Coping With Covid

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Coping With Covid

Post by white exec »

Fact-checked by peers (and I don't mean the ermined variety).
And steady on, Gibbo, I've contributed to the odd entry myself (see Citroen XM, and Dixon of Dock Green, for example).
Old fart? Oh yes.
Chris
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Me too, I've added the odd snippet of experienced wisdom in the radio and electronics fields over the years!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I found that a lot of the stuff has 'Source needed' or such like against it and quite a bit is corrected/disputed by other contributors so I take none of it for granted.

But I was only filling up a bit of time while I wound down from a trip shopping for two households at Tesco.

Spent most of yesterday afternoon with my head in the rose bushes ripping out the nettles that had grown up through them. :( not finished yet.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It's not as easy to get stuff on Wikipedia as a person might think. Yes, you can go in and change something but if an editor doesn't agree with what you've written they will change it right back.

I tried to change a small item in the entry for John Peel a few years back about his place of birth. They had it down as Heswall Cottage Hospital. The information had come from Peel's own autobiography but I thought it strange as I'd never heard of it. I made lots of Google searches and failed to find any information other than references to Peel. It took a lot of research but I eventually found a copy of a birth announcement in a Welsh newspaper for Heswall Nursing Home and then that was accepted although they did insist on removing my comment "not Heswall Cottage Hospital as he erroneously claimed".

Since then someone else has been in changed my references although the basic information of Heswall Nursing Home is still there. It's amazing how much tinkering goes on.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Time to wheel out my two John Peel anecdotes :-D

I still have a cherished 'Lucozade' branded plastic water bottle which was thrown by John Peel to the assembled onlookers at a 'celeb' football match at (I think) a Phoenix music festival. I caught the bottle :)

A good few years ago I had the chance to go to the old Broadcasting House in the intervening hours between the BBC relinquishing it and the developers taking it over for redeveloping. We were there to remove anything that might prove useful - of which there wasn't much left ! Up in the open-plan offices of Radio 2 and 6 Music was a notice board, and on that notice board was a solitary John Peel postcard watching over the now empty desks and general mess. That postcard was removed for safekeeping and is now kept very secure :)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When I read that I thought you was talking about the 'd'ye ken John Peel' :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are some really arrogant people out there who KNOW that the rules don't apply to them.

I was queuing at Aldi today to get my Mothers' shopping for her (as she is over 70 she has been told to shield for 12 weeks; how she will react to the suggestion of shielding for one year will be interesting to watch (from a very long distance!!!)), and the rules currently include key workers can (with valid ID) go in early, and only one person per vehicle at a time in the shop (to help keep the queues flowing more smoothly).

One guy wanted to go in using his wife's NHS pass (she was with him), and was arguing that he should be allowed in early (he was told that, as the pass was not his he had to queue like the rest of us; SHE could go in early if she wanted, but it was still only ONE person per vehicle; like the arrogant git he was he complained to the manager as soon as he could, and got short shrift).

Two women from different households arrived in one car (WHAT ABOUT SOCIAL DISTANCING?), and wanted to go in together. They were told that, as they had arrived in one vehicle, one would have to wait in/by the car while the other person did their shopping. When they saw the security guard change the second person re-joined the queue (further down), but as soon as they were both in the shop they joined up again, with complete contempt for the rules and no concern for the other shoppers who were abiding by the rules.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

There's been quite a few instances where people have been saying the guidelines don't apply to them because they're wearing masks. I don't know if these people are born stupid or if they have to keep practicing at it #-o
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

It is mind boggling how stupidity seems to spread these days. Wouldn't it be fun if those of us that are obeying the rules to the letter carried a spray can of flourescent indellible paint with us and give a quick squirt down the back of these idiots to warn others about them. A kind of Name and Shame job!! And NO I'm not saying we should do it but it would be gratifying :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember, years ago, having a 'discussion' with somebody who KNEW that the rules did not apply to him. Finally I asked if he had always been that stupid or if it had required a special education to come up to his current standard. His friends creased up in stiches, but he didn't get it.

Have you seen what is going on in the Useless States of America? There are people out protesting about the lockdown (and Mr Trump seems to be encouraging them). Fine, let those fools ignore the rules, and then (when they start dying in their droves) let the courts tell them what they can do with their litigation cases (brought (on the advice of money grabbing lawyers) based on the fact that the State didn't enforce the social distancing rules thoroughly enough).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I had a little issue with a gentleman in Lidl on Friday. It seemed as though He followed me round doing his best to annoy me! I lost my rag a little bit in the end when he simply stood next to me at the checkout and started loading his stuff onto the belt as one would do, closely, in normal times. Bellowed “TWO METRES” at him and made him, and the rest of the store jump a little.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

I am classed as a key worker, and have my letter from my employer and ID.

I’ll not be taking advantage of that rule about shopping early though, as I feel I would be taking the p**s. Sure, the letter allows me to, but it’s more for the purpose of shutting up Mr. Plod if I get called out to the one of the datacentres at work (Heathrow) at 3am..
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I also have such a letter (for the same purpose), but there is no way I would use it to bypass the shopping queues. Like Michel, I think it would be taking the mickey. As I said earlier in this thread, although I may be classified as a key worker, I feel I am far less important than the cleaners in the Hospitals, the clerks in the Police Stations, and the lorry/delivery drivers (and so on). They are doing what they can to keep the United Kingdom functioning, while all I am doing is to keep some IT/EPoS kit running.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just had a word with my son in law, a river pilot on the Tees. He is struggling with ships company and officers who seem unaware of the precautions. The captain will hand him a mask, just with unwashed, ungloved hands. He also has to use the controls used by similarly unsanitised staff and they seem to have no sanitiser available.
He can be quite irascible, I can foresee blood being spilled.

My eldest works for the NHS. She is not clinical staff but is exposed. She can claim priority when shopping but chooses not to, leaves her NHS paraphernalia in her car. She is currently working 14~16 hours a day, including the days she should be off. She gets no extra pay for this and scant thanks either.

I will say that with very few exceptions people are behaving sensibly around here.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

myglaren wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 12:16
She is currently working 14~16 hours a day, including the days she should be off. She gets no extra pay for this and scant thanks either.
To be fair Steve, I think you are being a little harsh there. Whilst I understand that she may not be getting direct thanks from her manager which is unfortunate, a large proportion of the population are thanking her and all her NHS colleagues on a regular basis, not to mention the PM and Queen both thanking them in various speeches. So I'll add my personal thanks to her here, if you would pass them on. We really do appreciate the extra miles which NHS staff are putting in and I will certainly support any increased remunerationary proposals that may come forward. :)