207 1.6 hdi won't crank

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

George_o
Locked user account
My Cars: Peugeot 207, 1.6 HDI

207 1.6 hdi won't crank

Post by George_o »

Hi. Recently my car strangely behaves, randomly not cranking, while I hear just a relay clicking when I try starting the car. When I'm leaving the car to rest for a few minutes and I'm trying again, is cranking and starts. Problems with the battery and its connections out of the discussion because have been checked. My first thought was that might be the starter, then I exclude that because without doing anything to it the car will start eventually (also when bought the car 4 years back I changed the starter motor). I've checked all the earth points under the battery, the connections to the starter and all are fine. I've checked also the fuse box beside the battery and the connectors and fuses are totally fine. I've removed and cleaned the crankshaft pulse sensor placed at the engine's top but did not change the situation. The car starts always in the morning after colds nights but when I turn it off after a run and try immediately to restart, it won't crank. I'm doing deliveries with this car so you have to consider that I start and stop the engine multiple times during work. I recently reduced the waiting time when the fault occurs, by knocking the key fob to the steering wheel (not relevant but sometimes works). Yesterday during work from an average of 25 stopping times, refused to start only twice.
With the diagnostic tool, I found only 2 fault codes, namely glow plugs relay (P1351) and "button light" (4D8) at the BSI. From what I know none of these is related to the cranking problem.
Anyone can advise what can cause this staring problem?

Thanks in advance.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 207 1.6 hdi won't crank

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like the starter to me.... I had similar with my 307, got a starter in the garage but never got around to fitting it, as I tried 3 times, and couldn't get the top bolt out!!
Richard W
George_o
Locked user account
My Cars: Peugeot 207, 1.6 HDI

Post by George_o »

Hmmm...I hoped there is not a problem with the starter. It was the ultimate solution to me but recalled the pain I had when I replaced it last time and kept delaying the work because it became quite cold outside. I got the starter ordered in my house, but I hoped to be something else and return it and get a refund.

Thanks for your opinion.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

You could wire a lamp across the solenoid terminal on the starter which would show whether it not it was getting energised, but other than that only thing you can do is replace. I agree it's a lot harder than it needs to be!!!
Richard W
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...or run a 12v supply to the small terminal on the starter, just touch it on there, if the starter is OK it should turn, if not either the motor or solenoid will be faulty.

Peter