Thanks

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Thanks

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

xantia_v6 wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 04:34 The forum is due for a software update on several components, including the PHP engine, the forum core software and several forum extensions.

I have been doing preparatory work on this for a few weeks, and I think that all of the packages are ready.
I intend to start on this this week, which will require the forum to be offline for several hours at a time, and it may take 2 or 3 sessions to complete.
I will be mainly working between midnight and 4am to minimise disruption,
I read that post this morning from Mike, and particularly the highlighted sentences.

What tremendous work goes on to facilitate our own enjoyment of this great forum.

With modern cars there are fewer and fewer DIY mechanics, and the problems to solve increasingly are more of a techy nature...lights coming on, fault codes, sensors, limp modes etc. Luckily there are still the experts willing to help and you have to give Marc "Give me a break" a special mention. I dont think there is another forum as switched on in those matters than the FCF.

When I look at the forum in the morning, I like to see new content, new conversations, or old favourites, catch up on the blogs or see if I can chip in to help with the core "car problems".

So use this thread to express your own gratitude, and my challenge is to reward all the hard work behind the scenes by making a conscious effort to join in with the posts, start new threads, welcome new members, and keep the FCF what it is, the best Car related forum on the net.

Thanks to all

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Thanks

Post by mickthemaverick »

I fully endorse all Neil's comments. Until I remembered this forum in May last year I was scrabbling around trying to get information about my C5 without much luck. I had joined the forum in a previous Citroen ownership period while I was working and hence I didn't really have time to get properly involved then. From the moment I joined I was welcomed and shown how to make the most of it by Mike, Steve, Chris, James and Neil and of course given all the help and advice I needed to an extraordinary level of detail by Marc. Obviously many other members chip in along the way and I like to feel I have found a new bunch of mates.
Without doubt this is the best internet experience I have come across and with Neil I look forward to a long and entertaining membership with full recognition of the efforts made by the admin team to keep it running. Thankyou everyone!! :) :) :)
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 14 Jan 2020, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

^^^ What they have said ^^^
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Many thanks for your continued and valuable support Mike.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I'd like to add my thanks to Mike for going beyond the norm by working at such unsociable hours to keep the disruption to a minimum.

On a related theme, I'd also like to thank you for staying with phpBB forum software with its lean memory footprint. It makes such a refreshing change to the bloatware from the likes of XenForo, vBulletin and especially WordPress, all of which seem to waste screen space and prioritise mobile phones to the detriment of traditional computer screens.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for the comments on behalf of the team.

It’s handy for UK / European members whilst Mike does the upgrades as New Zealand is 13 hours ahead of UK time, so probably works out well for all concerned.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Ah shucks...

Thanks for saying all the nice things...

I have to come clean and tell you that the hours are not so unsociable as I am in New Zealand at present, which is convenient for server maintenance, but makes remote desktop access to the UK servers a bit slooooow.

The upcoming upgrade of the core forum software includes at least one change that I wrote, to make unapproved posts visible (and editable) by the sender. I also wrote a more important core enhancement to standardise forum url structure to improve indexing by search engines, but for now it is exclusive to this site, as it just missed the cut-off for the version release.

BTW, there are not many visible changes in the new software version, it is mostly under-the-bonnet stuff, triggered by some internal software versions going out of support.

This might be a good time to remind people that the operating costs of this forum are funded by donations and FCF sticker purchases, and we are grateful to those users who contribute.
You can donate via Paypal using the button in the forum header, or if it suits you, we can accept direct payments to our bank account, contact RichardW for details. You can even establish a regular DD of £1 per month, but it is all voluntary.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I mentioned to SWMBO that you are in New Zealand Mike, as she is a Kiwi who came to the UK in the seventies and still has family in the North Island. She was interested to know where you are? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Paul-R
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

xantia_v6 wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 19:43I have to come clean and tell you that the hours are not so unsociable as I am in New Zealand at present...
I take it all back! :rofl2:
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​