C8 - Risk of Particulate Filter Blockage

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

triumphtoledo

Re: C8 - Risk of Particulate Filter Blockage

Post by triumphtoledo »

Very rare for the DPF to be at fault - usually it's the symptom of another issue.

Sort your glow plugs, as this might cause the car to abort active regens. Never overdose with DPF regenerator fuel additives, as this can overheat and melt the DPF cores - PSA cars are especially vulnerable, as they are not designed to reach temperatures of non-Eolys systems. Next issue is to look at live readouts and go from there.

R
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The regeneration is working as it can be seen from the data - and although the GPs can assist, regeneration is not entirely dependent upon them working. The engine ECU can load the engine by operating power consuming equipment if required to help reach the correct temperature needed for regeneration. But if that reading of 169g was for 'amount of additive deposited in particulate filter' then you are pretty near to when the car would be telling you it needs changing / cleaning - regardless of any other issues you are having - as they will block up with non-burnable Cerine deposits.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter Morgan
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Citroen C8 (Charlie), Renault Trafic Camper (René)

Post by Peter Morgan »

Thanks Guys - I really appreciate you expert input. Is it worth having the DPFs cleaned? Cats2U offer a replacement for £125+Vat and it seems to me that having a local mechanic fit that for me and then get the counter reset would be the best medium term solution. ( https://www.cats2u.co.uk/home/1103-citr ... results=25 )
Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They have come down in price significantly. You have to weigh cleaning against replacing. With cleaning, they can be partially cleaned out with chemical cleaners designed for DPFs, whilst it is in situ, but if it is quite blocked, then it really needs to come off. Further risks with removing it can be that the delicate filter part can be sensitive to knocks - and these have been known to crumble and fall out during the cleaning process. A new one of course brings it's own issues, as to the quality type and shape of the internal DPF itself. So if going for a new one, don't go for a really cheap if possible.

So do shop around and read any reviews before making a choice.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
ryandenton-sb
My Cars: Citroën Xsara Picasso, Renault Megane

Post by ryandenton-sb »

Peter Morgan wrote: 19 Dec 2019, 06:09 Thanks Guys - I really appreciate you expert input. Is it worth having the DPFs cleaned? Cats2U offer a replacement for £125+Vat and it seems to me that having a local mechanic fit that for me and then get the counter reset would be the best medium term solution. ( https://www.cats2u.co.uk/home/1103-citr ... results=25 )
Peter
Peter, you could always try someone like terraclean. We had our Picasso 1.6 HDi cleaned 3 years back cost around £110 (Wrote off 6 months later by a over zealous freight lorry) but the difference was amazing. You can see there info here - https://www.terraclean.co.uk/how-dpf-cleaning-works/. There's some decent videos on their site of how it works.
Peter Morgan
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Citroen C8 (Charlie), Renault Trafic Camper (René)

Post by Peter Morgan »

Thanks Marc and Ryan, sound advice - will research further both options
Peter