2005 Berlingo wiper mechanism

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nginmu
My Cars: Jan 2005 Dispatch 815D Enterprise

2005 Berlingo wiper mechanism

Post by nginmu »

All the electronics seem to work ok & the windscreen wiper motor operates normally.

The wipers themselves don't move.

Stripped the plastic guards and the wiper arms away to get a proper look at the innards. This revealed both metal push arms had fallen off the passenger side wiper's crank arm.

It looks like the crank pin that the arms attach to, has a sort of double bulge desiign like two barrels one atop the other. The two push arms each have a rubber grommet inside a hole at the end, and these grommets push up and onto the crank pin 'barrels'.

I pushed the push arms back up onto the crankpin barrels, one atop the other, both seemed to give a satisfying rubbery click as they engaged their respective barrels on the crank pin.

Reassembled the covers & now the wipers work fine.

Advised mate whose van it is, to minimise use of wipers, never use wipers dry, & have plenty soap in the washer fluid.. to try and minimise the chance of the arms popping off again before he gets a proper repair done.

My question is.. should there be some sort of retaining circlip of similar, on the end of the passenger wiper crank pin, providing positive retainment of the push arms? or are they retained purely by the design of the rubber grommets?

If there really is nothing else holding the push arms on except the rubberiness of the grommets.. I guess they've fallen off because they've worn out.. are these grommets obtainable by themselves?
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Re: 2005 Berlingo wiper mechanism

Post by ksanturion10 »

On my Xantia there is the same design (probably for every Xantia).
I had to use a spanner between the rods to remove the most upper one.
It was really hard to remove it from the "barrels" as you call them.
My impression is that the joints were plastic and not rubberish.
I've put some PTFE grease over the moving joints and with the same amount of effort managed to clip the top one back over the "barrels".
Either they are worn too much or the top one, which prevents the lower one from escaping upwards, was not pushed back firmly enough.
The clipping should make firm sound.

BR
Martin
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
nginmu
My Cars: Jan 2005 Dispatch 815D Enterprise

Post by nginmu »

Thanks for responding

So there's no final circlip or snap ring at the end of the crankpin on yours either? Just simply, the two plastic/rubber grommets themselves holding the rods on?

Yes you're right.. probably more plasticky than rubbery

Would anyone happen to know the Citroen part numbers for these grommets/bushes, if they're available separately?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pop your VIN up and I'll get a diagram for you and a part - although I suspect it will be part of the conrod assembly....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ksanturion10
My Cars: Xantia Estate X1 1.8i, 16v

Post by ksanturion10 »

nginmu wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 08:02 Thanks for responding

So there's no final circlip or snap ring at the end of the crankpin on yours either? Just simply, the two plastic/rubber grommets themselves holding the rods on?

Yes you're right.. probably more plasticky than rubbery

Would anyone happen to know the Citroen part numbers for these grommets/bushes, if they're available separately?
Don't remember exactly. I think there wasn't a circlip or snap ring. It was hard to remove the top rod from both ends.
Actually, I made some dents over the edges of the plastic joints while the removal, so it's possible that I've missed a snap ring if it was there, hence the difficult removal.
Yours securing might be somehow different, but as for the mechanics, it seems they are the same.
Can't advice regarding the parts numbers.

BR
Martin
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P