FCF Desert Island Discs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: FCF Desert Island Discs

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 12 May 2020, 12:32 MY answers to your queries, no help from you know who, thoroughly enjoyed digging..are:
You got the lot! This was the little paragraph I came across on the Darkside of the Moon Cover
Spoiler: show
from here https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/the-grap ... pink-floyd

Album artwork, Darkside of the Moon, 1973. Designed by Storm Thorgerson / Aubrey Powell at Hipgnosis

"When Thorgerson and Powell visited Abbey Road during the final sessions for the album, Richard 'Rick' Wright suggested that they break with tradition on their next cover design – Darkside of the Moon. "Rick said, 'For God's sake, let's not have another one of your surreal ideas'", recalls Powell. "He also told us how much he liked the packaging on a box of Black Magic chocolates – just black and white. He considered that a great piece of simple product design. Storm and I left the studio rather depressed". Feeling starved of inspiration, Powell leafed through a physics textbook and stopped at a drawing of a glass paperweight on a piece of sheet music, with light streaming through a window to create a rainbow effect on the paper: "Storm saw it, clicked his fingers and said, 'that's it'".
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Best I could do was 5 & 6 :(
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 12 May 2020, 16:48 Best I could do was 5 & 6 :(
2 and 3 are easy with a magnifying glass as are 8 and 9 Steve :-D .....Nothing hidden, Name on the cover.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 May 2020, 11:02 While we wait for more selections, and for maybe even a few debutants/regular posters to join in here's another set of selections from me. This time its on the pure artwork alone, and I've gone novel (in parts) rather than just churn out my own stock of well-loved album covers. So heres the nine.

I have delved.....one of the selections is from the origins of album art....delve yourself if you feel inclined. Who is it by and when was it and who did he work for :?:

Scanning through a blog post about him with many examples of his work I came across the one in the bottom right. Inspiration for DSOTM perhaps or was DSOTM inspired by the Black Magic Chocolate box of the time, or the bands fedupness with surreal artwork on their albums :?: Anyway again scope for a delve yourself and report back with the "correct story" and the name of the design studio who produced many of Pink Floyd's covers.

I let the top left album play on and enjoyed it, again a novelty but I have a sneaking suspicion I have come across the artist before within our humble forum, and wouldn't be at all surprised if our West Sussex correspondent was responsible. Again if you want to....find out the name of the artist :?: or Name the full set of nine :?:

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I didn't look very closely, just went for albums I have listened to and Blur are not among them nor Supertramp.
I do have the Emperor concerto but a DG version.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 May 2020, 11:02
I let the top left album play on and enjoyed it, again a novelty but I have a sneaking suspicion I have come across the artist before within our humble forum, and wouldn't be at all surprised if our West Sussex correspondent was responsible.

Regards Neil
The defendant pleads 'Not Guilty' Again !!! :lol:

Not another DID 9 from me, though I do own some of these.

What do these records have in common ?
9 albums
9 albums
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 12 May 2020, 19:11
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 May 2020, 11:02
I let the top left album play on and enjoyed it, again a novelty but I have a sneaking suspicion I have come across the artist before within our humble forum, and wouldn't be at all surprised if our West Sussex correspondent was responsible.

Regards Neil
The defendant pleads 'Not Guilty' Again !!! :lol:
Just a gentle thought not an accusation :-D I thought if anyone on the forum had come across it would be yourself or Steve, and possibly more you than him? Doing an FCF search on the fruit and or the dessert has proved fruitless (and dessertless) for that matter, although a track could have been posted up in a you tube vid without a wordy introduction.

Are you familiar with the album? I quite enjoyed it.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

bobins wrote: 12 May 2020, 19:11 Not another DID 9 from me, though I do own some of these.

With my paddling around today in the history of album cover art, and coming across Deceptive Bends/Houses of the Holy/Alan Parsons Project in my travels I should be able to find the common link. Came across many of the major players in album cover designs over the years so I'm going to plump for one of them without checking my answer, and without looking up the exact spelling.
Should we just call him Storm! either after he left or was with that lot that did the Pink Floyd artwork
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

bobins wrote: 12 May 2020, 19:11
Not another DID 9 from me, though I do own some of these.

The commonality is that they all appear in this list: :-D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipgnosis#Discography
ie all the covers designed by Hipgnosis

The albums in keypad order are:
1. Argus Wishbone Ash
2. Wings over America PM & Wings
3. The Lamb Dies Down on Broadway Genesis
4. Smallcreeps Day Mike Rutherford
5. Houses of the Holy Led Zeppelin
6. Eye in the Sky The Alan Parsons Project
7. Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel
8. Songwriter Justin Hayward
9. Deceptive Bends 10cc
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Whatsthisthen? for the car going up on the appropriate thread. Really easy to look up unfortunately so just a quick one hopefully....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

In my best Eurovision Song Contest voice: 'Nul Points' to both of you :shock:
....but only because there were no points on offer :-D

You are, indeed, both correct. =D>
Seeing the Hipgnosis reference earlier, I'd immediately thought of Judie Tzuke - Welcome To The Cruise (a favourite of mine, but not quite up there with the DID selections), and went from there onto a foray into the assorted output of Hipgnosis :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Very nearly got round to putting up a few albums whose covers were done by the same artist responsible for Santana's Abraxas cover which almost made it into my nine. I chose one of Santana's other albums Borboletta in my 9 Desert Island Selections for its striking cover.

This chap here
http://www.matiklarweinart.com/artworkgallery.php

Surreal Art and Music Albums seem to go hand in hand.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Maybe someone can come up with their choice of the 9 dullest album covers for our perusal, to chuck overboard before the desert island is reached. You know the type of thing "5 band Members standing in a row", Andrew and George looking miserable etc

Join in if you can

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 May 2020, 21:02 Maybe someone can come up with their choice of the 9 dullest album covers for our perusal, to chuck overboard before the desert island is reached. You know the type of thing "5 band Members standing in a row", Andrew and George looking miserable etc

Join in if you can

Regards Neil
Its all a matter of personal opinion, and no reflection on the music content at all but even the greats have the odd unimaginative album cover in their catalogue.
temp4.png

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

An interesting question, what covers are the most boring. Well I asked myself 4 questions:
Does it give you any information about the music?
Would you hang it on the wall as a picture?
Does it inspire you to pick it up in the store and read it?
Do you like it?

If I got 3 or more no's I added it to my selection. I ended up with 10 covers so I put the first 9 together as my selection and I have added the 10th below with the question "Would you find this as an advertising poster on Hampstead Heath?
micks lps.png
And the poster?
BFTW
BFTW
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Do any of "9" merit a track or two on the Pickled Egg Jukebox.....I may have put "Femme Fatale" on from your top left at some time....I'll give it a search....and indeed I did...

viewtopic.php?p=623585&hilit=nico#p623585

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey