10,000 not out

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

10,000 not out

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well if the FCF will indulge me on this my 10,000 th post. I have a simple message to ensure the FCF continues to be a thriving interesting community.....dont think should I or shouldn't I.....
Just join in :-D
Kick off today with the simple ones

A picture for Picture(s) of the Day, or a Track for the Pickled Egg Jukebox, a question for the Pickled Egg Quiz

or follow Micks March Meander and chip in with a bit of banter.

The mike is dropped!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: 10,000 not out

Post by mickthemaverick »

Congratulations on that milestone in your FCFFing career!! :clap: :clap: :bouncy: :bouncy: :beer: :beer: :notworthy: :notworthy:
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Every post a gem Neil!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 13:44 Well if the FCF will indulge me on this my 10,000th post . . .
Indulge! You deserve a medal, Neil . . .

. . . and an oil change \:D/
Chris
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Congratulations that's some innings!
Oh buggle
NewcastleFalcon

The random hand of the FCF Archives February Ferret for today Thursday 9th February 2023 has selected this thread. The biggest step is making the first move, so maybe today this thread can be used as a reminisce back to your own first post made on the FCF.

Here's mine, I remember it well... what was yours :?:
(easy enough to find just use "search users posts" on your own profile and pick out the oldest one)
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Feb 2009, 17:42 Hello

This is my first posting to the forum. I have received lots of help from consulting the posts over a number of years, and thanks to everyone who contributes. Below is a bit of optional background but the crux of the posting is
"How to I get the rear suspension strut out of a CItroen Xantia after shearing off a completely rusted spring clip from the suspension link rod :?: "
Background information:

I had to do a little job on my rear suspension unit for the MOT as the tester failed it on a slight weep of LHM from the suspension sphere/suspension strut junction. No significant loss of fluid, no pools of LHM on the tarmac under the car.

Last years MOT I had to fit a new sphere, and remove the old canonball.
Using this forum I eventually came up with the solution to getting the old one off. I made up a tool along the lines suggested in the forum, using the threaded rod, and my own slight innovation using inner portion of an axle stand with ready made holes in to create the "P" to tighten round the old sphere. It worked a treat-you can easily get a long bar down the tube bit of the axle stand to get extra leverage. What helped also was removing the "shield" around the rear disc by undoing the 3 10mm bolts to get a bit extra space to do it from the side of the car. This "special tool" cost precisely £1.65 to make.

Before I came up with this solution though I spent a fair bit of time with club hammer and chisel, and probably did enough damage to the strut/sphere interface to create the current problem of slight weepage of fluid from the join.

Having a SORN L reg Xantia outside my front door, I thought I would take the rear suspension strut from the old car and use this to fix the problem.

All went well until I reached the stage in the Haynes Manual described as "Remove the spring clip from the suspension link rod (see illustration)". Yes the spring clip was there, pretty easy to access with the pliers/mole grips but totally and absolutely "rusted in". It was obvious that no matter how careful I was, this particular spring clip was never going to be able to be removed from the suspension link rod, and yes it sheared off as expected.

I think this leaves the suspension strut pretty much unremovable.

Has anyone got any tips before I resort to the angle grinder?

Thanks

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Here is my initial post on the forum copied from the thread it now resides on!! :-D

Hi Everyone, I am a new member on here having just purchased my 3rd C5 which is a 2001 2.2 HDi Exclusive hatchback, When I bought it I discovered the (Everything Works!!!) radio does not receive anything and the gps does not work. From memory and a read on here I was pretty convinced that the antenna was faulty so I decided to remove, clean the amp cards etc and refit. No change so I decided to replace with one from ebay. I found a likely candidate and I have purchased it with a new wand, they are still to arrive, but I noticed a difference between mine and the new one. My unit has 4 leads coming from it going to the connector holder under the roof lining which I assume to be GPS, FM/AM, Power, and a single wire which I think is a ground wire. The one I have bought does not have this, with only 3 leads, so I assume it takes the ground from the coax sleeving. Can anyone throw any light on this? :?:
Cheers in anticipation.

You can find the thread here!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Here's mine from 2005!

viewtopic.php?t=13650

"Just to say hello and introduce myself...
I have just become the owner of an early Citroen Xantia SX TD. It's my very first foray into "real" Citroens (had an AX years ago) after many Peugeots, including 405 Diesels and 205 Diesels.
I still have a Peugeot though, my very much loved and papmered 205 GTi. I have got the Xantia for Daily Driver duties and occasional towing jobs so that the GTi does not have to work too hard or go out in the winter.
I have lots to learn about the Xantia and I'm sure I'll be asking some questions soon... [:)]"

I did learn a bit about the Xantia and at that time little did I know how deeply I'd get into them...

And how dare I say an AX is not a real Citroen 😮😂

Never would I have guessed that nearly 18 years later I'd be so deeply into the AX...

Wish I still had my 205GTi... I'll never ever forgive myself for parting with that car...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This was my first post, dealing with the dreaded rear calliper corrosion on a Xantis;

"Hello there,

I had this problem, and (after reading through this forum VERY carefully) got on with it SUCCESSFULLY! Everything went well, with no major glitches. Took me about 4 hours all told, not having much mechanical experience.

I decided to get hold of a pair of caliper refurb kits, just in case. No motor factors had any, but finally found a website that sells them at a reasonable price,

http://www.brakepartssuperstore.org.uk/ ... d5520.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but it turned out I did not need them.

Hell Razor5543 :o"
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent James :D That was a very positive initial forum experience!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

My first contribution from May 26th 2009. Diving straight in with an opinion on a head gasket on an XM where oil was "pumping" into the waterway.

It's probably been well documented here many times but if you're doing a head gasket job then you should have the head skimmed, use new head bolts.

You must also make sure that the block is scrupulously free of old gasket and other crud and then run a tap down the threads for the head bolts to make sure that they don't "bottom out" where the old bolts used to sit.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Perfect advice Paul :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Decent crop of first posts, but there could well be more...shove them up here.

Meanwhile If a picture is worth 1000 words then this chart saves some keyboard tapping. No explanation required just fulfilling a little challenge I set myself for amusement.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 09 Feb 2023, 10:07 I think I may see if I can do a little graph to add to todays yesterday's selected thread and maybe drag up my first post to the forum.
as of now stands at 21,655
as of now stands at 21,655
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey