C5 X7 sat nav can't fix position or direction

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

wfdTamar
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2015 Citroen C5 LE (150 kw)
2008 Skoda Octavia 4x4
2002 Hymer Classic B584 (in the UK)

C5 X7 sat nav can't fix position or direction

Post by wfdTamar »

2015 C5 X7

The in dash sat nav often takes ages to fix its position. Haven't had the car long and the worst this has been is even after a 30 minute drive it couldn't place me on a road. Even the times it hit the road I was on, it then would have me driving west when I was going south 90 degrees to how I was on the road (across it, instead of along it)! Early on I noticed it seemed quite slow to find satellites.

When I get the car specs from Servicebox it shows I have 2015 maps when the car has a subscription for up to 2018. So I'm wondering if there might be an update that would help it find satellites (like my TomTom's get).

Not sure what hardware it has, but my Skoda one has a single sensor that sits under the dash. If the C5 is similar, I'm wondering if that sensor has become dislodged and is sitting 90 degrees askew from how it should be this could explain it. Car is still under warranty so I'll see if the dealer can sort it, but wondered if anyone has any experience of this and cause?
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 13 Nov 2019, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to RT6 Section of Telematics
2015 C5 Limited Edition (2.2 HDI) 150 kW 450Nm (Racechip S 179kW 528Nm)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 sat nav can't fix position or direction

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Several things:

You may not be aware of the GPS Week Number Rollover issue that affects navigation systems. This occurred on April 6 to April 7, 2019, when the satellites reset to zero. This happens every 20 years and can affect GPS systems in different ways.

The only way to fix this, is to go into the settings for date and time, and unselect the ‘Synchronise time with GPS’ option. This can resolve the incorrect positioning information as a result of the April 2019 change. Check the time, date and year and correct manually, but ensure the ‘Synchronise time with GPS’ setting is not checked.

Give it some time to recalibrate by driving for some time and see if that sorts your issue.

Bear in mind you will need a drive (not sitting stationary) of at least 3 miles after changing the above for the satellites to lock on. Then check the number of satellites visible and report back.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wfdTamar
Donor 2023
2008 Skoda Octavia 4x4

Post by wfdTamar »

Excellent. Have got a notice from TomTom about that issue, but didn't know it affected the car. Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes they use the same US satellite (which was never really intended for us mere mortals use). So depending on the system, some are more vulnerable than others - and in the case of vehicle systems that are no longer supported (Like the Harman Becker, Magneti Marelli RT* systems etc.) that may no longer have firmware updates supplied, it can be an issue - so those systems that have the synchro option I referred to earlier must have this switched off to work properly.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wfdTamar
Donor 2023
2008 Skoda Octavia 4x4

Post by wfdTamar »

Oh did, just to mess up my diagnosis I had the battery disconnected after this happened (doing the front strut). Had to abandoned that as the wheel security bolt head broke off and have to get dealer to sort that. So I'm not sure if that goes box was ticked when I had the issue.

On the drive to dealer it was ticked and worked properly but it sometimes did before. I'll see how it goes, but the strut has first priority as I need that to get a roadworthy (MOT) to register it in my state.