C2 1.4VTR and VTS differences

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

teuski
My Cars: -=X7|C2|AX|XM=-

C2 1.4VTR and VTS differences

Post by teuski »

I just got a '05 C2 1.4 8V VTR. It's a nice little car in good condition and has got full body rally-look vinyls.
I was just playing with the thought of swapping a VTS unit under the hood, or at least a normal TU5JP4.
Don't bother with comments like "just buy a VTS". This is a project just for fun :)

To meet the Finnish registration requirements i have to modify the brakes and suspension to be similar with a VTS.
What are the technical differences between a 1.4 VTR and a VTS?

-engine with its auxiliaries of course
-gearbox (any MA box should fit?)
-AFAIK the suspension parts are the same except for shocks and springs?
-brakes are similar between a C2 VTS and a C3 1.6 16V?
-steering rack is different in a VTS

Are there VTS's of that age without ESP? What about 1.6 VTRs?
My car has no ESP but it has ABS and i am not currently sure if ESP has to be included with the engine swap. If it is standard on all VTS's then i suppose it has to be there too.
To upgrade to ESP do i need anything else but the control units, ABS/ESP unit, stalk unit with a wheel angle sensor and maybe the instrument cluster?
Last edited by teuski on 21 Apr 2020, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: C2 1.4VTR and VTS differences

Post by wheeler »

Not sure the answers to all of your questions but one thing to bear in mind is the that the standard spec of a car can vary massively between countries. In the UK ESP may have been standard fit but in Finland may not have been.
It’s certainly a doable project best way would be to have a complete donor car.
teuski

Post by teuski »

Donor car is just what i'm planning. VTS's just aren't that common in here...
Much easier would be to find a 1.6 C3. Even that would add half the bhp :D
I guess it wouldn't matter if the possible non-ESP VTS was sold in Finland or not, just that it has been available somewhere during the same year.

My preference would be not to have the ESP at all. I don't really want the VTS suspension either...
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I dont know how your registration/inspection works but how would anyone really know if it had VTS suspension & brakes on it? Without having a very detailed inspection like measuring disc diameter etc?
teuski

Post by teuski »

They wouldn't. I need to supply a list of the changed parts and possibly some manufacturer certificate of their suitability.
All else should be pretty straightforward but the ESP thing is possibly a problem. If they ever produced even a small number of VTS's without ESP that would be enough to exclude it.
teuski

Post by teuski »

I just realized today that my C2 doesn't have ABS.

Were there ever 1.6 16V TU5JP4 C2:s available without ABS? That seems like the most reasonable model to compare to...