Pennine Cycleway NCN68 (&quiz) -On your virtual Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: On Your Virtual Bike:The Pennine Cycleway (&quiz)

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thats me at the Cafe....and guess what following on from Canned heat I've just autoplayed on and at the moment for the first time in probably 40 years I have decided to inflict the cafe with a bit of wind down blues with Rory Gallagher's guitar wailing over the top of a slow blues riff. Perfect end of day sit down with a cup of tea outside in a Buxton cafe inflicting the entire streetscape with a bit of my music.

If you are a Rory Gallagher fan or a blues fan, or a customer at the Buxton Cafe accompanying us on our virtual Pennine Cycleway you will enjoy this,

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I thought that was one of the tracks reserved for Nerds in their C2/3/4s pulling up at the lights beside me with their 850 watt RMS per channel systems running in overdrive while I try and listen to the test match commentary!! Not for me I'm afraid so I shall mosey onward and upward with the promise of Hotpot bristling my nostrils! :-D Do you fancy sharing a bottle or two of Merlot or similar with the meal? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 18 May 2020, 17:47 Not for me I'm afraid so I shall mosey onward and upward with the promise of Hotpot bristling my nostrils! :-D Do you fancy sharing a bottle or two of Merlot or similar with the meal? :)
Thats a shame Mick, I mean I've just arrived in Buxton, and a bit of alfresco slow blues from Rory has me so chilled I cant even be bothered to find a postbox, milestone , or fire hydrant to photograph. :-D I'll just finish my tea and cake, fill up a bottle of Buxton's finest mineral water from St Ann's Well and slowly pedal the six miles or so to the B&B.

I'll tackle the quiz question number 5 and maybe dream up another poser of my own to keep us going. Maybe something on Buxton....feel a touch sorry for it.....haven't even skimmed the surface with a finding out visit, just stuffed myself with cake had a cuppa or two and inflicted Rory Gallagher on assembled throng. Never mind I enjoyed it :-D

Regards Neil

PS Yes Merlot will be fine, I find my virtual capacity for alcohol seems to be exponentially greater than my actual so I'll easily sink the Merlot and have room for as many local ales as we can find.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well the thing is Buxton used to be an annual stop for us when we were rallying. Hence I have roamed its streets and sampled its ales on many occasions whereas Whaley Bridge has passed me by up to now and we thought we might have a quick paddle around the reservoir before settling down for dinner at The Cock. So the plan is to go to the B&B first and check in and collect a key so we can enjoy The Cock to its fullest extent after dinner. Hence the decision to plough on to get in a paddle!! :-D Glad you enjoyed your tea and cake and the infliction of the Blues on the locals. :)
NewcastleFalcon

Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Number 5
mickthemaverick wrote: 18 May 2020, 16:48 I guess it's time to get back in the saddle for the last leg through Buxton to Whaley Bridge. On the way we will pass by a property owned by Norbert Dentressangle which gives me the opportunity to pose Question Number 5: Where is the property and name three of its uses in the last 80 years!
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Number 6
1. Where is it?
2. No really Where is it exactly?
3. What is it?
4. Yes I know but What is it exactly?
screenshot
screenshot
Come on folks bit of easy participation...you don't even have to have cycled 50 odd miles to join in :-D
Hot Pot and bottle of Merlot at the Cock Whaley Bridge for all participants :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

On our way here we passed a particularly handsome church:
BFTW
BFTW
and then on our way through Buxton we did spot their rather special tour bus!! :)
BFTW
BFTW
But now we are luxuriating in a quick paddle on Toddbrook Reservoir before dinner:
HMMM
HMMM
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Almost done bike
Almost done bike
Nearly there with the Brompton, just a few more bolts to tighten. To save keeping the kitchen open, I'll grab a burger from the van in the station car park. I'll join you as soon as I can. Looking forward to a pint when I get there :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

My answers are, no peeking if you haven't had a go!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 May 2020, 18:36
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Number 6

Spoiler: show
1. Where is it? Buxton
2. No really Where is it exactly? In the Pavillion Gardens in Buxton
3. What is it? Pillar Box
4. Yes I know but What is it exactly? PB.9/i made by Cochrane & Co of Dudley between 1872 and 1879
Bugger it, dropped my paddle!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Well done Mick! It is actually Grade II listed by Historic England , didnt actually see it in the flesh! I'll have a go at your number 5 now. I'm just going to lug my bike up to my room, are you putting the canoes in yours?
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... ry/1257818
BUXTON
SK0573NE THE SQUARE 616-1/3/4 (North East side) 18/06/86 Postbox at the junction with Water Street (Formerly Listed as: WATER STREET AND THE SQUARE Box 1 Pavilion)

GV II
Postbox. 1866. Penfold design. Cast-iron. Moulded and decorated ogee cap with acorn finial, over hexagonal plan on moulded base. Royal coat of arms over recessed posting slot, flanked by the inscriptions "Post" and "Office" within raised bands. Beneath this are the raised initials "VR" positioned over the collection times plate which is in a raised moulded surround. Inscription to base reads "Cochrane and Dudley".

Listing NGR: SK0568973518
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

We've locked the canoes up at the reservoir boathouse and are heading for some Cumbria Way. Are you joining us in an appetising pint before we order dinner?
If Bobins gets there in time it must be his round I reckon, all the peddling and paddling has knackered me completely :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Well I wasn't expecting to add the name of Norbert Dentressangle to my stock of fascinating trivia as a result of starting the Pennine Cycleway :-D
Pennine Cycleway Quiz Question Number 5
mickthemaverick wrote: 18 May 2020, 16:48 I guess it's time to get back in the saddle for the last leg through Buxton to Whaley Bridge. On the way we will pass by a property owned by Norbert Dentressangle which gives me the opportunity to pose Question Number 5: Where is the property and name three of its uses in the last 80 years!
:Harpur Hill according to wiki....
use 1 In 1938 the RAF used Harpur Hill as an underground munitions store. Tunnels were dug out to house munitions and ordnance. When the RAF left the use 2 tunnels were used as a mushroom farm. When the tunnels closed they were use 3 sold to a group of local businessmen, trading as Stowtime, and used as a cold store for cheese; a warehouse was built for dry and bonded wines and spirits. A number of local hauliers provided the transport for these goods, the most notable being Lomas Distribution. The business was bought out by Christian Salvesen and was a major employer in the area; it later sold the site to French transport company Norbert Dentressangle. Many of the bunkers can still be seen in the surrounding hillside.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 18 May 2020, 19:45 Are you joining us in an appetising pint before we order dinner?
I'll just have a ceremonial draught guinness in an ashtray to start Mick, in my own homage to Treacle the Labrador, and the great Betty Turpin's largess! I'll move on to the local beers and the merlot in due course.

Just about to make my entrance, would be nice if there was something appropriate playing on the jukebox as my walk on music!.....(yes respectful if possible...use your discretion Mick :-D. Jonny Wilkinson used to walk on at Newcastle Falcons to "Simply the Best" just a hint :-D )

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 18 May 2020, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

mickthemaverick wrote: 18 May 2020, 19:45
If Bobins gets there in time it must be his round I reckon, all the peddling and paddling has knackered me completely :-D

Yeah.... might be a problem with that, Mick. This Brompton's trickier to assemble than I remember. I just need to download some instructions. Don't wait up for me.......
Where's the instructions......
Where's the instructions......
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Guinness is in the ashtray, though Bob did have a quick taste, :-D , but with your riding kit there can only be one tune to greet you:

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

bobins wrote: 18 May 2020, 20:16
Yeah.... might be a problem with that, Mick. This Brompton's trickier to assemble than I remember. I just need to download some instructions. Don't wait up for me.......
The lengths some people will go to ......... :-D

Try this: