405: Major Works

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Re: 405: Major Works

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

And a quick one for ekjdm coz I don’t think I responded to the suggestion with regard to the replacement engine:-

No, I’ve nowhere dry to work, other than an 8 x 6 shed for the small stuff; and it is indeed about prolonging the life of the vehicle. I'm starting to wonder if I can keep it going indefinitely.

The thing about refreshing the ZX lump which I think has a good bottom end (I only ever drove it at walking speed - was feeling particular about using it on the Queens Highway; bit silly really, looking back), is that involves a Head Gasket Kit and Stretch Bolt, which then puts me in a position where I might just as well do a HG job on the existing engine which I know is good. I’d probably use the Head from this lump that I’m building, coz I’m pretty sure that along with the spectacularly blown HG on the ZX Lump, there’s the remains of a Glowy in No.1 pot, though I forgot to look when I had the Head off; its only loosely re-assembled.

So I’m blundering on with this one for now, hoping that the known weepy Rotodiesel pump (I had it fitted to mine briefly) and knackered clutch is what prompted its last owner to take it on a one way trip to the scrappies.

And by the time I’ve done this, I’ll hopefully be feeling pretty confident about an Engine Swap, should I need to do it twice. I have two separate sources for a further complete na D lump, but I don’t really want three, do I…or to incur SWMBO’s wrath for spending £50 on an engine / an unknown sum on a complete but 405 Exec Est, but its had several careless owners and the body’s awful; the neighbours might get upset too!

If things go wrong though… watch this space!
Puxa
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

and finally, hows this for weird with regard to the status of the various family cars:-

mine: HG woes and other issues as documented

Daughter's C3: severe ignition mis-fire, off the road as of today. New Sparkers didn't sort it, cor what a difficult job that is on a modern engine!! Hoping a Coil Pack (4 in 1 on these) will else next suspect will be the ECU hence it'll be on a one way trip to the scrapyard. No Lexia, but the fault is so obviously ignition, no real need.

Bro In Law's 206 (her husband), HG issues, being scrapped when (and if) it gets to tax renewal time

MiL's Micra: Clutch and Timing Belt Issue's

Brother In Law's unknown (possibly a recent-ish Seat Leon), severely unwell, issues unknown

+ next door neighbour's low mileage Octavia. News yesterday of HG Failure. Garage booking beckons

Weird, they're dropping like flies!!
Puxa
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sounds like a virus :twisted:
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 22:33 and finally, hows this for weird with regard to the status of the various family cars:-

Weird, they're dropping like flies!!
Hmmm spot the common factor methinks!! #-o #-o :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

mickthemaverick wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 10:04Hmmm spot the common factor methinks!! #-o #-o :)
I knew someone would say that! Cheeky Bugger! Only two of them are maintained by me, mine and Daughter's.

Job done with a replacement for the Micra, into which an awful lot of hours went: this lovely is now hers, well pleased!
Purchase eBay Photos 01.jpg
Last edited by myglaren on 09 Dec 2019, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link
Puxa
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 22:33 Bro In Law's 206 (her husband), HG issues, being scrapped when (and if) it gets to tax renewal time
Afraid I can't help with the others, except to note that things seem to arise in clusters like HG's, maybe this is simply the year of the head gasket. I would though have a closer look at the 206 issue since our lad's smashed blue one was bought cheap on grounds of suspect HG (on a 1.4 TU lump) but it was merely the thermostat housing being replaced by a monkey who didn't believe in paper gaskets hence it was mixing oil into the coolant (they have a pressurised oil gallery in the 'stat housing for some reason) as well as leaking oil & coolant all down the gearbox end of the engine.

Most common place for a TU to go is the other end, cambelt end front corner I think, and then they only weep oil usually. I'd be 110% sure it really is a HG failure before condemning that one at least, assuming it is a TU anyway they're seriously tough little engines that take a lot of killing :wink:
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Just watched the C3 video, that sounds a little bit more than ignition I fear. Sure I can hear a knock as well, hope not but it did sound a bit that way, after me saying how tough the TU series are!

Will grab headphones and have a better listen at it. (edit - ouch, wish I hadn't! :( Fingers crossed it's just how it comes over in the video but that did have a bottom end-ish clatter under load methinks. More I listen the more I worry, though if the worst comes to the worst it's at least a cheap, simple and plentiful lump to swap.)
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Yes the C3 sounds very shafty
Oh buggle
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I think somehow Twingos stand out more'n 205's BUT I do recall reporting the sighting of a 205 when I was in Paris in 2017.

Heater matrices? As far as I'm concerned, for the most part, when cars get to a certain age the heaters fail, so they're cold in the Winter - something I just live with as there is no realistic/practicable alternative. As for taking the dash out of anything that you could, I have huge respect for those that undertake such a task - but also have a niggling doubt about their sanity.

Different senders in the same engine has puzzled me ever since I realised that the '96 Cherokee head has one that that the '99 didn't (nor, in fact, does the '97) but having fitted one in the other, the (electric) fan, temp. gauge & engine overheat light & chime work - so what was it for?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

The three temp sensors on many PSA engines are for
- gauge (usually blue)
- cooling fan control (usually brown)
- injection ECU (usually green).
Later cars reduced the number of sensors, and used an ECU to make use of a single sensor to provide info for the multiple units.
Chris
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Funny how things have a way of coming back to bite you eh ekjdm, glad that I’m not alone in that one; ie saying something then thinking otherwise; I've done that so many times! :? It sounds really nasty doesn’t it, with a Capital ‘N’.

However, its clear from Daughter that its sounded like this before, more than once; and despite this; it drove just fine for about 5miles with me before it started to do this. I was pootling along in traffic at about 30mph on an urban street at the time.

The Coil Pack, which I was surprised to find was branded (albeit NGK), at £20 Delivered; had little effect so the C3 has made its last journey and I’m ‘Car Hunting’ again…. instead of fixing my own; needs must.

No decision yet on the C3’s fate. If it were mine I'd almost certainly strip it and sell the parts to maximise my return. In all likelihood she will prefer to sell it complete than sell it piecemeal and I was thinking of starting it at £100 on eBay. Its a 2005, 1.1 in Silver with 135k on it; 5dr with MOT, currently taxed; if anyone's interested.

The Paris 205’s stood out for me in part Van, coz I was surprised to find them being used at all within the Peripherique; is there a Residents exception to the smog rule perhaps? I did chuckle about the
van ordinaire wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 22:45Heater matrices… as for taking the dash out, I have a niggling doubt about their sanity
Bullseye! The accuracy of that comment suggests you must be a good judge of character!

Yours and Chris’ comments about the Senders suggests to me that I’ll just allow that one to be a mystery and see whether I feel inclined to transfer it to the new Lump when the time comes… it will come, one day! Maybe the the Stat/Fuel Pot assembly originated from a Petrol Injection vehicle prior to my ownership; or is that type of Fuel Pot specific to the Diesels?

Oh and a quick mention to Mick the Maverick, coz I realise it could be mis-interpreted; that my earlier "Cheeky Bugger" comment was said with a smile rather than a growl. 8-)
Puxa
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Puxa:
"Oh and a quick mention to Mick the Maverick, coz I realise it could be mis-interpreted; that my earlier "Cheeky Bugger" comment was said with a smile rather than a growl. 8-)"

:rofl2:

I sensed the grin behind your comment!! No probs.
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

That "no old cars within La Peripherique" rule only applies weekdays & possibly only during the working day (although with the advent of carnets that may have changed) but the German system is equally unfathomable because you never see Euro 2 (red) or 3 (orange) "discs" anymore - but impossibly old cars (without historiche plates) bearing green Euro 4 ones.

As for HG's, bit of a sore point that, as the C15 seems to have succumbed (I did update my fueling issue thread, quoting a mechanic's report, but it disappeared; what with the van, the Xantia, my phone, computer, associated software & now the forum site letting me down I've just about had enough - still the Cherokee's insurance renewal's gone down about £60 (the Xantia's had come down too) so that did cheer me a little.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Oh, that's rubbish isn't it!! My empathy regarding the C15 HG issue. I'll have a look at the Thread for more info and to see what your plans are Van.

Things are 'improving' here. The Polo is fabulous (only fault a surprising amount of tyre noise at motorway speeds) and Daughter now has a shiny new 206, 1.4 HDi, in the same colour as hubby's; so that'll look very 'sad' when they're both home!

I'm doing a bit of research into maximising the value of the C3 which will be off on its last journey sometime next week, while the rear wheels will be finding their way onto my 405 very soon (its a straight swap)
Puxa
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Just a wee update to say that I've not forgotten this Thread; just not very much has been happening with all this, other than a bit of weatherproofing to the Shed - the wind was forcing the rain through the joints in one of the Tongue & Groove sides.

Daughter's being a bit slow about making a call to have the C3 disposed of, but a seemingly very generous £100 is expected from the local Scrapman in "Complete, starts & Drives" condition; rather than an also generous £40 if it were missing Bumpers, Starter, Alternator, Battery and Lights. I'll be curious to see if this is honoured if its tested sufficiently for him to discover that it does indeed drive, albeit rather badly. (a direct question was asked, and answered honestly)

And I can see the attraction of a Turbo-Diesel, having driven her new 1.4HDi 206 30miles home and once since; I'm amazed by the low down grunt... but my 405's still going to be getting a NA engine, eventually
Puxa