Car News-Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Car News-Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Here's one for Mick from US Mag Car and Driver.

Bloodhound Lives to Fight Another Day, Going for World Land Speed Record

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So what are BMW, or at least their BMW Mini wing doing....

Building a factory in China in a joint venture with Great Wall to produce e-mini's for the Chinese and world-wide market due to open in 2022.

Still, the first e-minis to be produced for the UK market will come out of Plant Oxford.

New electric Mini models to be built in China
New BMW Group and Great Wall plant will produce Mini EVs – but Oxford will "remain the heart" of operations

Looks like they are reviving the "Mini Rocketman" too a sort of littler Mini, again planned to come out of the new China factory.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Report: soaring SUV sales causing car emissions to rise
UK Energy Research Centre calls for 'immediate action' to slow growth in high-riding vehicles

New cars proving difficult to shift in general, but of the ones that do shift apparently the public want SUV's.

Maybe theres going to be an acceleration in EV's, and eventually its inevitable, but right now the roads and carparks self-evidently are filled and continue to be filled with petrol and diesel. Means I can usually get onto a public charger no problem at the moment :)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

A philosophical statement to consider this morning....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That's a disappointing statement from Honda, who, like Toyota, have a massive investment in internal combustion. This is where legislators can force their hand, simply by enforcing (!) ever-stricter emissions and air-quality standards. If H and T aren't careful, the Chinese will simply leave them behind.
Chris
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

.......but what if Honda and Toyota realised a few years ago that, ultimately, their long term survival depended on them being bought out by the Chinese ?
When you look at China's potential, the phrase 'If you can't beat them, join them' springs to mind :?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Now there's a thought... :-k
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

Honda have a couple of 50/50 partnerships with Chinese Automakers Dongfeng and GAC and, according to the SCMP

Honda thrives in China’s slumping car market as its Civic, CR-V models prove popular with mainland consumers

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

So Times Square, New Years Eve which Car Manufacturer emblazoned its "new logo" on the clock......
VW of course<br />screenshot
VW of course
screenshot
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

VW trying to get a message across in the USA....this also featured on prominently on New Years Eve, and in todays US sporting events.

Its farewell to the Beetle, with the Beatles "Let it be" being sung by children in the background, and several references to nostalgic elements of the beetle. At the end it, and VW moves on with the closing narrative.

I sort of think VW want to draw a line and show everyone in the US they are moving on. The Times Square clock advert must have cost an absolute fortune, but put VW at the heart of an iconic US moment and a new decade starting.

Its all drawings, but Andy Warhol appears and takes a snap (he famously did a painting of the VW Beetle) and Kevin Bacon also appears (drove a VW Beetle in Footloose). "Think Small" and "Lemon" ad slogans from the 60's reprised.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

While governments tend to work at a snail's pace, TESLA forge on at a pace, and one year after cutting the first sod on the Gigafactory 3 at Shanghai, Chinese made TESLA model 3's are rolling off the production line.

ELEKTREK:Tesla to start made-in-China Model 3 deliveries to customers on Jan 7

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Are the Japanese Car Industry in crisis?

Following on from Honda's Chief Exec firmly putting his eggs in the hybrid basket, on follows NISSAN's Ivan Espinosa, global product strategist, reported on ELEKTREK as promoting possibly the worst of all forms of hybrid, the one that doesnt need pluging in to charge, but recharges itself from its ICE engine.
The article comes under the headline

Did a Nissan exec really just say that EV charging is too difficult for women?

And Nissans answer "e-power"
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

What is going to be the key factor in the longevity of cars being produced in the 2020's.......rust, battery life.......or software?

Never mind your "main dealer's servicing arms" making money from taking oily rusty mechanical things apart and replacing them. Should the modern crop of cars troop in when something goes wrong.....yes nice clean software upgrade or 2 or 3 or 4 for a nice price. Car hits over 10 years old and the costs could well scrap a car.

More software code by a margin in a modern car than in a modern jet airliner. Doesn't really have to be like that...especially with the electric car which is inherently simple in its construction, as generations of childrens toy remote control cars testify.

So unsurprising that the whole Volkswagen ID3 project has encountered "massive software problems" and effectively delayed production.
Volkswagen ID.3 Has Encountered 'Massive Software Problems'

Bit ironic when Volkswagen CEO Herbert Diess at the Franfurt Motor show said comparing VW to TESLA

“In the long run, I think we might have a bit of an advantage because of scale. On the hardware side, there is probably not so big a difference because they are are also have a dedicated electric platform and they’re quite big already for an EV manufacturer.”

“But when it comes to the next big thing, which is software, Tesla is strong in software – but software really is a volume game. If you do software, you have to use ten million devices, not one million.”
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

VW know a lot about software...………….especially emission defeat programming. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Not as much as they think they do - otherwise they would never have been found out!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​