Bipper with ECG gearbox

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tracula
My Cars: Bipper Tepee
Disco2
Volvo S80
Defender 110(Ex Military)
London Taxi TX2
Kubota Tractor S108

Bipper with ECG gearbox

Post by Tracula »

Swmbo has this Bipper with an ECG gearbox,

Recently, sometimes when she goes over speed bumps, or turns sharp left, the Bermuda Triangle lights up followed by the klaxon of doom, the gearbox selects any gear it wants and the whole thing grinds to a halt. Garages are flummoxed, which is not in itself unusual, but does leave us adrift.
As she is a disabled person I can’t let her out in a car that is not reliable.

Initially I thought that the gearbox module would be the likely candidate, as it’s cleverly positioned by the left front wheel to catch as much sludge as possible before the water and grit can escape down the drainholes.
After a toasting and cleaning nothing changed, so I had to look further.

My search lead me to Amazon, and the eager purchase of a do all diagbox thingy, that apparently wakes you up with a cup of tea before it goes off to fix your car for you. Can’t wait!!
Well, wait I did, and wait some more, and waited till just after eternity. Finally I got upto version 7.57. That seemed long enough so I pulled the plug so I could insert the plug.
Everything dawdled into life at a suitably sedentary pace. This was going to be a piece of cake.

Modules,
BSI, no dialogue.
Main ECU EDC16C34.
ABS ABS81
Gearbox BVMP.
Everything else, no dialogue
WTF!!

There was this little diagram that showed 2 can systems, C_Can from BSI to ABS to Gearbox to Main all good.
Another, B-Can, also from BSI, that showed a break between airbags and Main. All those other ‘modules’ are greyed out.
But the faults register on the C-Can not the B-Can
Now, the wiring diagram, Sadre I think it said it was, is very poor for the Bipper, and only shows a few bits. Now I know, thanks to Marc, that the Bipper is not like all the other proper Peugeots. Anyway, it shows a picture of the diagnostic socket that has C-Can on pins 6 and 14 and B-Can on pins 1 and 9.
Out with the osmelloscope and ‘no information’ passing on pin 1.

Yippee, cracked it.

Not so fast, it seems it only fires up when something is activated, like me squirming on the seat setting of the seatbelt light.

The difficulty for me is that it is an intermittent fault, which cancels out a permanent break in the wiring like the Diagbox shows. Or maybe not if B-Can is a true 2 wire Canbus, but then it would show the other modules unless both wires are broken. Hmmm.

Dear long suffering readers what am I to make of this, where do I turn now? Is this Peugeot in the history of all saintly things the only one that has duff signal to scanner wiring? Are these ‘spammer scanners’ any good? I don’t mind doing some detecting but I need something that works dependably.

It seems the first mistake I’ve made is assumed that test equipment has been tested. I realise, also, there is an s1279 adapter needed, and I do have that adapter as well. Is that what's wrong?

Oh, before I lose your interest completely I found a little wheeze where with a program from AOMEI(free version) you can put a bootable copy of any version of windows on a usb stick to fire up your lappy and install Diagbox on that. You will need a licenced key for the windows, and change the boot order in bios, but beats vm for speed. Plus, it leaves your puter unfrigged. It’s called ‘Windows to Go’. Now I can have different car scanners on different USB flash drives to use the same lappy…..result.

Sorry if you all already knew that :)

If anybody can point me in the right direction I will be eternally grateful.

Jimmy.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Bipper with ECG gearbox

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you can post up the VIN of the Bipper (which will automatically be obscured so only Forum staff can read it) a Moderator can then (possibly) look her up on the relevant systems.

There is a possibility that your DiagBox may not be able to fully 'read' the van. This is because it may be a partnership vehicle (made with Fiat), and needs an extra module to allow DiagBox to read them. This is the S1279 module. Do you have this module? If not, they can be purchased separately (he is the Easy Diagnostics variant);

https://www.easydiagnostics.co.uk/produ ... ot-lexia-3

Oh, useful information about that Windows system. Thanks for that.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Tracula wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 19:29 I realise, also, there is an s1279 adapter needed, and I do have that adapter as well. Is that what's wrong?
He's aware of that James - I covered it in his Introductions post.

So 'Count T' have you actually connected the S1279 module up and ran a diagnostic?

Your problems may still exist with the VCI - is it a full-chip unit, Revision 'C'? If you're not sure, can you post a link to the seller on Amazon and I'll have a squiz. The cloned units are not equal and quality varies - usually related to price. Anything less than about £90 may mean it is a cut down version that will have issues talking to the later CAN systems on some vehicles.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Tracula
Disco2
Volvo S80
London Taxi TX2
Kubota Tractor S108

Post by Tracula »

Hi James and Marc again. We'll have to stop meeting like this, lol.

Right Vin is: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Seller on Amazon is Cheng....Gold edge.....full revision C, blah, blah....some customer say not do C5 very well. Marc, I suspect you are right and this is a daffy duck.
The reason I say that is that any scanner should pickup something with or without an adapter cause a lot of info is generic, and this one doesn't pickup anything at all without the adapter.
I bought it from Amazon themselves so I could send it back if a dud, and I think I will do that anyway, so it won't have cost me anything, so to speak, except a lot of time.

Thanks again for your interest.

Jimmy
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem, that statement is commonly used by the sellers of the cheaper units. So that will be the reason most likely. These units are missing a resistor and several Optocouplers. So you are doing the right thing as you don’t want to be left with a 🍋

Marc
Tracula
Disco2
Volvo S80
London Taxi TX2
Kubota Tractor S108

Post by Tracula »

Yes, I sent it back friend.

Having read up some more, mostly your stuff I think Marc, I looked inside and one board looked good but the second was the poor quality one I’ve seen pictures of.

It’s hard enough in this modern world where a whole vehicle becomes scrap through one corroded wire without having to fight with dodgy test stuff.

What I would like to know is, when the machines take over who is going to get them through the MOT’s.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Tracula wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 11:40 What I would like to know is, when the machines take over who is going to get them through the MOT’s.
Ah, they've already thought of all that... When they rise, any vehicle detecting an issue not complying to MoT standards be it a cracked light or a rotten sill, they'll automatically self-destruct forcing one to purchase a new car on the spot :roll:

Back to Earth for a moment though, and I do suspect the DB clone was giving issues (and if not, couldn't be 100% trusted really) so sending back was the right choice. I take it you've seen the discount on offer for members, from Easydiagnostics? That's the place to get a trustworthy kit from.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem, there won't be any MOTs by then as we won't be allowed to have our have our own vehicles anymore I suspect. :yikes:

Marc
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 12:02 No problem, there won't be any MOTs by then as we won't be allowed to have our have our own vehicles anymore I suspect. :yikes:
They'll take my life before they take my car!
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:rofl2:

Marc
Tracula
Disco2
Volvo S80
London Taxi TX2
Kubota Tractor S108

Post by Tracula »

Thanks ekjdm14, I have read about the discount but it would seem a bit naughty to just register and then apply for members benefits.

I was going to order another from easydiagnostics anyway but their site is closed until Monday. I really wanted to message them to make sure it would be suitable for this actual 'Turkey' 'Fiat' vehicle so I could tick that box. Mind you, I wonder if they could supply sage and onion stuffing :roll: that might make it taste a bit sweeter :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not a problem - if you are going to buy from them and want a discount follow the procedure and I'll sort it for you.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 12:02 No problem, there won't be any MOTs by then as we won't be allowed to have our have our own vehicles anymore I suspect. :yikes:
As there won't be any fossil fuels left (and all of the computers will be grabbing the electricity for their own usage!) we will have to take our transport to the vets to get them checked out. This always assumes the horses will let us ride them again!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 14:22
As there won't be any fossil fuels left (and all of the computers will be grabbing the electricity for their own usage!) we will have to take our transport to the vets to get them checked out. This always assumes the horses will let us ride them again!
Hence my love for the Black beauty... One simple mod (remove the stop solenoid plunger) actually I lied, 2! She'd need a manual 'box!) and park on a hill, she'll start and run just fine without a single milliamp of electricity, and fuel? That grows in the ground and turns a lovely yellow colour in summer 8-) What about winter starts though, IDI's don't like the cold especially on veg oil? Simples, the Russians have got by lighting fires under the sump/holding a burning rag to the intake for decades, I'm sure it's a skill I could master :wink:
Tracula
Disco2
Volvo S80
London Taxi TX2
Kubota Tractor S108

Post by Tracula »

Love it :) Funny Forum. Valves and steam engines................can't wait :-D

Thanks Marc, that's kind, I will speak to them Monday about suitability, and let you know.