Citroen Jumper 2.0 2016 check adblue system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stergioszx
My Cars: citroen jumper 2.0 blue hdi 96KW mod2016
citroen berlingo 1.4 mod2002
citroen xsara picasso 1.8 mod2001

Citroen Jumper 2.0 2016 check adblue system

Post by stergioszx »

Hello from Greece!
I recently bought second hand a Citroen Jumper 2.0 96KW mod.2016 with 258000klm.
After about 15 days I've had it in my possesion a warning light came on with the sign "check adblue system".
I filled the adblue tank with adblue but the light did not turn off.
I went to a local garage and with the help of a plain KONWEI OBD diagnostic tool we saw the fault code which was "P20EE".
We erased the fault but it came back on about a week later.
The van performs really well, I can not detect loss of power in any way (although the warning light remains on).
The garage I go to tried a lot of things to eliminate the warning light problem.
1)Made a forced dpf regeneration but it seems that the dpf is clean (no smoke during the process, differential pressure before and after dpf is ok)
2)checked the adblue injection system, the system injects the correct amount of adblue.
3)REPLACED the knox sensor, and checked that there is voltage on the plug of the sensor.
4)with the help of a BOSCH diagnostic tool we made numerous resets of the knox sensor and other available resets to no effect.
5)checked all the fuses, they are ok.
Until now we can not detect the cause of the problem unfortunately and it really upsets me because I don't want to harm the Van in any way.
Now a new warning came on the dashboard that tells me that "the engine will not start in 450klm".
I guess that it could be a problem related to the adblue tank, or something around it. Maybe a floating device that checks the quantity of the adblue got stuck?
Does anyone know if it is a serviceable part or I have to get a new one?
Do you have any ideas-thoughts-experience of what the problem would be?

Thank you in advance!
Stergios
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen Jumper 2.0 2016 check adblue system

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Stergios

The DPF system is separate to the Adblue system.

When the Adblue gets to a certain level, the warnings start to appear. You are given a certain amount of time to top the Adblue up and the counter should at some point warn you as it counts down. If it is ignored then the engine will not start.

Now I have to ask, so forgive me if it sounds a stupid question, but are you 100% sure you topped up the Adblue tank and not the Eolys tank for the particle filter?

If you did fill the adblue and the tank was near empty, you need to put at least 3.8 litres, then turn on the ignition and WAIT 10 seconds before trying to start it. There is no resetting of any sensors needed, so I don’t know where you are getting that from. It seems there is some confusion between the DPF additive, which has to have the eolys counter reset when topping up and the adblue tank which does not.

The adblue is designed to be topped up quite regularly, so is a customer orientated job, and needs no special diagnostic tools
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
stergioszx

Post by stergioszx »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 Apr 2020, 22:47 Hi Stergios

The DPF system is separate to the Adblue system.

When the Adblue gets to a certain level, the warnings start to appear. You are given a certain amount of time to top the Adblue up and the counter should at some point warn you as it counts down. If it is ignored then the engine will not start.

Now I have to ask, so forgive me if it sounds a stupid question, but are you 100% sure you topped up the Adblue tank and not the Eolys tank for the particle filter?

If you did fill the adblue and the tank was near empty, you need to put at least 3.8 litres, then turn on the ignition and WAIT 10 seconds before trying to start it. There is no resetting of any sensors needed, so I don’t know where you are getting that from. It seems there is some confusion between the DPF additive, which has to have the eolys counter reset when topping up and the adblue tank which does not.

The adblue is designed to be topped up quite regularly, so is a customer orientated job, and needs no special diagnostic tools
Hello friend, thank you for your reply.

I know that dpf-adblue are separate systems, the mechanic said that the "check adblue system" might be related to an inefficient dpf so the sensor senses "over pollution".

It would be great to find a schematic of the adblue system so as to check things by myself, I couldn't find any on line...

I am sure I topped the adblue tank, it is right down of the petrol tank cap and says "adblue".
Now don't tell me that my Van also has eolys somewhere???? The manual doesn't say anything like that.

I suspect the quality of the adblue I put in although it is from Shell.

Here in Greece good mechanics are rare. I already paid 400 euro for a new knox sensor that was not needed. They lack knowledge unfortunately.

I don't want to go to the official citroen dealership because I did not buy from them and they charge big bucks for even the smallest problems.

I think it might be something with the adblue tank. A bad circuit? A bad sensor inside it? A bad pump?

I don't know...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Diesels with SCR systems (Selective Catalytic Reduction) use Adblue to treat and reduce the Nitrogen Oxides and this part of the system is upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter. So the Adblu treats the NOx and turns this into nitrogen and steam. Then the DPF does its job of trapping and eliminating the particulate matter.

So you will have an Adblue tank (which is customer accessible) and a tank for the DPF additive (that is located next to the fuel tank) which is generally not a DIY job, although many do undertake this - but for this you must reset the additive counter using a suitable diagnostic kit. The additive usually lasts quite a while (depending on engine) so it usually only done once or twice throughout the life of the vehicle.

Marc
stergioszx

Post by stergioszx »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 12:45 Diesels with SCR systems (Selective Catalytic Reduction) use Adblue to treat and reduce the Nitrogen Oxides and this part of the system is upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter. So the Adblu treats the NOx and turns this into nitrogen and steam. Then the DPF does its job of trapping and eliminating the particulate matter.

So you will have an Adblue tank (which is customer accessible) and a tank for the DPF additive (that is located next to the fuel tank) which is generally not a DIY job, although many do undertake this - but for this you must reset the additive counter using a suitable diagnostic kit. The additive usually lasts quite a while (depending on engine) so it usually only done once or twice throughout the life of the vehicle.
Dear Marc,
thanks again for your reply.
So you say that my vehicle also has a dpf additive tank apart from the adblue tank?
This is weird as the manual of the car does not say anything other than adblue info.
How can we find out?
Is there a site to put the vehicle's number and know if it has eolys tank or not?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For a 2.0 HDi Diesel circa 2016, it is guaranteed, as it will have to meet the Euro 6 standards. If it has a DPF, it has an additive system. It is not covered in the manual as it is classified as a dealer-level operation. If you post your VIN up for me I can confirm this for you from my own information once I know the engine.

Marc
stergioszx

Post by stergioszx »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 16:14 For a 2.0 HDi Diesel circa 2016, it is guaranteed, as it will have to meet the Euro 6 standards. If it has a DPF, it has an additive system. It is not covered in the manual as it is classified as a dealer-level operation. If you post your VIN up for me I can confirm this for you from my own information once I know the engine.
Dear friend, the number is: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

thank you very much for your willing to help.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so you have the DW10FUD engine. This has Euro 6 approval for emissions and yes, has a particulate filter. They brought out a few variants (this being one) of this engine in 2014 that had the SCR technology added.

As I mentioned before, the additive tank is situated near to the fuel tank and is covered with heat protective material, so it not immediately accessible and is not designed for owner maintenance. You should get a warning when the additive system is low in any case.

Marc
stergioszx

Post by stergioszx »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 17:36 Ok, so you have the DW10FUD engine. This has Euro 6 approval for emissions and yes, has a particulate filter. They brought out a few variants (this being one) of this engine in 2014 that had the SCR technology added.

As I mentioned before, the additive tank is situated near to the fuel tank and is covered with heat protective material, so it not immediately accessible and is not designed for owner maintenance. You should get a warning when the additive system is low in any case.
Marc thank you for the info!
Maybe this tank (eolys?) has run out and this is why I get this message.
And because it is "undercover" for the end user maybe this is why I don't get a "check eolys level" or something like that.

Well I have something to grab on to!

I will keep you informed, thank you very much!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You won't get an Adblue message regarding DPF additive - they are entirely separate systems.

The Adblue message is specific to the Adblue system.

The DPF additive should only need topping up when you get the message. Only a very small amount is used when it is injected into the fuel tank.

However if you are having issues and you know the Urea has been filled up, then it is possible that you have an electrical problem with the Urea gauge-pump module, the Urea reservoir or the NOx sensor.

This needs looking at by somebody with experience of testing these systems and with access to the electrical data. I don't have them unfortunately. It's a shame that your 3 warranty has probably just expired, or I would have suggested you get it back to the dealer.

Marc
acatrajcic
My Cars: Citroen Jumper 2016

Post by acatrajcic »

Hello,
I have the same problem with my Citroen Jumper. Board says "Check ADblue system engine will not. restart in 350km"
Even the ADblue tank is full!
Did you solved your problem on your van?
If you did, please share the solution of problem.
Thank you!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There have been some problems with the Adblue systems (pumps for sure) that have failed and were fixed in an aftermarket campaign - but you'll have to check with the dealer to see if yours is one of them.

You also need to remove key from ignition and wait 5 minutes after topping up before starting the engine.

Marc
stergioszx

Post by stergioszx »

since my last posting here my van had fuel pressure problems, I refurbished all 4 injectors and replaced a sensor on the high pressure diesel pump.
After that the "check adblue system" kept coming back but not as frequently as before the injector refurbishment. I recently drove for 400 miles till it got back (it kept coming back after 20-30 miles before)
To my surprise one time the error "erased itself" without me doing anything which I guess is good news!

Givemeabreak: I didn't know that about waiting 5 minutes without the key in, I will definitely give it a try!

I will keep you informed about what will happen.

PS: does anyone know the "official" adblue consumption for that Van-engine??? thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow