Bargain Basement Electric

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Bargain Basement Electric

Post by bobins »

Out of interest, of those of you who have had a smart meter fitted..... and can be moved enough to answer :lol:
Once you had the meter fitted and the novelty had worn off - how often do you look at it's readings and modify your energy usage because of what you've seen ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Here's hoping my tab packet calculations aren't far off the mark. Too late now :-D
Newcastle e-Falcon own work
Newcastle e-Falcon own work
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

How about some more informative pictures Neil? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 20:56 How about some more informative pictures Neil? :)
Its dark and its raining Mick! Its got nice shiny ears, and I like the colour, and it smells like a new car!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

:rofl2:
I can't help noticing that the car you started this thread with has nice shiny ears and is a lovely colour, and since its autumn did yours fall off a tree too?
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Furthermore your dash shot looks distinctly similar to this one and I know where this one comes from!!
Borrowed from web
Borrowed from web
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 21:30 :rofl2:
I can't help noticing that the car you started this thread with has nice shiny ears and is a lovely colour, and since its autumn did yours fall off a tree too?
Well whats more important than anything else is to retain a structure and a story to a thread, and for it to come to a an exciting conclusion. I had no choice really but to back my tab packet hunch and give it a go. :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well done Neil =D> =D> =D> I think the colour is superb, may be a bit biassed of course, and the Leaf is a respectable shape and size. I can't agree with Paul's comment on the looks and at the end of the day you have a Nissan and all four that I have owned were reliable, comfortable and practicle for the purpose they were designed. (One was a Prairie which was considerably individual in design but fantastic to live with) It will also be good to have another owner's views on the rollout. Since I bought the brand new Prius in 2007, sold again in 2010 due to needing more space, I have been sold on the quiet motoring syndrome and I know you will enjoy it. Hopefully I may get a chance to see it if my March idea works out!! :) :) :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

And it is almost French.
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks Mick, Hopefully I will be able to ease my way in with charging via the plug in cable at home, and public chargers for the time being. There is a grant for charging point installations if installed by an approved installer, but before they come along and I need to do a bit of upgrading of our electrical installation. Its fine but old, and could do with "the electricity Board" updating the main fuse, and for us to get the old 6-way rewirable fuse consumer unit replaced with a new one compliant with the 18th Edition of the wiring regs. Has needed doing for years so its about time it was changed in any case.

Many people make Leaf's work up here, should cope with our regular trips up and down to Tyneside, and just because we may have to plan on a recharge on our nice days out to North Yorks/ lake District or the Borders isnt going to stop us.

Should get up and down to the Drift Cafe as long as its not -12 and I have to put the heater on!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Sounds like you have a semi rewire on your hands there because installing a regs 18 cu will mean ensuring lighting circuits are earthed and if your house still has 6 way box I'm guessing you may not have 3 wire lighting circuits. Plus of course the current earth bonding and RCD regs. Good luck wth it. Re the Leaf, I do have one mate who runs one and he keeps a baby r camping gaz stove in the boot for heating during cold spells to improve his range. He only has to run it for a few minutes and the car stays warm for 25+ miles so a few minutes break every 45 minutes or so extends his range significantly. Just a thought! :)
NewcastleFalcon

Its all TT installations round here with an earth rod, and all wiring is in twin and earth for lighting and sockets throughout.

There is one spare slot which used to be for an electric cooker, and could serve for the charge point, but you would have to get cobbled in some RCD protection, and its time that old Consumer unit went. I imagine anyone coming to survey for a charge point installation would take one look that consumer unit, and either see £ signs and an excellent propect for a bit of add on work, or simply say they can't proceed until the installation is upgraded.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Our local Nissan dealer has a couple of used Leafs for sale.
https://www.fiveacres-nissan.co.uk/used ... 51710824/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Its funny how these things fall into place. I only went to that garage to get a couple of brochures for our cutting and sticking and writing little project "A-Z of cars", and we didn't have "N" for Nissan. Yes its for the younger generation but I enjoy it too.

Saw it, wondered if it could be made to work, got the tab packet out, posted it up on here for others to peruse and/or shoot down, concluded that it had every chance, and just did it.

Some may be able to make a similar case for those two at your local garage Gibbo. They are in the next price bracket but they are newer of course, have the 30kWh Battery, and are likely to get a higher residual than mine. There is a decent fuel differential currently between Petrol and electric, so if you typically do a 10-15000 miles a year...your savings on your fuel bill can contribute significantly to the affordability of the vehicle.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 18 Nov 2019, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Out of pure curiosity Neil did you part exchange the micra or are you too attached to it? :-D