Oil Stop Leak Solutions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ldare2000

Oil Stop Leak Solutions

Post by ldare2000 »

Hi
I know Citroen doesn't recommend Oil Stop Leak products however my 2009 1.6 HDI has done 101k miles and I'd like to get a bit more life from it.

I've managed to stop some of the leaks by replacing the rocker head cover (Inc gasket) but I still have some. I fitted a plastic tray above the alternator to try and protect the alternator but I swear that engine saw me do this and started a new leak that could still make its way to the alternator.

I've read some products like Blue Devil can either be amazing or zero. I guess this depends on what's leaking so there can't be a one solution fits all.

Has anyone any positive feedback on a particular oil stop leak additive? I really need to stop oil getting into the alternator and onto the belt as this will cause the belt to snap and/or the alternator to fail both causing me to break down somewhere and probably then scraping the car as there's little point replacing either the belt and or alternator if the replacements are going to have their life span shortened by the oil leak above.

Thanks
Louis
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Oil Stop Leak Solutions

Post by doctle »

The oil has to be coming from somewhere so really fixing the source of the leak would be the best solution. You have replaced the rocker cover and gasket so obviously something is loose or too tight or a different seal has gone. Some of the sump sealants you can buy will stop most leaks but I prefer to fix the problem. If it's shaft seal thats leaking that could become expensive if you cant do the work yourself.
Oh buggle
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

I've taken to 4 garages who have all said not worth investigating beyond what we have tried so far as just throwing more and more money at it. We have resolved many oil and diesel leaks.

Ta
Louis
doctle

Post by doctle »

The problem is getting any sealant to stick, the engine would need to be almost spotless as nothing sticks to oil. If you de-greased and steam cleaned the engine you would see where the leak is and take steps to fix it. If it's leaking in a place where there is no moving parts I'd try quiksteel or similar. It tolerates oil etc when set as well as high temperatures. It's not a sealant it's a putty I have used it on sumps in the past. There's similar products called JB Weld in my opinion they are over rated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUIKSTEEL-X1 ... SwjDZYiMvj
Oh buggle
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Hi
I have ordered some Blue Devil, I shall let you know of it makes any difference.

Cheers
Louis
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Cancelled the order, yes maybe I should try and repair first
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

Totally sealed the Air Dosier and all joints leading to it.
Attachments
received_2297785050511719.jpeg
doctle

Post by doctle »

What did you seal it with?
Oh buggle
ldare2000

Post by ldare2000 »

A strong silicone