DS5 driver electric window

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5runner
My Cars: List of owned cars in order of ownership
Citroen 2CV
Citroen ZX Diesel
Citroen Xsara Diesel
Citroen Xantia Diesel
Citroen C4 HDi
Citroen C5 x2 HDi
Citroen DS5 HDi 1.6 2014

DS5 driver electric window

Post by C5runner »

Hi

Just thought I would relate an experience with a failed electric driver window on my DS5 Blue HDi 1.6 (2014).

Pressed window button only to hear a scratching sound but no window movement.
Mechanic (not dealer) told me the whole window motor unit needed replacing, as Citroen do not sell parts for it. (This was correct).
Cost was just under £500. I asked for the old parts. It turns out that, as I expected, the problem was that the wire cable had rusted and snapped.
For future reference, I am sure it would not be too difficult to replace the wire cable (approx £5) alone. It simply threads around the pulleys. There is a specific cap and a little lightweight spring, both of which I think could easily be transferred from the old cable to a new cable.

J
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: DS5 driver electric window

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I believe there are cable just for just that reason. I cannot tell you how much they are, but I have heard that (after replacing the cable) it is a very good idea to grease the cable to make sure it doesn't get damp again.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A good few repairs done on XM window lifter mechanism, where the original steel cable had rusted/snapped.
The way to go is with stainless cable, to replace the original mild steel.

We used 1.5mm, from here...
https://www.tecni.uk/1.5mm-7x19-316-Sta ... 04.000.015
Sold by the metre, and extremely durable and flexible. Inexpensive, so buy a good few metres.
Other thicknesses available.

On the XM cable drum and lifter blocks, the cable ends did not need any special nipples or terminations; a simple tight knot in the cable sufficed, and formed a permanent lug.

Tips:
- I don't know the DS5 mechanism as such, but if anything like the earlier ones, it's a good idea to make a sketch of how the bits are assembled, before taking apart.
- We found that a good way of assembling/wining on the new cable was to place the lifter block halfway along its track, and set the motor drum halfway through its programmed revolutions (if it has any). Then wind an equal number of turns of cable on to the drum, in opposite directions.
- With the new cable, start at the drum, and work towards the lifter block.
- Assemble with the tensioner springs fully compressed. They will relax a little when everything gets going/settled. Easy not to have sufficient in-built tension, allowing the cable to hop off the drum.
Above may/may not apply to your DS5 mechanism.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Citroen / DS won't repair these - they just replace the complete module. I had mine go right on exiting at the NCP car park exit barrier. No mucking about - complete new motor module and regulator. Same thing, rusted wire.

A tip:- get some silicone oil spray with a tube and spray it down all the window channels on all doors, then raise and lower the windows multiple times whilst liberally spraying into the channels. When the window is up, I also put the tube under the rubber and spray liberally into the window area under the glass to try and coat the wires.

This will lubricate the window channels and put less pressure on the motor and consequently the wires if they are already weakened.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Good tip about the felt channels. With age, and dirt on the glass edge, they can acquire a lot of friction. You can sometimes hear a motor struggling. If the door is equipped with "anti-pinch" or current limiting, the window can fail to complete its movement.
Chris