Music Education/Information

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Music Education/Information

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have started this thread because I wanted to share the clip I have just found but I cannot see where else it could belong!!
I have long been an admirer of Leonard Bernstein and consequently when this clip came up the side I watched it. As I have never been trained in Music, only in instruments, I found this exceptionally difficult to follow but fascinating nevertheless, and I am sure others will agree. I do think that the percussion posts I put onto the PE Jukebox yesterday would be better sited on this thread too if an administrator could move them over please?

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Music Education/Information

Post by myglaren »

I have absolutely zero theoretical education in music either, not instruments beyond the usual recorder in school and a guitar shortly after neither of which I was any good at.
The only instruments I can play are the record deck and the CD-player.

Many years ago I heard someone on the radio say how intricate classical music was and that the notes wove a story into the music that untrained plebs would never appreciate and to them it was just a nice noise.

I am that pleb and yes, it is a nice noise - not all of it though.

Were you inspired by Evelyn Glennie? I saw her on TV many years ago and was 'gobsmacked' by her. Not that she was so good at her chosen profession but that she chose it in the first place and overcame such adversity to do it.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Music Education/Information

Post by mickthemaverick »

Indeed I was Steve, after watching your post yesterday I went searching this morning and found her in concert on the link below. It was while I was watching that performance that the Bernstein link came up. I am beginning to wonder whether to pursue it any further or just to settle for being the listener in awe that I have always been :-D My fundamental failing is that I have random tone deafness which prevents me from singing or playing any ear defined instruments. Thus I am dubious about my ability to enhance my music education in any formal direction!! :)

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!