Never trust a friend of a friend

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Never trust a friend of a friend

Post by daviemck2006 »

As the title says, never trust a friend of a friend. I sold Gabby to a guy recommended to me who said he wanted her for the engine and gearbox to transplant into a pug 205. Part of the deal was that he was going to remove the interior, the cracking set of leather seats, and return them to me so I could put them to another use. I discovered yesterday that this guy promptly sold her on, complete to a young guy to use as a park race car, making a bit of profit along the line. Now I have no beef with this young guy who did race it, in the process totally wrecking it then sending it to the scrapyard. My beef is with the guy who bought it from me, telling me a heap of lies in the process. With the problems she had it was uneconomical to fix it and heep it on the road, but I thought at least the good bits, the engine and box, and immaculate seats would live on. I will never again trust a friend of a friend, and I am really disappointed that what was a brilliant car for the year and a bit and 20k miles that I owned her ended up with such an undignified end. I'm still getting life lessons at 56 years old.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Never trust a friend of a friend

Post by mickthemaverick »

A sad tale but well learned. When we are born we have 100% trust in Mum and then, as we grow, trust in others goes on a roller coaster with good times and bad. Generally Mum passes away at some point and in my experience the only other living person you ever get to trust 101% is yourself, and sadly as the years go by you will even begin to doubt that!! But then comes old age and you don't care anymore so look on the bright side and enjoy life for what it is!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Apart from a bloke on here that I trust, and my missus. I have one other friend who I'd literally trust with my life. The rest? No. I have a few that I'd call good friends, but there's only one who'd help me whenever they could not withstanding other commitments, and one who'd literally stop what they were doing the moment I needed them if it were an emergency.

As for Gabby, sad, yes, but .. as far as I'm concerned, however good a car was, or however much I was attached to it, as soon as the money is in my hand/bank account when I've sold it, I don't really care what happens to it after that.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Having read your comments Michel I feel that my earlier response could be misinterpreted. What I was trying to say was that trust is a two way street and you don't always have control over which way you are going. I am lucky enough to have many friends who I trust implicitly but anyone of them could choose not to trust me at any point and that may affect my trust in them. Hence my reference to 101% trust!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Shame that David, they were the best set of leather I have ever seen in a Xantia.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

That's what I'm most annoyed about really Alasdair, that they are sent away to the crusher. I would have liked to hold on to them until another use could have been made of them. I was promised them back. At the end of the day the car was uneconomical to repair and it is now no longer on my drive in my way, and I got an equal amount as I would have got from the scrappy, but, I just hate being lied to, which I was. Oh well unfortunately it's another xantia away to the graveyard, and I'm happy with my two cars I'm left with now.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

mickthemaverick wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 21:12 Having read your comments Michel I feel that my earlier response could be misinterpreted. What I was trying to say was that trust is a two way street and you don't always have control over which way you are going. I am lucky enough to have many friends who I trust implicitly but anyone of them could choose not to trust me at any point and that may affect my trust in them. Hence my reference to 101% trust!! :)
Not misinterpreted at all Mick, I certainly trust the two people mentioned more than I trust myself!
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I think the only guy you can kind of trust is the guy you see when you are brushing your teeth and sometimes he will let you down too. As you sold it for parts it's a pity you didn't remove the seats before the car was taken away, done is done but not nice to get let down.
Oh buggle
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Davie, I suppose we all shared your hopes for Gabby & your disappointment about her undignified demise but was the person that bought her from you really a friend of he who recommended him, I mean, how would you know? Furthermore, it doesn't seem to me that it was any friend of yours that made the recommendation - although it may well have with the best of intents. So, yes, it's never too late to learn (otherwise we might as well give up breathing) but don't let this episode sour your views of friends & friendship.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o