Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by Michel »

One bus per hour here to Reading or Wokingham. £6 return.
That's considerably more than the car plus a couple of hours parking costs..
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Ouch! #-o
Chris
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

I just read an article from a couple of years ago which said that in 2014, last figures available then, global production of wind energy was just under 0.5%, and solar and tide togther slightly less than that.

Worldwide energy use increasing by 2% a year.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

andy5 wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 08:43 Worldwide energy use increasing by 2% a year.
On the Energy Matters Global and Domestic thread I posted up a nice little complacent video from BP's chief economist. Rising Population, and development, and consequent increased energy demand, helping BP's vision for the future and leaving their digging up as much oil as they can find and selling it strategy largely unaffected.
viewtopic.php?p=608407&hilit=BP#p608407
Spencer Dale Chief Economist BP
"I do like this, the journey from 5 million electric cars to 300 million electric cars.....but impact on oil demand and emissions really quite small...you have captured it perfectly! Really great job. Thank you"
REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Nov 2019, 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
andy5
(Donor 2022)

Post by andy5 »

Well, you need oil and coal to make wind turbines, a mixture of carbon fibre, epoxy resin, paint, and steel
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Michel wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 23:15 One bus per hour here to Reading or Wokingham. £6 return.
That's considerably more than the car plus a couple of hours parking costs..
....and thats £6 each, and in an area I assume reasonably close to civilisation. The bus is a last resort here in rural Northumberland, both from a time taken and cost point of view, but I have to admit I am glad its there still on those occasions when there is no alternative. Longer distance Bus travel can be very reasonable. £10 from Newcastle to Manchester much cheaper than the train (and the car), but my last few experiences of doing that journey I tend to get off in Manchester thinking I should have got the train. Only takes a couple of foul mouthed chavs with a bit of drink inside them having a "domestic" behind you for the entire journey to put you off bus travel for ever.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

After suffering similar fellow passengers many times while commuting into London, both by train and the alternative Greenline coach I vowed never to use public transport again after my retirement. A vow which I have rigidly abided by although it has meant some very long walks and cadging very occasional lifts. As a result I no longer suffer either the airborn germs or the domestic grievances of fellow travellers, unless of course I have blagged a lift from SWMBO :-D However it does mean running more than 1 vehicle to cover unforeseen failures!! But the walking and lack of exposure has kept me fit since retirement!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I was travelling on a bus in Birmingham, opposite on a bench seat there was a woman with a wailing and moaning child, sitting alongside them was a sailor in RN uniform, the mother made no attempt to quieten the child who just got to be more and more of a pain in the ass, suddenly the sailor got up from his seat looked the child right in the face and said "Shut Up.",

Silence for the rest of the trip from both mother and child. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Oh Sh...............!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

andy5 wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 08:43 I just read an article from a couple of years ago which said that in 2014, last figures available then, global production of wind energy was just under 0.5%, and solar and tide togther slightly less than that.

Wind generation is increasing so fast that any figures from 2014 are laughably out of date now. Even caught those planning new nuclear power stations by surprise as the lead time for designing and building those is so long... by the time construction was started on Hinkley point C wind was already cheaper, and much faster to roll out!
andy5 wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 09:12 Well, you need oil and coal to make wind turbines, a mixture of carbon fibre, epoxy resin, paint, and steel
Yep, and I've said this many times before - don't waste crude oil by burning its distillates just for energy (and pollute in the process) when we also need it to manufacture raw materials like plastics that we depend on so much. Just burning such a valuable resource for heat and energy is lazy and not forward thinking. Our grandchildren will not thank us for squandering this resource.

Energy can be found by other means such as solar and wind, but the raw hydrocarbon chains needed for manufacturing so many of today's synthetic materials don't have another feasible source of supply other than the complex hydrocarbon molecules found in crude oil.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Mandrake wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 11:32
andy5 wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 08:43 I just read an article from a couple of years ago which said that in 2014, last figures available then, global production of wind energy was just under 0.5%, and solar and tide togther slightly less than that.

Wind generation is increasing so fast that any figures from 2014 are laughably out of date now. Even caught those planning new nuclear power stations by surprise as the lead time for designing and building those is so long... by the time construction was started on Hinkley point C wind was already cheaper, and much faster to roll out!
andy5 wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 09:12 Well, you need oil and coal to make wind turbines, a mixture of carbon fibre, epoxy resin, paint, and steel
Yep, and I've said this many times before - don't waste crude oil by burning its distillates just for energy (and pollute in the process) when we also need it to manufacture raw materials like plastics that we depend on so much. Just burning such a valuable resource for heat and energy is lazy and not forward thinking. Our grandchildren will not thank us for squandering this resource.

Energy can be found by other means such as solar and wind, but the raw hydrocarbon chains needed for manufacturing so many of today's synthetic materials don't have another feasible source of supply other than the complex hydrocarbon molecules found in crude oil.
It's my understanding that petrol is actually a waste product of the crude oil industry and that they would need to dump it or burn it off anyway if it were not for the motor car.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

You may find these charts helpful in this discussion:
borrowed from web
borrowed from web
borrowed from web
borrowed from web
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The Orkney isles actually generate more power from renewable sources that they can use and export the surplus to the main land. Of course not everywhere is as suitable at Orkney but it just shows what can be done. A lot of electric cars there, makes sense of course, but unless they get on a ferry they can't go far. :)

Peter
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

When people realise that Nuclear power is the only safe, clean option, the world will be a much cleaner place to live. No air pollution, very little waste ( a piece of waste the size of half a 330ml drinks can would be all one person would produce over a lifetime). It's the green fruitcakes and anti-nuclear lot who've stymied the technology over the years and helped create the mess we are in now.

If anyone wants to disagree, first tell me the number of deaths caused by carbon fuel related emisssions since June 1954 when the first nuclear power station went online, then compare it with the number caused by nuclear power station accidents over the same period of time.

That's before you get into the number of deaths in mining accidents, the environmental damage caused by mines, both underground and open cast. The diseases suffered by miners worldwide... etc etc. Need I go on?

We have a safe, reliable solution. We should be using it and not messing about with wind farms and things in the sea that all depend on outside factors to generate power.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Multiply the number of deaths due to radiation by the number of plants needed to supply all our power in the future and the picture might look a little different. In addition the risks posed by all the stored nuclear waste, which will be added to by the increased number of power stations and it looks like quite a high risk strategy - just my opinion. :wink:

Peter