FCF Desert Island Discs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: FCF Desert Island Discs

Post by mickthemaverick »

To be honest Neil I wouldn't know. I deliberately ignored who and what the albums were, in order to avoid prejudicing my selections! Besides I already have a significant back catalogue to post with my singles! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I'm sure the Velevets could contribute a track or two.
I should trawl through my heap, I'm sure there will be some terminally boring covers among them.

Have to take issue with the CSNY album being boring. One of my favourites. I did have the Shadders album next to it, no idea what happened to that, or what was on it.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I thought I only had two singles, Black - Sweetest Smile and Pretenders - Hymn to her.
But Scarlett Ribbons (Harry Belafonte) fell out of a cupboard last week.

Very rarely bought any singles, would always buy the LP they were on in preference.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

myglaren wrote: 13 May 2020, 13:16
Have to take issue with the CSNY album being boring. One of my favourites. ....
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 May 2020, 09:08 Its all a matter of personal opinion, and no reflection on the music content
Its the boring artwork (of course in my opinion) Steve, not the music! Any decent tracks on it?
screenshot
screenshot
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well, as a little aside, this appears on a list of around 500 or more albums whose covers do not have the name of the album or the artist on them.....

Occasionally its nice to have a really easy whatsthisthen…but I wonder why it was chosen for what was probably, and I am no great historian of the artist, at the time a significant release. The pic is of course not the full album cover but a piece digitally torn off it by yours truly.
temp3.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I've been up and down that list about 5 times and I am concerned that a number of the albums are blanked from view. I cannot find the right pattern to match your clipping so I am wondering if you have resized it as well? Need a clue of some sort here!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

My apologies Mick, I think the album will be known to you and you may even have it. On the wordy side both on what I said in the original post, and that slight addition just mentioned, I think you could arrive at an answer maybe even without the visuals.

If I had put any more info in the torn off piece I think you would have got it in less than five seconds.

Even then I thought the torn off piece would give too much away to you so I flipped it vertically in paint.

Quite happy to give a bit more info, but have a quick five minutes and I'll expand my tearing off bit a fraction and you will get it quite easily.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Here's the "expansion" top image is the "right way up" bottom image is flipped vertically
temp3.png
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 13 May 2020, 18:16 I've been up and down that list about 5 times and I am concerned that a number of the albums are blanked from view. I cannot find the right pattern to match your clipping so I am wondering if you have resized it as well? Need a clue of some sort here!! :-D
Bit more if you need it....the album was included in that bloggers list of 500 and while it is true to say the name of the artist does not appear on the front cover, it does appear on the back with what has been described as an iconic photograph.

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Would the last track be "Kreen-Akrore" by any chance? :-D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

This is one of my favourites.

Reminds me of Lord Of The Rings.
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 13 May 2020, 20:23 Would the last track be "Kreen-Akrore" by any chance? :-D
...inspired by a UK television documentary on the Kreen-Akrore Indians, titled The Tribe That Hides From Man.?

Of course Mick. I've been reading about that album, and the effective vehicle for the announcement of the end of the Beatles. Reading about it in this account now. Never came across it and realised it before today. As well as the family photos and the iconic image of Paul with Mary tucked inside his coat produced by LInda, the artwork as a whole was put together by Gordon House of Hipgnosis and designer Roger Huggett.

http://www.wingspan.ru/bookseng/myfn/bmiles14.html

When did the penny drop Mick? Well done..have you got the album!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 May 2020, 20:47
When did the penny drop Mick?

REgards Neil
As soon as I saw the black surround it tweaked some recognition but I still couldn't place it straight away. Another scan through the list and I had a #-o #-o #-o moment!! At that point I went up to find the album but it would appear to no longer be in my collection upstairs. That means it is either in my record store down at my man cave or it was one of the 350 or so which were left behind when I moved house after my divorce. I don't honestly know but I will have a look through the man cave stock when I can go back down there. Hopefully in the next few days the yard will be re-opened for access. I remember being a bit disappointed with it when it was released as I felt something was missing!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 13 May 2020, 20:59
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 May 2020, 20:47
When did the penny drop Mick?

REgards Neil
As soon as I saw the black surround it tweaked some recognition but I still couldn't place it straight away. Another scan through the list and I had a #-o #-o #-o moment!! At that point I went up to find the album but it would appear to no longer be in my collection upstairs. That means it is either in my record store down at my man cave or it was one of the 350 or so which were left behind when I moved house after my divorce. I don't honestly know but I will have a look through the man cave stock when I can go back down there. Hopefully in the next few days the yard will be re-opened for access. I remember being a bit disappointed with it when it was released as I felt something was missing!! :-D
I like it when a bit of whatsthisthen?-ing creates a bit of energy in the real world :-D I thought even a hint at those scattered cherries on the cover would give it away for you. Looks like "Maybe I'm Amazed" was the stand out track.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 May 2020, 21:10
I like it when a bit of whatsthisthen?-ing creates a bit of energy in the real world :-D I thought even a hint at those scattered cherries on the cover would give it away for you. Looks like "Maybe I'm Amazed" was the stand out track.

Regards Neil
Yes it was probably the most played but I preferred Junk, because there was something amusing about the song and I liked the guitar in it. Personally I didn't think Paul got anywhere near his previous heights until Mull of Kintyre but then neither did John before Imagine IMHO of course :-D