Suspension jumping DS7

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jbuk1
My Cars: DS7 ultra prestige

Suspension jumping DS7

Post by Jbuk1 »

Has anyone had an issue of the back suspension jumping sidewards when going over manhole covers?
Iansel
My Cars: DS7, VW ID.3, Triumph TR3,
Gone - BMW 123, Megans , Grand Scenics, Xantia, Renault 21, Peugeot 405

Re: Suspension jumping DS7

Post by Iansel »

Does it still do it if you try one of the other suspension modes such as comfort, eco or sport?
Jbuk1

Post by Jbuk1 »

Yes it does
Talisman+11
My Cars: I own a 2018 DS7 Crossback Ultra Prestige and a 2014 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

Post by Talisman+11 »

I think it is just one of those things that’s inherent with the model I have the one with 20inch low profile so probably feel it more and it doesn’t get any better no matter what suspension setting I use , I can’t say it’s very pleasant on a bumpy bend but it is what it is , that said I do like the car and it is an individual, happy motoring
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Check that the tyres are not over-inflated, even slightly. Use an accurate gauge.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think this is more to do with the actual vehicle load - to springing - as these are new vehicles and would expect the tyre pressures to be right. Like the C5 X7 with hydraulic suspension, they always seem to ride better with a full boot and rear passengers. Although a different suspension system is fitted, it might just be that when these are lightly loaded that they are too light for the suspension and therefore you loose some of the springing effect.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The amount of springing/shock absorption/adhesion/comfort due to the tyres is often underestimated.
I have lost count of the number of vehicles I have driven (particularly brand new ones, or short rental) where the ride has been jittery or harsh. I lots of cases, a quick check showed tyre pressures were in excess of recommended, sometimes way over.

Citroen have always designed their suspension systems around the flexible characteristics of chosen tyres (traditionally Michelin), and quite possible that this design approach has continued.

On Xantia and particularly XM, a comfortable ride can be wrecked by over-inflation, even by a couple of psi, as the "first line of absorption" is made more solid. And as you say, the more so when the car is lightly loaded.
Chris
Bill
My Cars: Ds7 Ultra Prestige Opera

Post by Bill »

I Have had my Ds7 for 18 months and covered 28k miles so far.

I noticed the car skimmying over uneven road also but got worse. I started to notice a creaking noise or sometimes a sound like grit throwing up into the arches. I took the car back to the dealer and found the nearside rear suspension Bush was worn. This happened at 15k miles and was done under warranty. The car seemed better after this repair.
NOTE. Had to wait 2 weeks for the part as it was not on backorder and had to be made. I guess they don't expect to replace these bits so soon. During that time DS would not allow me to use the car as it was unsafe!

Today, I noticed again a severe shimmy over an partly sunken manhole cover and later on in the journey have notice the same sounds again appearing on the driver side rear this time. :x

My daily commute is using mostly country lanes and B roads.(West Sussex) I'm beginning to think the setup is not capable of this type of daily wear....

I'd suggest if you are experiencing the same shimmy, listen carefully to the rear for creaking. Try pushing up and down on the rear with the boot open.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's bad to hear. I wonder how many more of this type of incident there will be before they issue a recall. Unfortunately a lot of the real world testing on these new vehicles is done by the customer! Keep taking it back if it's playing up, as they have to complete a report for all these incidents - which they collate to help determine any problems in the parts or supply chain / design.

Marc
Jbuk1

Post by Jbuk1 »

Unfortunately DS have said this is a characteristic of the vehicle!! On every journey it skips and is very unnerving. It is enhanced on bends, I was driving round a roundabout a few weeks back and the car swerved from skipping, luckily it wasn’t icy! The car has to go, which is a shame as it looks great and there’s not many about. Tyre pressures are correct, I have even tried under inflating and over inflation. My wheels are 21inch so DS said it will be enhanced! Very disappointing how DS have managed to get this so wrong.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Ahhh, so the complaints dept are the old C5x7 crew, they are very well versed in telling customers to "do one" as there is no problem with their design.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As you can tell, Alasdair is his local dealer's favourite customer!

That is a shame and sounds like in the course of trying to comply with all the latest Euro standards for lighter, more fuel efficient vehicles - they seem to have opted for paper mache for the structure. It sounds like the vehicle is too light combined with hard suspension. So unless you have five adults in the back with a boot full of bullion (or cast iron radiators in Alasdair's case), then you get a pitiful driving experience.

I'm wondering how the C5 Aircross would have fared in comparison - that has Hydraulic Progressive Cushions for their suspension which seems to give a good ride:

The model shown here is actually a C4 Aircross to which the system was first fitted - but it demonstrates the suspension quality:

Marc
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

It is the Citroen dealers in Bath and Abington that I am banned from, my local one likes me :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Jbuk1

Post by Jbuk1 »

I bought my DS second hand for £32500 with a finance contribution 9 weeks ago, however the dealer who I ask to buy it back only offered £24k, a massive 8.5k depreciation in 9 weeks-that must be a record!!!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Big Citroen = Normal
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider