FCF Desert Island Discs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: FCF Desert Island Discs

Post by myglaren »

bobins wrote: 09 May 2020, 18:42
myglaren wrote: 09 May 2020, 17:54
Put that in a Toshiba DVD player and it played for a while then went haywire. I was now suspecting the amp too. (I play the sound track from DVDs through the stereo, not the TV speakers)
Put the Penguin Café one in and it was fine, then the Mazzy Star one, again no problem. Looks like the CD player is borked. Much unhappiness.

My friendly local HiFi place is closed, of course and I can imagine that it won't be a cheap fix.
I happily replaced the laser and transport on my lovely old Marantz late last year. I don't even think I'd go near your one wearing white cotton gloves. :shock:
:rofl2:
I was grovelling about in some cupboards a couple of days ago and discovered two spare sets of feet for it, domed rubber and spikes. Excellent, you might think. Three of each. There are four feet.
But along with them were the white cotton gloves that came with it too :)

I do have a nice Marantz CD 63-2 KI Signature with a lovely numbered certificate - limited edition.
Bought for 1/3 of the price from said friendly local hifi joint.
The Shanling is the favourite though.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

screenshot
screenshot
Steve, Mick put a name to this in his spoiler, but I for one have run out of searches to identify it.

I guess it isn't the obvious Ting Tings but a Japanese/Malaysian artist which I haven't heard of and who Google struggles to find.

Any chance of giving the definitive answer on that one?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

myglaren wrote: 09 May 2020, 19:40
I do have a nice Marantz CD 63-2 KI Signature with a lovely numbered certificate - limited edition.
That's exactly what I've got out in the back room. Bought new, and never regretted. Unfortunately, I don't get to listen to it as much as I'd like to as I like to be uninterrupted whilst listening........ and also one of the speakers is currently obscured by crates and crates of my late father-in-laws stamp collection :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 May 2020, 19:49 Image

Steve, Mick put a name to this in his spoiler, but I for one have run out of searches to identify it.

I guess it isn't the obvious Ting Tings but a Japanese/Malaysian artist which I haven't heard of and who Google struggles to find.

Any chance of giving the definitive answer on that one?

Regards Neil
Just to say where I got my name from, have a look at:
https://www.allmusic.com/artist/ting-ting-mn0001536356
and used translate app on phone on Hourai No Shirabe but got no luck so I plumped for no name because it had similarities :-D !
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Well I reckon the artist has a chance to be Zhong Tingting mentioned on the PE Jukebox here
myglaren wrote: 13 May 2017, 18:31 Zhong Tingting - China or Japan - she is Chinese but lives in Japan
Far, Far Away
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

mickthemaverick wrote: 09 May 2020, 18:27
myglaren wrote: 09 May 2020, 17:54 Much unhappiness.

My friendly local HiFi place is closed, of course and I can imagine that it won't be a cheap fix.
Now I know we live on different musical planets Steve. Is that a Shanling player? I don't spend that much on my cars let alone my CD players :-D So I won't make any silly suggestions like get another player on ebay :-D The closest I get to that level of audio quality is in Spain with my mates Wurlitzer but having said that I brought it back to the UK as he has sold it so thats the end of that!! :(
Yep, CD-T100. It will be repaired!

We went to buy a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers for my youngest's birthday. Heading for Richer Sounds we were passing a notoriously expensive shop - had been anyway. It was a sink into the carpets place. I had gone in and seen a Marantz CD player, £240. Went further down the street, same player in Richer Sounds - £120!

This day we went in and to my eternal shame, as we entered we were greeted and asked what we were looking for and I replied, "Just going to laugh at the price labels" - I shocked myself, not like me at all. Anyway, he wasn't phased and said to shout out if anything interested us. I did say we were on our way to Richer's and he said we had plenty of time as they weren't open for another hour.

Laura was looking at some Celestion and Wharfedal speakers, playing a CD through them while I talked to the greeter - he was the owner, and another bloke took care of Laura. Place was under new ownership and not as snooty as previously, nor as pricey.

Eventually they were auditioning floorstanders - I was expecting to pay about £60 and these were £350. She decided she would have them and offered to pay the difference.
I said to the owner "that's a bugger, isn't it" and he asked what was up. They sound better than my speakers now, so I'll have to upgrade and keep up with her. I had been thinking of Ruark Talisman's.
He took the CD and played it through a budget Marantz CD player and an equally budget Denon amp.
It sounded marvellous, until I spotted the price tag. Sonus-Faber Cremona floorstanders! IIRC they were about £8,000.
said there was a problem with them - "Oh, what's that"?
Too many zeros in the price.
"Don't worry, it isn't those playing" It was a pair of Jamo floorstanders next to them. Still too many zeros in the price.
He said they could fix that and we got both pair for about two grand.

While they boxed them up, he lured us back into the inner sanctum, sent out for posh coffee and sat us in a very plush sofa in front of a set up consisting of a pair of Sonus-Faber bookshelf speakers, an amazing amplifier and the Shanling.

I made it clear we weren't buying but he said, no, just listen and listen we did. The sound was incredible, just floated in the air with every nuance tangible. They had auditioned this stuff previously and were stunned themselves at the sound for the price.

Anyway, speakers ready we were off quicksmart.
Returned the following week for the Shanling :(

He had a £55,000 Quad kit in and said to take it home and try it out, no obligation, just enjoy it. I didn't take him up on that, I would have been in debt forever.

The amplifier:-
Pathos Logos
Pathos Logos
A Pathos Logos that looks as good as it sounds, Italian and as stylish as one would expect from Italy.
Note the heatsinks and the infinity mirrored valves.
Didn't buy that either, though sorely tempted as I had only just bought an Electrocompaniet pre-power kit (Norwegian).
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:09 Well I reckon the artist has a chance to be Zhong Tingting mentioned on the PE Jukebox here

Regards Neil
You could well be right Neil but I'm not totally convinced the pictures are the same girl although they could be with an age difference:
created
created
NewcastleFalcon

I've exhausted my searches Mick. I found a Malaysian Artist too with the name Ayu TingTing.

Did exactly the same as you to compare her pic to the album cover with no conclusion.

I think Steve may well have forgotten our little puzzle in his waxing lyrical about equipment :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

myglaren wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:16
While they boxed them up, he lured us back into the inner sanctum, sent out for posh coffee and sat us in a very plush sofa in front of a set up consisting of a pair of Sonus-Faber bookshelf speakers, an amazing amplifier and the Shanling.

I made it clear we weren't buying but he said, no, just listen and listen we did. The sound was incredible, just floated in the air with every nuance tangible. They had auditioned this stuff previously and were stunned themselves at the sound for the price.

I'd always been interested in good hi-fi, but never had the money. My mate used to work for B&W and he got me a ticket for the friends and family open day. Fascinating to see how they used to build the speakers, but then it came to the demonstration in the hastily built 'listening room' in their factory. I sat down for a listen.... actually two or three listens because I rejoined the queue as soon as I was out :lol: "Ah! So that's what it's all about. So that's what I've been missing out on. Oh!" I can't remember what kit they were using, but I do remember one of the CDs they used was by Dadawa.
It's not until you get to hear truly great hi-fi that you realise what all the fuss is about and why it can become such an expensive hobby #-o
About 6 months after my visit my mate told me they were having an auction for the staff of 'returns' and damaged goods - did I want anything ? "Yep", says I. "Anything up to and including about £200 would be nice " :-D He later phoned me to tell me he'd got me a pair of P6 floorstanders - my heart sunk, these usually sold for over a grand. "Yours for £100" says he :shock: They've been with me ever since, and rather nice they are too :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:43 I've exhausted my searches Mick. I found a Malaysian Artist too with the name Ayu TingTing.

Did exactly the same as you to compare her pic to the album cover with no conclusion.

I think Steve may well have forgotten our little puzzle in his waxing lyrical about equipment :-D

Regards Neil
Did you look at the link I found the album on earlier Neil? :)
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:52
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:43 I've exhausted my searches Mick. I found a Malaysian Artist too with the name Ayu TingTing.

Regards Neil
Did you look at the link I found the album on earlier Neil? :)

Yes definitely the album "Hourai no Shirabe" and its by TingTing but I cant imagine Steve playing anything by the better known TingTings through that equipment!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 May 2020, 20:56
Yes definitely the album "Hourai no Shirabe" and its by TingTing but I cant imagine Steve playing anything by the better known TingTings through that equipment!

REgards Neil
Ah! That's where you're wrong, Neil. Really good hi-fi has the ability to make an awful lot of albums sounds enthralling and enveloping. That's one of its addictive qualities :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Yes this is the type of equipment which will be available on the desert island.
temp1.png
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

OK right, I see where you are coming from. I'm afraid the whole equipment thing has passed me by because I am happy with my Mission speakers and Kenwood equipment. I have always preferred putting my cash into rallying and cars in general so I live with it and now spend any spare cash on driving around, God I miss it!! We'll just have to wait for Steve to put us out of our misery!! :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Each to their own hobby. If something makes you happy you will spend all you can afford to get the most enjoyment from it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!