2005 Citroen Dispatch diesel van engine oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nginmu
My Cars: Jan 2005 Dispatch 815D Enterprise

2005 Citroen Dispatch diesel van engine oil leak

Post by nginmu »

I think the engine in this Dispatch is a 'DW8' I might be wrong

Lying on my back underneath the engine & looking up, I can see a halfshaft sticking out of the gearbox, which goes across from the passenger side toward the drivers side. It travels across the back of the engine block, low down near the sump, and goes into an aluminium-looking bearing housing not all that far off the centreline of the vehicle. On the other side, I guess the shaft carries on into the drivers side front wheel.

In the vicinity of this aluminium-looking bearing housing, maybe a bit over toward the driver side, there is a load of steel plate chassis memberism, more or less the mirror image of similar chassis members over on the passenger side.

Now.. the aluminium-looking bearing housing thingy and the steel plate chassis memberism it's near, and in fact a lot of the sump on that side, is full of dripping engine oil.

The backside of the engine block is full of grime and black oil too.

I've cleaned all the muck off today with gunk, spray cleaner and a powerwasher and am waiting to see if any fresh dribbles of oil can identify the source of the leak over the next few days.

I wondered if anybody's been here before & can suggest likely sources for a leak.

Hit the nail on the head & I'll send you a genuine faux pearl ring :lol:
nginmu
My Cars: Jan 2005 Dispatch 815D Enterprise

Re: 2005 Citroen Dispatch diesel van engine oil leak

Post by nginmu »

Apologies for double post. Results of engine clean now in.

After a day's driving it's pretty clear the leak is coming from the bottom of the plate underneath the crankshaft pulley on the driver's side.

Rest of the engine's spotless apart from a very slight dribble coming from the very end of the gearbox housing at the other end of the engine.

From this I'm guessing the most likely culprit might be crankshaft bearing seal (have seen it as 'part 8' on some diagrams) and / or 'part 21' 'rubber seal' (against 'part 20' 'engine oil pump control pinion')

Relatively easy to change in-situ through the wheelarch? or not..?

The dribble on the gearbox seems restricted to the very tip of the box, i.e. not coming from any shafts or the bellhousing. Could this be as simple as changing a gasket underneath the cover on the end of the box? If so access looks good through the passenger wheelarch?
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Re: 2005 Citroen Dispatch diesel van engine oil leak

Post by moizeau »

If it's crankshaft pulley seal, very doable, change the cambelt and water pump at the same time 'cause the belts have to come off. Drill 2 x 1 or 2mm holes carefully in the seal, screw in 2 wood or plasterboard screws, then pull with a pair of grips or lever using a small nail bar against a block of wood. Take note of the flushness of the original seal and fit the new one the same.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone