Several issues with my DS5

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mares
My Cars: Citroen DS5

Several issues with my DS5

Post by Mares »

Hi guys,

I am driving Citroen DS5 2.0HDI 163hp, automatic, 2011. year, about 163.000km currently on odometer.

I bought it last summer and generally I am satisfied with this car except minor issues.

Main issues are related to engine starting and turbo. I have copycat of diagbox and these are errors my car has:

1. Error P2291 starting monitoring (The rise in pressure in the injection rail is too slow on starting)
- This manifests as longer engine starting and occurs only when engine is off for more than 7-8 hours (usually this happens on the first morning start when car has not been driving for more than 7-8 hours). After first start, each next start during day will go smoothly, without problems. What I have also noticed, when car is parked under a slope (on a hilly road) it has problem to start the engine. It ignites longer, sometimes starts the engine and turns it off immediately, so I have to start it again. Quite strange, seems like there is an interruption with fuel supply when car is on a hilly road. No leakage anywhere noticed. Battery was replaced last winter, so it is new with enough power.
- My car was in service shop to check this and they did adjustments of injectors, anyhow this has not solved problem with longer start. They also checked pressure of fuel pump and said it is ok. So these two items are ok. Any clue what could cause such problem? Car is running fine without any issues.

2. Several errors related to turbo, some are repeated and often, some are rare but appear (maybe as consequence of major errors), I will list them here and describe a problem:
- Error P11AA air circuit (Maximum charge pressure exceeded). This is repeating error.
- Error 1496 Variable resistance turbocharger (Position incorrect in relation to the setting, too much turbo (after Sales) - repeating
- Error 1497 Variable resistance turbocharger (Position incorrect relative to requirement, not enough turbo) - repeating
- Error P0100 flowmeter (Quantity of air greater than the minimum threshold) - rare error
- Error P0094 fuel system (Incoherence on the fuel pressure measured with the flow regulator too open) - rare error

Engine warning comes up usually when driving on constant speed, let's say 70-80km/h and slow down to about 40km/h and then do kick-down (full acceleration). Usually car hits from 4th into 2nd gear and start accelerating with full power, during hard acceleration warning appears. If I do kick-down from zero to any high speed (eg.100 - 150km/h), no warning will appear, so this comes up mostly from constant drive, then slow down (not to stop) and then hard accelerate. Usually this occurs when passing through paytoll (through electric system where you don't have to stop your car but pas through slowly and then I hit kick down).

Even with such warning car runs smoothly, no power loss, nothing strange noticed except warning message. Downside of this error is it occurs mostly on a highway drives where I use cruise control, but when error message comes up, cruise control automatically is off and unusable, which is pain in the ass for me for highways, where I got used to use it.

Usually cruise control can be used again after switching engine off / on, but this is temporary solution.

I know the best would be to take a car to service (which I will do, but due to every day obligations I am postponing it for a while), anybody have some opinions what could cause these problems?

Here is report from my diagox v 7.83: https://gofile.io/?c=SP8RNZ

VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Several issues with my DS5

Post by myglaren »

Mares wrote: What I have also noticed, when car is parked under a slope (on a hilly road) it has problem to start the engine. It ignites longer, sometimes starts the engine and turns it off immediately, so I have to start it again. Quite strange, seems like there is an interruption with fuel supply when car is on a hilly road. No leakage anywhere noticed.
This has been noticed previously on other models. It can happen that a pipe will leak very slightly, not enough so diesel is expelled but air enters. With the cat on a hill, fuel can drain back into the tank and air take its place due to the small leak.
Injector leak off pipes are often the causes as they harden and crack with the heat of the engine.
Mares

Post by Mares »

When parked on a hill with engine lower than reservoir level, there is a problem with ignition. In that case, no point that diesel goes back into tank, hence probably could be something about injector leak off pipes as you said...will tell this to service. I am not sure when car is parked in opposite position (tank in lower level compared to engine).

Btw, there is also error code B183600 (transporder aerial fault). What is this? I see not faults in car behavior.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The aerial transponder will affect starting or access to the car. The is a transponder aerial in the ignition barrel for non- keyless systems and there is a receiver unit for the remote.

It could be either of these depending on vehicle. I’ll have a look shortly
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mares

Post by Mares »

I have key-less system. Most of the time I keep my car key in a bag on a back seat, sometimes when I want to start or turn off the car, a message comes up that key is not detected and to press again engine start button. Could this trigger such error?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

One of the recommendations is to keep the fob in the electronic holder on the dash to ensure all the vehicle management functions work. I cannot find this specific fault code - it's not listed for your model.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

This manifests as longer engine starting and occurs only when engine is off for more than 7-8 hours (usually this happens on the first morning start when car has not been driving for more than 7-8 hours). After first start, each next start during day will go smoothly, without problems.

For what it's worth, I experienced similar when I had my previous MkII C5. The first start of the day took ages. Once started, it was OK for the rest of the day. Later in the year I had the car in southern Spain for the winter and with the warmer temperatures, I had no problem starting. However, when I started the long journey back to Calais, the problem returned in the morning. Eventually, I decided it was best if I took a break no longer than four hours. After I got home I put the car into a Citroen workshop. They diagnosed the problem as the starter turning over too slowly. They replaced the starter (Ouch) and the problem went away.
[/quote]
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Mares

Post by Mares »

@JohnD ... I think my issue is more related to diesel supply into injectors (especially when car is on a hill). When engine is starting, it feels that starter has full power to start, it just cant turn the engine on immediately (a bit hard to explain in English).
Mares

Post by Mares »

Today I was at service shop and person who works there noticed air bubbles in a hose periodically going from diesel filter casing further (probably towards injectors). Also, when engine is on, manual rubber pump (next to diesel filter, don't know technical word) is always loose when squeezing. On the other side, last two days, before engine start, I pumped this manual pump and until it gets harder, afterwards engine starts smoothly. It is obvious there is air suction in a rail system, causing trouble with first engine start. Downside of this issue, as service guy said, it can be pain in the ass to find out where actually air gets into system. He will work on it.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Mares wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 13:08 service guy said, it can be pain in the ass to find out where actually air gets into system. He will work on it.
He's right! Where air is leaking in is difficult to find because not always will diesel leak out. The 'rubber pump' is the hand primer. It has a one way valve in it which can sometimes allow fuel to run back. Might be worth checking.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
Mares

Post by Mares »

This morning I used hand primer again before starting the engine, to notice if there are bubbles in hoses, and noticed one bubble in a hose after diesel filter (like yesterday). What I noticed about hand primer is, after pumping it to maximum (engine still off) after several seconds it became deflated (you could hear air going out of primer slowly, like from tire). I tried to squeeze it again several times but it stays deflated all the time. Is this normal, after first priming, when it gets hard, it deflates and stays like that?

Btw, engine started normally after priming.

Update: cover of diesel filter casing was replaced as we suspected on this part, but no luck, still small air bubbles going from filter further to high pressure pump. I ordered two screws which are part of filter casing (to remove water and air from the filter), might be rubbers on these screws are worn out and air is entering filter...will see in 2 weeks when screws arrive if they will solve an issue.
itzpeti

Post by itzpeti »

Mares wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 11:53 This morning I used hand primer again before starting the engine, to notice if there are bubbles in hoses, and noticed one bubble in a hose after diesel filter (like yesterday). What I noticed about hand primer is, after pumping it to maximum (engine still off) after several seconds it became deflated (you could hear air going out of primer slowly, like from tire). I tried to squeeze it again several times but it stays deflated all the time. Is this normal, after first priming, when it gets hard, it deflates and stays like that?

Btw, engine started normally after priming.

Update: cover of diesel filter casing was replaced as we suspected on this part, but no luck, still small air bubbles going from filter further to high pressure pump. I ordered two screws which are part of filter casing (to remove water and air from the filter), might be rubbers on these screws are worn out and air is entering filter...will see in 2 weeks when screws arrive if they will solve an issue.
any update?
Mares

Post by Mares »

I still have an issue with first starting, even after replacement of:
- these two screws
- pipe with hand primer
- replacement of diesel filter casing
itzpeti

Post by itzpeti »

Mares wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 12:23 I still have an issue with first starting, even after replacement of:
- these two screws
- pipe with hand primer
- replacement of diesel filter casing
great... I also see some bubbles thats why im asking. After using the hand primer it stays hard for half min and after that I hear somewhere its "drinking" the air..
sebastian9415
My Cars: Citroën c5 x7 2.0 hdi 140hp

Post by sebastian9415 »

Hi. I have the same problem. After 4-5 house engine didn’t start. First time I found the errors p11ac and p2291, but now I found p0087 and p2291. Two times check engine was light on and the car went in limp mode. I changed fuel filter, case filter and pipe from fuel filter to HP pump. You solved this problem?