MyWay clock losing time

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

swc_7+
My Cars: citroen c4 grand picasso
citroen c5 vtr+nav tourer

MyWay clock losing time

Post by swc_7+ »

I have the 1.6hdi vtr+nav tourer 59 plate and the radio loses time, if left for 24 hours it will lose 30 mins. i have tried it with sync with gps but it can take a while for the gps to connect and it wont sync anyway,, it is always a 15 min shift whole sync gps is ticked and i try to adjust time. Any ideas before i put a bit tape over the screen to hide the time. thanks
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: MyWay clock losing time

Post by Paul-R »

How long are you leaving it to sync with the GPS? If you set the time correctly and then leave it with the GPS ticked does it still lose time?

Does the navigation work properly with the GPS?

Welcome to the forum BTW!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Does that system have a CMOS battery?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

swc_7+ wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 01:20 I have the 1.6hdi vtr+nav tourer 59 plate and the radio loses time, if left for 24 hours it will lose 30 mins. i have tried it with sync with gps but it can take a while for the gps to connect and it wont sync anyway,, it is always a 15 min shift whole sync gps is ticked and i try to adjust time. Any ideas before i put a bit tape over the screen to hide the time. thanks
The reason will be because of the GPS Week Number Rollover that occurred on 6th to 7th of April 2019. It affected GPS systems like some aircraft, phones and navigation systems for example. The MyWay system is one such device, but there is no current firmware patch available to patch the unit as they are no longer fitted and mapping software has ceased a few years ago.

The only thing you can do is the opposite of what you have done. - That is UNTICK the Synch with GPS option. Then set the date / Time manually. That should resolve the issue.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
swc_7+

Post by swc_7+ »

Paul-R wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 08:42 How long are you leaving it to sync with the GPS? If you set the time correctly and then leave it with the GPS ticked does it still lose time?

Does the navigation work properly with the GPS?

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Thanks Paul-R, yes the sat nav works fine, can take 5 minutes to get a proper fix with altitude but works after a few minutes, if i go on a long drive for an hour or more the system will sometimes reset itself and gps is a nightmare to fix again but it eventually does get the correct fix on my position... I have updated the maps with the 2018 maps etc and i also updated the firmware in the radio to the latest, i bought the car a few months ago and have fixed a few little problems but the radio and a flat spot driving at 1250 to 1750 rpm is all i have to see fix now.... i have had the sync with GPS box checked as well but it still loses time. i have had a full diagnostic done and everything seems ok.
swc_7+

Post by swc_7+ »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 09:53 Does that system have a CMOS battery?
Hi Gibbo2286, im not sure if it does,, it might however have a backup capacitor fitted but finding a schematic for it is hitting a dead end. I might have to take it out and strip it down to see. It is strange for a digital clock to lose time unless the parameters in its programming are wrong, i do however get Economy mode on the screen after a few seconds of ignition being on but the battery is fine. if ignition is off and i switch on radio it will go off after less than 10 seconds.
swc_7+

Post by swc_7+ »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 11:00
swc_7+ wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 01:20 I have the 1.6hdi vtr+nav tourer 59 plate and the radio loses time, if left for 24 hours it will lose 30 mins. i have tried it with sync with gps but it can take a while for the gps to connect and it wont sync anyway,, it is always a 15 min shift whole sync gps is ticked and i try to adjust time. Any ideas before i put a bit tape over the screen to hide the time. thanks
The reason will be because of the GPS Week Number Rollover that occurred on 6th to 7th of April 2019. It affected GPS systems like some aircraft, phones and navigation systems for example. The MyWay system is one such device, but there is no current firmware patch available to patch the unit as they are no longer fitted and mapping software has ceased a few years ago.

The only thing you can do is the opposite of what you have done. - That is UNTICK the Synch with GPS option. Then set the date / Time manually. That should resolve the issue.
Hi, thanks for your response,i did read about some devices having issues with gps on a map download page a few months ago now you mention it. I have unticked the box and it still loses time though, i have reset the system a few times with the hope it will rectify itself but still losing time... looks like a bit tape then
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What about the radio stations? Is the unit also losing presets or any other memorised settings? Lastly, what version of firmware do you have on the unit?

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I don't have a sat-nav in the car but I have an old Tom Tom one that they have informed me on almost a daily basis that is not compatible with the latest system upgrade although it will still work partially.

They want me to buy a new one but I have little use for it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
oyvjc
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 2.0 HDI saloon

Post by oyvjc »

Did anyone manage to solve this problem as my car has exactly the same issue?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If your system clock is flashing regularly each time you start the car each day - then the most likely cause is the car battery is weak. The date and time flashing is a symptom of power loss or interruption - often caused by a poor battery. Also, make sure you have NOT ticked the 'Synchronise time with GPS' option as that needs unticking on the RT4, MyWay, eMyWay, RT6 and NG4 systems to cope with the GPS N Week Rollover limitations that happened on the 6th April 2019.

Marc
oyvjc

Post by oyvjc »

Thanks Marc
The system clock does not flash and the GPS option is unticked.
Do you mean the main car battery? The car starts fine even in the cold after being left for a day. Is there a separate back up battery for the clock? It keeps all the radio stations and previous destinations.
Joe
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Joe

I'm not sure which system you have, but assume this is the MyWay as you've posted in this thread. Yes I meant the car battery. Starting ok is not always a good indication of battery health - it's the battery's ability to hold a decent charge for long enough, but I would also check your battery terminal wiring and ensure there is no corrosion and also the earthing points.

The radio stations and previous destinations are saved to flash memory - but date and time are kept live whilst there is power. There is no separate backup battery for this system.

Marc
oyvjc

Post by oyvjc »

Thanks Marc
I will give the battery a good check
It is the MyWay, updated to the latest software.
Joe
oyvjc

Post by oyvjc »

Marc,
I think you are on to something with the earthing. Only had chance for a quick check. Meter across the battery terminals, the voltage is good. Move the negative meter lead to the engine, same voltage. Move the lead to the body and there is a volt drop. It may just have been a bad earth on the meter lead, but I will investigate further and clean up the body earthing point.
Joe