1981 Citroen CX Prestige Auto

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HunterSteel
My Cars: Citroen GS Break
Citroen CX 25 Turbo II
Citroen Xantia V6 24v Exclusive
Citroen CX Prestige 1981
Citroen BX 16V
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD Break

1981 Citroen CX Prestige Auto

Post by HunterSteel »

So on Friday I'll be going to a guy to go view and (hopefully) secure the deal to buy a 1981 Citroen CX Prestige with one of Citroen's earliest Automatic Gear Boxes (ZF 3HP22). His selling it to me R8,000 (South African Rand) which is a damn fine steal. Now, my problem is it's pretty hard to find what oil to use or what oil equivalent to use on this old Autobox.

Does anyone know what might be a good oil alternative? I don't know if Total still makes the oil that would be used in this old car. According to the owner the car drives fine and gears properly, so I'm happy with that, but I would like to maybe flush out the old oil and put in new oil since the car has been standing on Blocks since 2006. Any knowledge you might be able to impart to me would be greatly appreciated.

~Hunter
Citroens I owned or did own:
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD
Citroen Xantia V6 Exclusive Phase II
Citroen BX 16v
Citroen CX 25 Turbo II
Citroen CX 2400 Prestige
Citroen GS Club Break
Citroen GS Club
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: 1981 Citroen CX Prestige Auto

Post by xantia_v6 »

Luckily, ZF transmissions of the period all used Dextron II fluid. See https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/ ... -11-fr.pdf - this is in french, you should be able to find the english version of the document.

It looks like a nice car, I am a little envious.
HunterSteel
My Cars: Citroen GS Break
Citroen CX 25 Turbo II
Citroen Xantia V6 24v Exclusive
Citroen CX Prestige 1981
Citroen BX 16V
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD Break

Re: 1981 Citroen CX Prestige Auto

Post by HunterSteel »

xantia_v6 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 11:19 Luckily, ZF transmissions of the period all used Dextron II fluid. See https://aftermarket.zf.com/remotemedia/ ... -11-fr.pdf - this is in french, you should be able to find the english version of the document.

It looks like a nice car, I am a little envious.
Thank you so much for that link. Thankfully I have a tiny understanding of French and the document says I can use Dextron II or Dextron III.

I've already been to view the car once, the interior is in such good condition that you'd never have thought the car was standing for close to 14 years :lol:
Luckily the original owner had the car de-registered, his since passed on but the current owner doesn't have time to bring the car back to life, his told me to take it from him since it's just in his way now.

~Hunter
Citroens I owned or did own:
Citroen Xantia 1.9TD
Citroen Xantia V6 Exclusive Phase II
Citroen BX 16v
Citroen CX 25 Turbo II
Citroen CX 2400 Prestige
Citroen GS Club Break
Citroen GS Club