria after 4 days in the saddle from Derby what more appetising and appropriate nourishment could you possibly get.....
With local, real cask ales from Kirkby Lonsdale and additional guest beers from all over the country there’s the perfect pint to savour, either on its own or as an accompaniment to the bar meals on offer, ranging from light bites to giant home-made Cumberland Sausages.
Sometime after 8, myself and Bob will be taking on the giant home-made cumberland sausages at the Sun Inn. Join us if you can.

Later in the evening the George and Dragon Awaits and hip hip hooray it is a Brewery Tap. If Bob and me aren't full up from the Sun, we may just order "same again" from the George and Dragon and make the assessment who has the best cumberland sausage in town! :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

In preparation for the Giant Home-Made Cumberland Sausages to arrive They come with two fried eggs as standard
temp1 (2).png
An appropriate pint of Lonsdale Brewery Monumental for me, and Bob goes for a gentle start with a glass of House Red :-D or is it neat ribena?

Regards Neil

It would be nice to have a go at the 7 quiz questions of Day 4 in "the blog" but seeing as I set them myself its a bit difficult. Anyone care to put up another 2 loosely related to our Day 4 acivity from Barnoldswick to Dent so I can join in :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

After a frantic days cycling, I've now managed to recharge my mobile so I can get at t'internet :)

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:59 ...and a few Settle Questions

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 4
There is a Cave near Settle where fossils of mammoth, straight-tusked elephant, cave bear and hippopotamus, Bos primigenius, Rhinoceros leptorhinus and spotted hyenas (as a bed of hyena bones) were found, What is the name of the cave :?:

I'm guessing that would be Victoria Cave ?

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 5
The Footbridge over the Railway was removed from a Station on the East Coast Rail Line following its Electrification. Which station did it originally come from :?:

That would appear to be Drem station up in East Lothian

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 6
What connects comedian Ken Goodwin with Settle :?:
Would that refer to his catchphrase "Settle down now" ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 21 May 2020, 21:18 After a frantic days cycling, I've now managed to recharge my mobile so I can get at t'internet :)

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 May 2020, 14:59 ...and a few Settle Questions

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 4
There is a Cave near Settle where fossils of mammoth, straight-tusked elephant, cave bear and hippopotamus, Bos primigenius, Rhinoceros leptorhinus and spotted hyenas (as a bed of hyena bones) were found, What is the name of the cave :?:

I'm guessing that would be Victoria Cave ?

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 5
The Footbridge over the Railway was removed from a Station on the East Coast Rail Line following its Electrification. Which station did it originally come from :?:

That would appear to be Drem station up in East Lothian

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 6
What connects comedian Ken Goodwin with Settle :?:
Would that refer to his catchphrase "Settle down now" ?
3 out of 3 there well done. If you get in the swing of it put up a couple for me please, I'm missing Micks posers!

Cheers Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 May 2020, 12:13 I like a Milestone, this is a nice one in Gargrave,
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 1-How Far is it to Liverpool?
REgards Neil

By my calculations - 93 ?
NewcastleFalcon

Yes!
tick.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Yeah - but what you don't realise is that I had a little diversion today. In order to work out the answer, I hitched a ride to Liverpool at lunchtime and cycled the canal tow path until I came across that milepost so I could find out what it said. You'll be pleased to know that it is correct as I zeroed the mileometer on the Brompton when I set off and the reading agrees with what the post says. Glad I got that one sorted. I'm exhausted now - not sure I'll be much company in the bar this evening as my legs ache a bit and I'm a little sunburnt :shock:
NewcastleFalcon

There is only the Boathouse/National trust question left excellent work!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 May 2020, 13:21 Well got a couple of fat rascals to keep us going at the Farm Shop, and did another bit of corner cutting by taking the cove road up to Malham tarn. Had a wander round and discovered this rather beautiful boathouse in the "care" of the National Trust apparently.
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 2 and 3
2 Who built this Boathouse :?:
(well or had it built cant imagine he was much of a stonemason). 3. What (allegedly) did the National Trust do when they ordered boats that were too big for the boathouse :?: (2017/18-ish)
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Time to adjourn to the George and Dragon, couple of tunes, some of the Brewery Tap Beer, then a short crawl next door or so to the B&B and hope Mick Joins us on Day 5.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Two tracks on the jukebox and we are out of here, back to B&B. Anyone want a room for the night we've left it open should Mick turn up.

So if you walk over to a jukebox and put something on in a strange place you want something with a decent buzz to kick off. So two of my favourite intros coming up

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Day 4 done, Next Leg Day 5 Dent to Alston including the Hartside Pass.

Main Towns and Villages Dent Sedbergh, Greenholme, Orton (Choice of 2 Cafes), Great Asby, Appleby, Hilton, Murton, Dufton, Milburn, Melmerby, Hartside Top, Alston.
The rough Guide
Day 1 Derby to Whaley BridgeImage
Day 2 Whaley Bridge to SlaithwaiteImage
Day 3 Slaithwaite to BarnoldswickImage
Day 4 Barnoldswick to DentImage
Day 5 Dent to Alston
Day 6 Alston to Bellingham
Day 7 Bellingham to Wooler
Day 8 Wooler to Berwick
The map of the route if you choose the overlay on the OS map on the Sustrans Site can take it down to a very detailed level.

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-rout ... /route-68/
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 22 May 2020, 09:32, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'm back on the bike at last!! Nightmare yesterday with 'welded' discs and disintegrating pad springs.. Two trips to spares shop which is 12 miles from man cave which in itself is 25 miles from home!! Still finally got it all sorted with a borrowed induction heater and three years worth of favours from my mechanical genius mate Dave!! Finally got home at 8.30 last night and spent 30 mins getting cleaned up. By then I was too knackered to even call the chopper to fly back so he collected me this morning and just dropped me outside the G&D where they are still clearing up after some cycling car club called in last night for a night cap and apparently drained the place of yorkshire ale and red wine!! Just going to grab some brekkie while Ashes to Ashes is on, then ready to try and tie up any loose ends from yesterday and get on with today's plan :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Great to have you back Mick, wasnt the same without you. I've been looking at the route and mapped out some stopping places. No accommodation booked yet.

Good Morning all. Hearty breakfast needed today, as others who have cycled this way before us testify, this is the longest day 67 miles, and its loaded at the end of the day with the most stenuous climb up Hartside Pass. So my plan for the day is to take the bit to Hartside as leisurely as possible and to stock up with calories at every opportunity along the way.

Once at the top of Hartside the reward is a downhill cruise to overnight accommodation in Alston.

So my proposed stopping places are Sedbergh, Orton, Appleby, Dufton, and Melmerby at the Village Bakery & Cafe just before the Hartside climb. Pause at the top. Its a virtual ride so we will ignore the fact that the iconic cafe and destination stop off point for generations of mororists, bikers, cylists and hikers, was burnt down. In the virtual world its still there.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Proposals for the New Hartside Cafe
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Well, I've spent a fair while looking for the National Trust's solution to the boathouse problem without any success at all. I've learnt lots about Malham Tarn including the likely builder of the boathouse being a certain Mr Morrison (Walther I think!) but other than that I've drawn a blank. On an earlier question, if you deduct 33¼ from the 127 mile length of the canal you would get Liverpool 92¾ so as you already know it says 93 and we'll forgive the apparent inaccuracy of either the milestone or the actual length :-D Either way I've learnt lots which is one object of the exercise! The other questions have been answered comprehensively so I'll leave it at that and get on with today's ride - can I suggest elevenses at Smatts?:
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!