Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by Mandrake »

The VW ID.R BEV race car continues its domination (after winning Pikes peak and coming second on the Nurburgring) by taking out the Goodwood festival of speed record which has been held for 20 years by a McClaren F1. Great video with a lot of other Goodwood stuff...

By the way anyone who thinks electric car racing will be boring to watch because they're silent, think again. This thing is anything but silent. :twisted:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

spotted this M5 / M42 merge this morning, nothing exciting but the 3 small flashes on the rear sort of gave it away for me...

quite why the need for Camo on an existing platform i have no idea?
gov.uk check comes up as electric hybrid and a capacity of 1500cc and 0g/km emissions? am i missing something or just dumb?
Last edited by myglaren on 05 Aug 2019, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link.
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Spotted that "Twizzle" again - at a different Boot Sale! Beginning to think they're both run by the same people.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Whats the difference between a BMWi3 and a Parrot?

Having seen on every occassion I have been through Ponteland and Gosforth recently quite a few BMW i3's I did wonder whether the natural world could give any parallels to the take up of electric cars in the UK. The electric car is a bit of an interloper into the transport environment developed and favouring ICE cars, like a "foreign" species introduced to the natural environment.

I would compare the current popupation of electric cars to the ring-necked parakeet.

Its an incomer (its natural home is India and Africa), starting off in the parks and gardens and leafy suburbs and a bit of a novelty, but gradually spreading across the country.....mostly to the leafy suburbs parks and gardens, with the occasional large flocks of them.

Goodness me they have even reached Newcastle, and there is talk of a small number in Scotland.

They do have the potential to spread everywhere though just like the Grey Squirrel and the Collared Dove, and ........the electric car :-D

Rose-ringed Parakeet (Psittacula krameri)- Female on a Neem (Azadirachta indica) tree at Hodal Iws IMG 1279
J.M.Garg [CC BY-SA 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Spotted Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse on their TV Programme "Mortimer and Whitehouse" go fishing, driving around the wilds of Scotland in...........

A REnault Zoe.

Bob does have a bit of history with REnault....

REgards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Spotted my first Tesla Model 3 on the way home from work last night in Glasgow. Didn't manage to get close enough to it to tell whether it was RHD or LHD - LHD examples have been in Europe for at least 6 months and a few have temporarily crossed the channel however RHD UK deliveries only started a few weeks ago so they are still pretty rare here.

It was white, and like every other car (IMHO) white does not do it any justice. Definitely a car that needs a vibrant colour like red. As time goes by we can expect to see a lot more Model 3's here and I suspect that in a couple of years it will be the most commonly sighted BEV in the UK.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
NewcastleFalcon

New EV Spot for me the other day. A White Jaguar I-Pace.

In Autocar news today, you only have to wait three months for one in the UK :-D
2018 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 AWD Front
Vauxford [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The parents at my Boys' scout group have too much money (not me!) - the BEV count being (at least) 2 Tesla S and an i3, although I am not sure I have seen all three together in the carpark - one S and the i3 last week....
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Barcelona's finest a Nissan E-NV200 Van. A rarer spot than they could/should be.

Surprisingly not churned out of the Sunderland Factory just down the road, although the batteries do come from Sunderland in what appears to be a bit of illogical logistics.
https://europe.nissannews.com/en-GB/rel ... nd-battery#
Like LEAF, the cells are manufactured at Nissan's new battery plant in Sunderland close to the NMUK facility, but these are then shipped to Barcelona where they are assembled into a pack specially configured for e-NV200 to avoid encroaching into the cargo area.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Was passed by a Nissan e-NV200 last night just outside work as I walked to my car. Apart from a very subtle whine it was almost silent at low speeds, much like my Ion. (Eg no low speed warning sound or noise other than the slight whine from the drive inverter and a little bit of tyre noise)

There are apparently lots of these about but this is the only one I have seen in person!

Also saw the same white Tesla Model 3 passing me leaving work again a few days ago - looks like it belongs in the area and runs the same after work route regularly! Still don't like it in white...especially given black is the default colour and any other colour including white is an additional charge! (so why not get a nice colour instead of white if you're paying extra :lol: )
Simon

1978 CX 2400
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

1 Nissan Leaf that I have to walk past when I go to or come from the workshop - had to go and collect daughter's Megane.
An Ironic, haven't seen one for ages.
A Zoe, again, first one for weeks.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Aha! An electric 69 - an i3. No easy way to tell if it's a range extender AFAIK?
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Never even realised that there was A REx option for the I3 but reading a bit further it appears it is being phased out. The article is from October 2018.

BMW to cease production of the i3 Range Extender
The i3 REx is forced into extinction in Europe due to the longer range possible from the latest pure-electric variant of BMW's hatchback

I saw a 68 I3 in its usual habitat, M&S carpark, on Sunday, If I see it again I will look for its exhaust pipe!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 07:42 Aha! An electric 69 - an i3. No easy way to tell if it's a range extender AFAIK?
Both versions have the charging socket flap on the rear right quarter, the Rex version has the petrol filler flap on the front right quarter so if it has both flaps it’s a Rex if it only has a flap at the rear it’s battery only!

I think the real reason they’re dropping the Rex in the EU is because it’s basically a very simple two cylinder motorbike engine and I’ve heard that it can’t meet the next round of Euro emissions standards without a costly redesign. (I think they’re still selling the Rex in the US market) So better to just drop it and cram as much battery in as possible. The petrol range of the i3 was tiny anyway as the petrol tank was only 9 litres!!

It was never designed for long distance fossil fuelled driving just as a get you out of jail free card if you can’t charge for some reason.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
NewcastleFalcon

For followers of the thread a really really easy whatsthisthen

But would you recognise one "on the road" rather than tethered to its charging point!
nf own work
nf own work
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey