Replacing AC clutch pulley

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Replacing AC clutch pulley

Post by handyman »

I've got to change the AC clutch pulley on one of our cars, due to a knackered bearing.
I've got the new pulley & clutch, along with numerous shims. I'm stuck for the running clearance of the clutch when disengaged as I'll need to adjust it by shimming.

Any clues as to what clearances I'm looking for, so the clutch is able to engage & disengage correctly?

Thanks, Handyman
Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Re: Replacing AC clutch pulley

Post by Axa »

I've remember reading 0'40 to 0'60 but I guess it might differ from brand to brand. I recently removed the single shim on my compressor and the clutch gap got very small, but still runs free when not engaged. I have not bothered to measure it..
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Its nearly a year so I thought I'd better get around to replacing this pulley!

Went at it today, but how do you get the pulley off the shaft? Tried a number of ways to lock it, up all without success & a few bit of skin now missing.

Looked at the Book of Lies & even went onto Citroen technical but nuffin. I'm loathe to disconnect the AC to get the compressor onto the bench as it was all working well. I do have an old Xantia compressor that might be used as a test run.

I did see an on-line video where the guy used two screwdrivers across the little 'tits' on the driven plate but I tried that without success, as they kept slipping. I'm surprised there isn't a gizmo to accomplish this. It started off as a very simple job.

Any suggestions, related to the task in hand only, please.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Somewhere deep in the old grey matter i seem to recall Jim removed an aircon clutch pulley and he made up a special tool but that was probably 10+ years ago, may well have been on one of Xaccers Xantias and was done off the car in Jims man cave :)
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Yes, I thought that might be the case, but there ain't a lot to hold on to on the inner part of the pulley, the bit that needs to be stationery whilst getting the retaining nut off.
I've got a spare U/S compressor that may have to be the guinea pig.
If my tool works, I will post up here for anybody foolish enough to repeat the same exercise.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Okay so had a little spare time so did a search
Have a look Here and also This Thread
One is way way back, the other is less than 3 weeks old with a link to a replacement compressor.
If the links go to the correct pages someone may have a link to the correct clutch removal docs but is only for when compressor is removed :)

I am working through why my A/C on my 1999 Xantia is not working so i have a vested interest in this thread, and if i can aquire a new compressor for a reasonable price if that is what is needed ... :-D
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Thanks for that bit of info Admiral. I appreciate your help & I'll let you know how I get on.

Looks like its not as straight forward as I had been led to believe! Now to try & source the service tools.

I couldn't access the description that Kowalski had provided a link to so I might see if he is still on the forum & see if he can post me the link.

However, I do have a couple of new A/C compressors & quite a few used ones, so might be able to help you out.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

handyman thanks for the offer, still sorting the fan issue out before i try to work on the switching of the A/C, give me S1 Xantia and i understand that S2 is something i need to do in baby steps lol
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I found a couple of AC clutch service tool kits & they ain't dear so will be ordering one tomorrow. Will keep SWMBO happy as she can have her car back.

If you are stuck for parts, I have a huge amount of new & reconditioned Xantia & other Citroen parts, most of which came direct from PSA. Lots of obscure & NFP stuff if you get stuck.

I've got both Mk1 & Mk2 Xantias and there aren't too many differences between them, especially on the electrical side. Its useful to have parts lists for making comparisons & checking for updated components.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Hope it all went well with the replacement tools and SWMBO is a happy bunny again :)

Have sent you a PM regarding some spare parts