This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Tiago407sw16hdi
My Cars: 2008 407 SW 1.6 HDI

Double Din

Post by Tiago407sw16hdi »

2008 407 sw 1.6hdi
Hello.
Any ideias for a double din with nav (not super expensive) That would work in our cars without loosing all the features ofr the original.
Any guys that made it work? Pls share
Many Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Double Din

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Depends on what you have already - a VIN would help... Those that have no Sat Nav have often upgraded within the available systems for the specific vehicle for this very reason. It is now increasingly common for the vehicle's information and configuration to be enabled via the Head Unit, so replacing it with a non-OEM unit would likely mean a direct loss of functionality.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

You might try chasing down more information on the device that I linked to here: viewtopic.php?t=62138 We know nothing about it other than what is in the video, but maybe it could work.
Tiago407sw16hdi

Hello
Thank You for your help.
My unit is RT3ev=RT4. The one with Nav so big screen.
I have searched in many forums for some one that have changed to a double din, keeping all the functions.
I guess the one in the video might not work on the 407.
Many thanks
Tiago407sw16hdi

Is it possible?

2008 407sw 1.6hdi (RT3ev....they say its a RT4)

Is it possible that no one manage to fit in our cars a aftermarket radio with everything working???!!!!!
Is it that dificult?? I though volvos and bmw were hard.....
ANYONE??!!!

Thank You all
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 18 Feb 2020, 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The head units are not just radios - they are becoming more heavily integrated into the vehicle's systems. On some later systems most of the car's features and basic functionality is handled through the telematics interface.

On your RT4, this also handles data communications and feature options / configuration - change it and you will lose functionality. Aftermarket radios are now becoming far less significant and declining as more functionality is built into OEM systems for obvious reasons.

Marc
Tiago407sw16hdi

Me again...

2008 407 sw 1.6 hdi (radio RT3ev.....RT4) SW VERSION. - unit 7.10.C-16

Hello, im really frustrated about getting a better sound to my car. I have asked about new double dins and of course like Riliable said is possible but we loose functions....well ok.
Then i was told if i get the cable from a Frnce you could have at least usb reading. So i got the cable. Connected the cable on the back. Everybody say it can be activated on pp2000 or diagbox. I cant find any totorial how to do it, i cant surely find it on either apps.

I am about to give up and....have to take 30 min to load 6 musics???!!!!
Any ideas pls
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Please keep all these related posts in one place - I've moved your latest post here.

You've not really been very clear in what you're asking for. Post up your VIN so we know what you have fitted and what options are available.

There were different head units available for the 407 and each have varying capabilities. The only ones I can see a USB interface cable for are the RT5 unit that was fitted on later models, There is none showing for the RT4 or earlier, except where the telephone interface kit was fitted that has a USB port - that won't of been fitted if you already have an RT4 telematics system though.

Marc
Tiago407sw16hdi

Thank you and sorry.
My vin....VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

I guess i need to update the firmware......

Once again
MANY THANKS
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No need to update the firmware unless something is wrong to be honest.

So you have the RT4. If you want to be able to play MP3 audio files, you have 2 options already:

1) Make an MP3 CD - you can get anywhere from 100 to 150 songs on average on a single MP3 disc. The RT4 can play MP3 CDs easily - just the same as CDs
2) Use either your own music CDs or an MP3 CD you have created above and use the Jukebox function to copy these to the internal Hard Disk. You have 10 Gb capacity for the jukebox.

Marc
Tiago407sw16hdi

Thank You.
But is the RT4 capable of having direct input of usb? i have connected the usb input cable on the back of the unit.
I have read that you can activate that cable with pp2000 or diagbox. I have tried to search for it but i could not find anything to do it. I also read that you needed to update your firmeware for at least 8.03 if im not mistaken, and then you could activate the usb cable, using mirascripts.
But not only i cant find the download for mirascripts or how to do it.....
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The Head Unit configuration files state that USB can be enabled from firmware version 8.**. However these notes cover the whole of the RT3, RT4 & RT5 units - so I cannot state for sure whether it is specifically supported on your earlier RT4 that looks like the RT3.

So a couple of warnings:

You can't enable the USB (if it is applicable to your unit), unless the firmware is 8.31. You can't update the firmware except via CD - so you would need to order the firmware on CD from the dealer (they have copy protection issues and some people have used copied versions and these have left their units bricked).

If you do go ahead and update the firmware, you should also be aware that you will 99% likely have issues with some features not working like the climate control settings for example. This is due to 8.31 being a major firmware update and in some cases it resets the configuration parameters back to defaults. the only way to do this is to get Diagbox / PP2000 on it and reset the ECU parameters to match the options on your vehicle.

Also, be aware that if the CD lens is playing up (age related or dirt) then this can affect the update and also leave the car bricked as it will not be able to get out of a boot loop in some cases.

So the firmware update to this specific version is fraught with issues. I am not trying to put you off, but at least you can make an informed decision as to whether you really need to take the risk.

We don't support Mirascripts here - as that programme can do a lot of damage if the user doesn't understand how to use it.

If your system is working, I would strongly suggest you don't bother with all this when you can already use MP3s as I explained earlier.

Marc
Tiago407sw16hdi

I guess i will have to agree with you and make loads of mp3 cds.
I dont like it, but i guess with a car that is no longuer produced..i guess there will not bet any improvements.
I guess even if i get a more recent model i will also have problems on getting it runnig?
Im sure there is some company that made a harness so all can work the way it should with another unit..like this...i guess they supply the harness to
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Let me clarify:

A harness will only allow connection for an aftermarket unit to interface with the vehicle's electronic systems. Secondly another harness may be needed in order to allow the remote controls on the steering wheel to work with the aftermarket stereo.

Most modern vehicles now use complex multiplexed electrical data networks to send and receive information, so that the main computer in the car can control / talk to all the other ECUs on the vehicle.

The original head units today and the display screens on the vehicle contain their own computers that control, send and receive data. They can also provide a method for the driver to switch features on or off, such as wiping in reverse gear, central locking options, rear view indexing, directional headlights, etc., so if you remove the ECU (by removing the Head Unit or Display Screen) that handles all these options, you will lose the ability to change these permanently. There is no 'magic' harness that can make something work if your remove the ECU.

I had this same dilemma on my RT3 unit. - all I did was make a load of MP3 CDs with my favourite albums on and a few others with my own mix and lived with it. The RT3 didn't have a Jukebox option, so that was my only choice. You can still display the MP3 text on the display screen and you can still randomly play the tracks if you want etc.

The following is what I did for getting my work calls in the car from my mobile phone as Bluetooth is not supported on your system - this may help:
  • Get a compatible SIM card and slot that into the RT4.
  • Then on your mobile phone, create 2 contacts, let's say 'Car Divert' and 'Car Undivert'.
  • On the 'Car Divert' contact, enter **21* followed by the RT4's SIM card Telephone number and then a #
  • On the 'Car Undivert' contact enter ##21#
  • Assign a speed dial to your mobile for both contacts
  • Then when you are going for a spin in the car, just dial the 'Car Divert' contact or hit the assigned speed dial on your mobile and all your mobile calls will be diverted to the RT4 telephone so you'll have handsfree for your mobile effectively.
  • When you leave the car, just hit the 'Car Undivert' option or speed dial to route calls back to your mobile. :-D

I just set the option in the RT3 to hide the SIM card number from outgoing calls, as I didn't want callers to start ringing me on the car's phone number. That way they just called my mobile number and were none the wiser.

Marc
Tiago407sw16hdi

Once again Thank You.I understand what you mean.
In my case i can load some on the RT4 hdd.
Im not interested on getting calls or make them i dont use the phone wile im driving, and if a call comes up i usally stop to answer.
Some companies that i am now reading about claim they have the can bus cable were units they select work with all car systems.
I ask this one they said that all the functions of the original one will keep in the new one. ANd so far they sold for many 407 and they all worked???!!
Of course i didnt talk with any of the costumers......
What you think??