Pennine Cycleway NCN68 (&quiz) -On your virtual Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: On Your Virtual Bike:The Pennine Cycleway (&quiz)

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'm off to have my coffee and then read up on chopper flying for tomorrow in case the pilot does a runner on me :-D I'll leave you chaps to ponder on the unsolved questions and hopefully catch up with you in Dent if not before!! Night all :knackered: :knackered:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Night Mick Hope it goes well and you are back on The Pennine Cycleway ASAP :-D

The unresolved as yet quiz questions which I will wrestle with. I think BoB and me will just have our takeaways in our rooms and tackle the quiz there :-D
mickthemaverick wrote: 20 May 2020, 12:54 Had a very nice coffee and macaroon at Robin's Nest and we have now reached Sowerby Bridge where I discovered there used to be a thriving engine manufacturing plant.
So Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 3 Number 4 is: What type of engines were built here?

Had a lovely ride around the town and came across a vandalised picture on the wall. It appears to show some sort of gathering but the vandals have sprayed over the relevant part!
So Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 3 Number 5 is: What is going on in the picture?:

mickthemaverick wrote: 20 May 2020, 15:56 From here we'll peddle up to Widdop Reservoir to see its claim to fame and have a paddle.
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 3 Number 6 is: What is the reservoir's claim to fame?
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

My attempts are in the spoilers
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 3 Number 4 is: What type of engines were built here?
Spoiler: show
From 1892 to 1930 Pollit & Wigzell manufactured stationary steam engines for the cotton and woollen mills of Yorkshire, Lancashire and India. Wood Brothers, an engineering and millwright company, also produced engines from its Valley Iron Works. The Markfield Beam Engine in north London is an example of its work.
So Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 3 Number 5 is: What is going on in the picture?:
That is the Sowerby Bridge Rush Bearing Festival....the annual ceremony of (now nominally) taking rushes to churches for covering the floors throughout winter, still takes place in Sowerby Bridge over the first weekend of September.
From here we'll peddle up to Widdop Reservoir to see its claim to fame and have a paddle.
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 3 Number 6 is: What is the reservoir's claim to fame
Cant find any claim to fame. Someone on trip adviser commented Highest beach in Britain but it isnt much of a beach just a dusting of sand. Other than that a submerged building or two, ancient bits of pottery found...no stand out fame bit that I can find. Been through quite a bit of this which must be the chapter and verse on Widdop but not standout claim to fame jumps out http://www.widdop.moonfruit.com/ An episode of Juliet Bravo was filmed on Widdop Moor presumably with a glimpse of the reservoir for a few seconds.

The Valve Tower is Grade II Listed by Historic England
SD 93SW HEPTONSTALL C.P. WIDDOP RESERVOIR SD 935326 Heptonstall 3/181 Valve tower to south-east corner of Widdop Reservoir -

- II

Valve-tower for Widdop Reservoir constructed 1872-1878 by John La Trobe Bateman engineer. Large ashlar blocks, bitumen roof. Square on plan with tapering sides. Egyptian in style. Door to south has monolithic jambs with batter. Corners have tapering pilasters acting as buttresses to frieze. Projecting double cornice. Sides and rear have rectangular windows with large plain stone surrounds. A unique building, the engineer deriving the inspiration for the design after his visit to Egypt to witness the opening of the Suez Canal.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

No Mick On a Bike today but we will follow this plan after a leisurely start slipping back into Yorkshire and ending up at Dent just into Cumbria.
mickthemaverick wrote: 20 May 2020, 20:23 Morning Coffee in Gargrave:
Lunch in Settle:
Afternoon Tea in Ingleton:
B&B in Dent,
This area has Geography field trip in 1976 written all over it, Limestone caves, limestone pavements, sink holes, gaping gill, glacial erratics, caves, stalactites and stalagmites, accommodation purposely designed to have a sort of imprisonment factor being miles from any potential over indulgence at local hostelries.

All kicked off with a very nice walk at Ingleton up the river to Thornton Force and back, and been back many times since.

Porridge and bananas for breakfast this morning, and off we go.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

After Gargrave I may be tempted to take a diversion up around NCN10 via Malham Cove and Malham Tarn just for old times sake and rejoin the 68 Pennine cycleway at Stainforth with a bit of off piste corner cutting. Bob seems like he's always keen for a paddle so Malham tarn would be ideal.

Malham Cove
No machine-readable author provided. Dbenbenn assumed (based on copyright claims). / CC BY-SA

Malham Tarn 2
No machine-readable author provided. Dbenbenn assumed (based on copyright claims). / CC BY-SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)

There is also an excellent Farm Shop which featured on the TV series with views of Malham Cove https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b090r2 . Yes we will be stuffed after Gargrave, but that doesnt stop us getting a little snack to reward the climb up to Malham Tarn and a vigorous paddle will soon burn the calories off!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I like a Milestone, this is a nice one in Gargrave, the morning coffee stop on the Leeds Liverpool Canal which passes through. The Dalesman is a bit of an iconic cafe well packed out with other cyclists and hikers, and generous portions of Banana loaf, and I went for a pot of Taylors of Harrogate's English Breakfast Leaf Tea, supplied with strainer, and a bowl of sugar cubes with tongs. Think Bob's missing Mick, he just had the same as me.

We have decided to do the Malham detour, and have a canoe on Malham Tarn so its going to be a late lunch at Settle.
The famous Dalesman's Cafe in Gargrave

© Oliver Dixon[/a], [url=http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/]cc-by-sa.
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 1-How Far is it to Liverpool?
screenshot
screenshot
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well got a couple of fat rascals to keep us going at the Farm Shop, and did another bit of corner cutting by taking the cove road up to Malham tarn. Had a wander round and discovered this rather beautiful boathouse in the "care" of the National Trust apparently.
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 2 and 3
2 Who built this Boathouse :?:
(well or had it built cant imagine he was much of a stonemason). 3. (allegedly) did the National Trust do when they ordered boats that were too big for the boathouse :?: (2017/18-ish)
screenshot
screenshot
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 21 May 2020, 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Late Lunch already no sign of Mick so we'll Settle for a while in Settle after out boating escapades on Malham Tarn.

So this was the venue chosen....so its alfresco eating round the back of the Talbot Arms

Two belly fillers, with a little bit of rabbit food for our 5 a day

Afternoon Tea after this in Ingleton where I need to have a quick trip over to Thornton Force for old times sake, so it might be a very late afternoon tea so I've used my virtual smart phone to phone ahead and make arrangements for a late arrival.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and a few Settle Questions
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 4
There is a Cave near Settle where fossils of mammoth, straight-tusked elephant, cave bear and hippopotamus, Bos primigenius, Rhinoceros leptorhinus and spotted hyenas (as a bed of hyena bones) were found, What is the name of the cave :?:

This is the Very picturesque Settle Station
Rth Rly Settle Station 04.06.2015 edited-4
RuthAS / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 5
The Footbridge over the Railway was removed from a Station on the East Coast Rail Line following its Electrification. Which station did it originally come from :?:
Both 4 an 5 are easily lookupable and 6 is just easy
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 6
What connects comedian Ken Goodwin with Settle :?:
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 21 May 2020, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Sticking with the rendezvous points The Pennine Cycleway FCF circus has just arrived in Ingleton.

Bob picked out the Inglesport Cafe and seing as there was a picture of their nice scones thats what we are having.

Its a Tea day for me today, so its the usual Pot of Taylors and I dont mind having breakfast leaf all day long, tea strainer and sugar cubes with tongs.
Today has undoubtedly seen the pennines at their best, blue skies with the odd fluffy white cloud, clear and clean, bird song and spring blossom and meadows covered in wild flowers.

After tea Bob might forge on ahead in the Dent direction, but I am definitely going to take a stoll up to Thornton force, may even have a refreshing shower in its waters.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 21 May 2020, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Thornton force
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

...and an Ingleton Question
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 7
What is the link between the author of "A Study in Scarlet" and Ingleton :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 May 2020, 17:15 ...and an Ingleton Question
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Day 4 Number 7
What is the link between the author of "A Study in Scarlet" and Ingleton :?:

Regards Neil
His mother lived near there?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 21 May 2020, 18:39
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 May 2020, 17:15 ...and an Ingleton Question
Regards Neil
His mother lived near there?
That is correct James. The wiki page on Ingleton also speculates that on visiting his mother there were associations with the name Sherlock and Holmes which may give credence to the name Sherlock Holmes being inspired by those connections.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Just pulled up at the B&B planning a short nap, and head out later on. I think it would be rude not to give all of the Hostelries in Dent a bit of custom. Not sure if they all serve food but we could even have an advancing supper.

Anyone else joining in or staying overnight there's plenty of rooms. Just knock on the door to wake us up, or put something on at loud volume in a nearby hostelry and Bob and me will be there. Still hoping Mick rejoins us tonight.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.2778655 ... 312!8i6656

Cheers Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey