Room 101 open for deposits.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Room 101 open for deposits.....

Post by bobins »

Whilst it's perfectly reasonable to claim "that human-caused climate change is happening" (https://whatweknow.aaas.org/get-the-facts/), there aren't any practical solutions to the global scale problem - and you (the reader) really do need to think GLOBAL ! If you accept that, in its simplest form, climate change is driven by an increasing world population and rampant consumerism - then how are you going to solve that problem ? Humans have spent many centuries finely honing the 'materialistic' based society - the concept is embraced by most societies. You go to work to earn the money to buy the things to make you feel better and make your life easier. Bigger. Better. Faster. More. And so it goes.
By the end of today there'll be around 200,000 humans added to the world. So far this year we're looking at around 8,5000,000 additional people added to the world's population. Most of them will be driven by materialism in some shape or form. Think about what that means :shock: Spend a minute watching the population counter spin ever upwards on this website https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/ and think about the fact they'll all need to consume - some a paltry amount, some driven by greed, but they'll all consume. For every global benefit you score from your electric car, or triple insulated house, or working from home, or whatever - it'll be wiped out in a nano-second by the global increase in consumerism.
It's not practical to tell the world to 'Stop Buying Things' - partly because that's, ultimately, what drives people to get up in the morning, and partly because that's what drives the global economy and keeps people in business and taxes coming in to governments. It's also fairly impractical to try and control the global population increase - only wars and pandemics are good at that sort of thing.... and I can't see that happening any time soon 8-[

Whilst I really do admire Greta Thunberg for standing up and getting the headlines (and I really do like her for peeing off Trump :lol: ), there aren't any practical solutions to the global problem. Sure - you can make the Earth habitable for a little longer if we all strive to be 'green', but unless you knock 'consumerism' on the head or send the world population into gentle decline, mankind is still going to be stuffed in one way, shape or form :(

In its simplest form - will mankind stand a better chance of long term survival with more people on the planet, or fewer ?
Last edited by bobins on 07 Feb 2020, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I agree entirely with your arguement there Bobins but what are you putting in Room 101 ? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Donald Trump. Just because I can :rofl2:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

bobins wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 21:00 Donald Trump. Just because I can :rofl2:
The problem with that selection is that Room 101 has standards, and has rejected him! Try the local sewage farm, they might have a better place to put him (as he is full of it).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think Michel will have to go in for his political rants. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

I think I can justifiably drop TalkTalk's online Web Chat service into Room 101 from a very great height. I've been trying to set up TalkTalk's Mail Plus service to keep a recently deceased relative's emails going for the time being, but through every twist and turn on their website I'm being prevented from doing so, so I thought I'd try the web chat to see if they could resolve it. I explained the situation i.e. They're deceased, I want to set up Mail Plus, but can't. Their reply: "As you're not the account holder, we need to speak to them to confirm their details"
](*,)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

bobins wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 18:03 I think I can justifiably drop TalkTalk's online Web Chat service into Room 101 from a very great height. I've been trying to set up TalkTalk's Mail Plus service to keep a recently deceased relative's emails going for the time being, but through every twist and turn on their website I'm being prevented from doing so, so I thought I'd try the web chat to see if they could resolve it. I explained the situation i.e. They're deceased, I want to set up Mail Plus, but can't. Their reply: "As you're not the account holder, we need to speak to them to confirm their details"
](*,)
I would have done that last year following similar incompetence but I wasn't active on here then so well done!!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

VAR
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I had a Talktalk problem on Saturday, I had no internet, no broadband or internet lights on the router, called them on the phone, a bit of the 'press one, press two' hassle but not a big problem.

My biggest difficulty was that they communicated by text to my mobile and I'm not a 'texter'.

I did however manage and after a bit of question and answer to and fro was told that they would need to send an engineer and the timeframe was 24 to 72 hours, I could live with that so bothered no further.

At 8pm same day I got a text saying "your broadband is fixed" and it was, can't grumble at that.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Can I add incompetent medical staff? A friend is currently in hospital after suffering a couple of falls at home (so he is wearing a wrist band saying "Falls Risk"). He was complaining about pain in his leg, so they put him on a morphine drip. While this helped make him 'happy' the pain in his leg did not go away. Nine days after he was admitted the hospital decided to investigate further, and found his tibia was fractured.

The same hospital also have a problem with their kitchens. My friend is vegetarian. Twice, to my certain knowledge, he has been served meat dishes (and on one of these occasions this was not picked up on until the kitchens had closed, so his daughter had to cook and bring in an evening meal for him).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 09:42 I think Michel will have to go in for his political rants. :-D
Those posts have now been deleted for being overtly political and breach the AUP.

AUP
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Google, in all it's manifestations. I hate it with a vengeance not just for being totally corrupt but for corrupting my computer, as it slowly but surely takes control.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well I've watched one video on it so sorry Nissan into my personal 101 goes your

"e-power"

and along with it some other "badging" of vehicles with words.

"eco-Hybrid", "Plug-in Hybrid", "Blue Motion", "Eco Sport", "Eco Flex", "Eco Boost", and I am waivering over my own Leaf's Zero-emission little badge.

I will add to the list as I find more......

Can you think of any?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

e by gum? :lol:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've got a new rating for TV programmes, 'Pi' Poor imitation.

Start with Judge Rinder a poor imitation of Judge Judy and new Top Gear a poor imitation of the original.

Any more?