Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by bobins »

<Tongue in cheek:ON>
They could charge BEV owners £20 each time they tell an ICE driver how good their electric vehicle is. That should more than make up for the shortfall.
<Tongue in cheek:OFF>
:rofl2:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Couple of New Rapid Chargers just off Gosforth High Street not quite activated yet.

Similar project to the "combined Authority" approach in the West Yorkshire Area I would hope.
nf own work
nf own work
Public chargers getting noticably busier, not helped by our Audi friend with the antithesis of an EV rather gormlessly parked in the EV Bay.
nf own work
nf own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

1578400771878.png
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

myglaren wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 22:54 Image
This picture reminds me of a joke the sixth form played on a teacher who was not well liked. Somebody came up with the idea of putting about a pint of full fat milk into each of his tyres. As he was not a good driver (who did not 'listen' to what his car was 'telling' him) he did not notice for quite a while that there was an issue, until he had a puncture. The tyre place was rather surprised to find a somewhat rancid 'cheese' in that tyre (and the same was then found in the others)!

This was the same sixth form who managed to get hold of the keys to the sixth form block during the summer holiday. They then completely dismantled a Morris Minor, took it through the building, and re-built it on the flat roof. It was unusual to come into school on the first day after the holidays to see a load of people up on said roof standing around a car and scratching their heads. It did cost the school a bit of money to get it craned down (Mum did suggest afterwards it could have been a useful teaching exercise for the next sixth form mechanical classes to take it apart, get it off the roof, re-assemble it and see if it still ran).

Oh, and before anybody makes any 'accusations', I never got enough in my O Level exams to get into the sixth forms (and try for any A Levels)!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 09:40
Oh, and before anybody makes any 'accusations', I never got enough in my O Level exams to get into the sixth forms (and try for any A Levels)!
Now come on James, who would dream of making any such accusations on here? :-k :-**
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Glad to hear there were kindred Sixth Form spirits not too far away. On Ealing Green, one April 1 prank involved hauling (by rope) a Latin teacher's Bond 3-wheeler up the front of a two-storey building, and leaving it on the roof, facing outwards across the Green, and pointing towards the Queen Victoria pub.

On the same day (obviously a good one for pranks) an advertisement appeared in the property for sale section of the local newspaper for A large residence across three floors, with annexes, full central heating, function room, office, gymnasium, large car parking space, and resident caretaker's accommodation. Enquiries to 01-567 xxxx. The property was Ealing Grammar School for Boys. For some odd reason, the Headmaster never saw the joke.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

There are a lot of players paddling around the infrastructure expansion in the UK. Much of it is sponsored out of the UK's Office for Low Emissions Vehicles under the Go Ultra Low initiative.

Down in the West Country Go Ultra Low West has the public charging network Revive ....led by Siemens Mobility working with Alfen and ENGIE EV Solutions (formerly ChargePoint Services) to deliver new charging hubs and more than 120 new EV connections across the West of England.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Bristol seem rather mercenary

Bristol Post
An electric car owner has criticised Bristol City Council for increasing the cost of using charging points at a council-owned car park.

Michael Biggins has owned a Tesla electric car, one of the first of its kind to make it to the UK, for four years.

The 32-year-old has claimed the cost of charging his electric car in West End car park has now significantly increased unannounced.

It used to be a flat fee of £1, he claimed, but with the new charges, it would cost him £4.50 just to charge his car for a couple of hours. On top of this, he would still have to pay for parking itself.

Mr Biggins - who uses the car park a couple of times a month when he goes to Park Street - added: "That would get me 14 units of power.

"My car's battery has 70 units and some have as much as 100 units.

"If you have a bigger car, it is really expensive.
NewcastleFalcon

Well out today a report of a Task Force :-D

Major EV report calls for charging firms to allow 'roaming'
Government-backed EV Energy Taskforce proposes common charging standards and moves to promote smart charging

The horses mouth is here, quite a turgid read

https://www.lowcvp.org.uk/projects/elec ... kforce.htm

You dont get the impression of this is what we are going to do, get on and implement it. Certain things which should take five minutes and one sheet of A4 paper to sort out, get kicked into the long grass Universal point of sale information (like the £x.xx/litre of Petrol) and universal access via a simple bank payment card are surely immediate things before the market continues to install bespoke "club" chargers only available if you are in that particular club.

Dont really get this smart charging thing where EV's form some sort of storage capacity for the national grid.
Maybe its a marvellous and important thing, or just a ridiculous complication, or a con trick to get everyone on a smart meter in their own homes.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 17:24 Well they said 3 to 5 days, landed on the mat this morning after ordering it on-line Thursday night. Chargeplace Scotland card all the way from Shoreham by the Sea West Sussex :-D I mean its like Scott's Porridge Porage Oats being owned by Pepsico :-D

Regards Neil
Today was the day we used our chargeplace scotland card on a borders tour.

Coldstream
nf own work Coldstream Henderson Park
nf own work Coldstream Henderson Park
Kelso
nf own work Kelso Car Park Behind the Abbey
nf own work Kelso Car Park Behind the Abbey
and for those who prefer a drop of scenery rather than a charging point
Coldstream
nf own work Coldstream
nf own work Coldstream
Kelso
nf own work Kelso
nf own work Kelso
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 Jan 2020, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Incidentally Neil - what did they charge you to fill charge her up?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

GiveMeABreak wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 19:23 Incidentally Neil - what did they charge you to fill charge her up?
Because I now have the Chargeplace Scotland card which I paid £20/year for, the charge at Coldstream was free, and as of now the one at Kelso also appeared to have been free :-D .

Even if I paid full whack on PAYG with a bank card, I would have been charged £1.72 (8.6 kWh @ £0.20 for a 33ish Miles top up)

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Ionity.............

"The company, formed as part of a joint venture between BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Ford and the Volkswagen Group, currently operates a ‘pay per vend’ system with a flat fee of £8 per charging session in the UK. As of 31 January, the new system, for customers without contracts, means they will pay €0.79 (69p) per kWh."

apologies for the large text but....

69p per kWh

Are they mad? Even the rip-off motorway service stations only charge 39p/kWh, 69p/kwh its more expensive than petrol or diesel :-D

No idea where they are coming from are they hoping that no-one will notice? or are they going to offer a membership of their charging club at reduced rates with the sale of their cars.

The market will determine the price per kWh, but Ionity, with PAYG price at such a high level, are not going to add anything to the usability of a national charging infrastructure of the UK even if they put 400 of them in place. It's a move which reinforces the join our club, buy our cars, get cheaper fuel approach, and very likely on the back of public subsidy for the installations.

Ionity to launch new pricing structure as EV charger rollout continues
Network will switch to kWh-based scheme on 31 January; CEO says it's “on track” to have 400 chargers live by 2021

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Now this should be good news. Scheme in Nottingham just got the green light to trial "wireless Charging" at Taxi Rank outside Nottingham railway Station.

Infrastructure to be installed right away but trial starts in 2021.

But having watched the video Simon Posted up on the London Taxi Driver.....with his Kia Niro, and his 98 miles left in reserve after a 225 mile shift..........has the Taxi "problem" not already been solved :?:

I can see an energy towards investing in infrastructure, and all sorts of schemes will get the go-ahead, but this one which involves

"Ten electric taxis in the city will be able to recharge their batteries by parking over five plates in the road while waiting for their next passengers."

Isn't the point of Taxi Ranks that the Taxis move up the line to the front of the queue. Is there going to be a separate rank altogether for the electric taxis and is 5 minutes hovering over a pad going to be any use whatsoever?

Probably cheaper to trial 10 Kia e-niros and let the drivers see if they make more money out of them, and if they do, all the rank will want one.................result.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

You beat me to posting this article about Ionity’s price hike:

https://electrek.co/2020/01/17/ionity-i ... anuary-31/

I have one word. Greedy.

Not to mention that Ionity is owned by a conglomeration of car makers producing EV’s who apparently haven’t worked out that fast, widely available and reasonably priced rapid charging directly helps sales of their own EV’s and that making it too expensive hinders sales of their EV’s. Nice own goal there...

Good luck to them. Shell Recharge originally aimed to launch at 50p/kWh but walked that back when they realised they’d be by far the most expensive network and nobody would go for that...

By the way Ionity are CCS only so no use to either of us Neil. They don’t support Chademo or rapid AC. This is because all the makers within the Ionity conglomeration only make CCS cars.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive