5G

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

5G

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well lets try 5G and go for the record of the shortest thread title ever posted on the FCF, unless you know different.

Let's hope for a modest number of responses. Might help me to move from my current position of total ignorance.

Still total ignorance doesn't prevent me from taking a view......

Yes in this world of global commerce we are concerned it appears about a company from another country installing the 5G network.......er a company from the same country is designing our nuclear power plants.

So 5G is the gateway to the "internet of things"............yes every "thing" gets more complicated and rather than keeping your fresh produce cool your fridge you will now get the ubiquitous "lines of software" to connect it to the "internet of things".

Of course to join the "internet of things" ...everyone will need a "device". Presumably if you already have a "device" you will have to get a "new device"...and the "device sellers"...are on a win/win.

One of the "things" will of course be your car. It will probably be 50% more expensive than it needs to be if the "connectivity" or the autonomous driving capability were omitted. Yes a heavy price to be paid for getting your car to take the dog to the vet, rather than going driving down with the dog yourself.

Anyway random thought away and join in!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: 5G

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 09:47
One of the "things" will of course be your car. It will probably be 50% more expensive than it needs to be if the "connectivity" or the autonomous driving capability were omitted. Yes a heavy price to be paid for getting your car to take the dog to the vet, rather than going driving down with the dog yourself.

Regards Neil
But will the dog be able to take the car to the garage? :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

5G?

We currently don't have any 'G' where we are, so won't make any difference to me.

I'm actually dreading the prospect of trying to navigate the town / village with people soon to be glued to their mobiles, watching catch-up TV or the latest Ultra High Definition Movie whilst shopping - spare me.

The only thing I use my phone for when out is calls, and getting / responding to a message when I'm having a coffee and with enough welly to web browse when I'm in a coffee shop maybe. But for that I can use the free BT network.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Some journalists seem to have difficulty exemplifying the vistas that can be opened up

You can download a movie in 7 seconds. So what? You can't watch it that fast

As for security aspects, there'a number of Americans keenly telling us this means the Chinese could spy on us.

There's an unspoken corollary of that basic assumption - are the Americans spying on us now
NewcastleFalcon

Well this is what has been decided

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51283059

Interesting if ludicrous line.....it will be excluded near........ nuclear sites......

No need, Hinckley Point , And Sizewell more than covered already

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think he has had to strike a balance though - between getting a service rolled out as promised and at the same time limiting Huawei's access to the more sensitive areas of the system. There will be criticism either way - so I'm glad he's just made a balanced decision.

Another reason why we need to reclaim and expand our technical expertise in this country and stop relying on others. It's been reported that in the US, they pay an additional £20 a month for their smart phone contracts as they need to purchase more expensive kit to do the job seeing as they have banned Huawei from infrastructure there.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

What will 5G bring that any other G doesn’t?

The most ludicrously useless the better...

Suggestions invited

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

You will be able to control your fish pond ice breaking submarine to activate whenever the temperature drops below freezing and send a video of the operation to your phone in real time!!
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

mickthemaverick wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 18:50 You will be able to control your fish pond ice breaking submarine to activate whenever the temperature drops below freezing and send a video of the operation to your phone in real time!!
I thought we were going for ludicrously useless?... That's inspired! :rofl2:

But what about the "millimetre wave radiation" microwaving us all from the inside? :roll: Did the folk that thought that one up not realise that 'phones already work on micro-wavelengths without cooking our gizzards?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Might cut down on cremation costs as we'll be halfway there already.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

myglaren wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 09:22 Might cut down on cremation costs as we'll be halfway there already.
With that in mind Steve perhaps an implanted heart monitor could detect death and phone the undertaker, or even initiate massive radiation emission and complete the vapourisation and thus save us the horrendous funeral costs which will of course be even worse when 5G "live" video is added to the bill!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Its an article, its about 5G, and its about vehicles.

Other than that, its very short and picks out one of the most trivial problems that dont need solving which apparently 5g will solve.......how to charge the car 12V battery from the alternator more efficiently.

Not Autocar's finest hour......

Under the skin: how 5G data networks will revolutionise vehicle tech
5G data networks will enable a huge leap forward in driver assistance systems. Here's why

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Whoever wrote that article hasn't seen recent news reports about so-called smart motorways, where some differences emerge between hypothesis and the real world at the moment.

Some of the 'roadside sensors' don't exist yet. Never mind the difference between 5 and 200 ms, the 'latency' from someone stopping to a lane being closed can be about 17 minutes, during which time someone might have smacked into the back of them.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

andy5 wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 09:31 Whoever wrote that article hasn't seen recent news reports about so-called smart motorways, where some differences emerge between hypothesis and the real world at the moment.

Some of the 'roadside sensors' don't exist yet. Never mind the difference between 5 and 200 ms, the 'latency' from someone stopping to a lane being closed can be about 17 minutes, during which time someone might have smacked into the back of them.
Resulting, so far, in something like 38 avoidable deaths.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

They are rolling out 5g in Ireland apparently people who can't get 4g will now be unable to get 5g so that's OK. It does have it's uses when set up eg rural; broadband where there is poor wired broadband. As for Huawei it seems to me that the American ban is down to a whim and temper tantrum by the president. My Korean branded TV was made in China as was my Japanese DVD player and my American phone. I'm sure at least one of these devices is spying on me, how boring for those who have to analyse the stuff I get up to!
The internet of things is not going to happen in Ireland in my lifetime. Driving through parts of Ireland you can't pick up RTE radio, the national broadcaster, and radio is old technology. The chances of them getting smart fridges etc to work before I snuff it is zilch. It doesn't strike me as being useful to me only to advertisers. My sister in the UK had a Alexia thing she talks to it all the time and it listens, bugger that.
Oh buggle