Big Brother is Watching You (your evidence please)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: Big Brother is Watching You (your evidence please)

Post by mickthemaverick »

I would take that to mean yes you will allow the cookie or no you will block the cookie in both cases. The question the legislation requires them to ask is can they put cookies on your pc yes or no so I would interpret their rather vague options as permission to plant cookies, yes or no. I have to agree though Neil, it is confusing and some sites seem to do their best to hide the real question in the hope that you will inadvertantly give them permission to invade your space. As a matter of principle I reject any site that is ambiguous in that way and take my business elsewhere !!
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Sep 2019, 09:55 As an example.........if you want to block cookies do you

do you choose "Yes" to allow or "Yes" to block
or "No" to block" or "No" to allow

Maybe its obvious, but I find it confusing.
REgards Neil
I permit them but all are wiped when I close the browser. Make doubly sure with BleachBit.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I just ignore any mention of cookies & if I'm not allowed to I just leave the site. Life's to short for it to be needlessly complicated by rubbish that is of no interest or use.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

They changed the law so that now every site has to ask your permission to use cookies so you can't really go anywhere without giving the ok.

I just click on the ok button every time and have the Ccleaner set to wipe them when I switch off, no dire effects so far and Windows Defender seems to do all that's needed as far as keeping the baddies away.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I like all the cookies but the chocolate chip ones are my favourites!! =P~ :)
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Gibbo's thread here reports that the DVSA will be requiring all new installations of "roller brake testers" to be connected to their MOT Testing Service in the first phase of their "connected MOT Equipment".

viewtopic.php?p=619459#p619459

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well I abandoned any further attempts to bother with Nissan Connect for my Leaf, my smart phone aversion, and the general faf, combined with its uselessness seeing to that.

But, buy a new car these days and you are connected whether you like it or not. This article discuses VW's "We Connect" app and its 4 levels of "privacy".

Looks like the CAM-DC is already dead (Campaign for Dumb Cars).
Car makers want your data - here's what you get by giving it to them
Motorists can speed up autonomy and contribute to road-mapping by waiving their privacy rights

All new cars sold across the European Union since 2018 by law must be connected in order for them to be able to automatically contact emergency services in the event of a crash. So, with an embedded SIM card now mandatory, manufacturers are eagerly exploring what else they can do with this wireless connection to your car.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

My 2005 C5 had this and also my current X7 - it uses the GPS to provide coordinates tot he emergency services depending on severity of impact and whether any airbags have gone off. Vehicles without a telematics unit may have a 'services module' installed that has built in GPS and communication capability independent of whether the car has a telematics system or not. Of course, it only operates in an emergency so won't be supplying data on coffin size required etc. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Room 101 gets its fair share of content from the world of IT but would be full to the brim with all the potential minor irritations arising out of the use of IT. So for now Firefox which has been largely just a necessary evil as a browser, just escapes in its latest incarnation, but only because you can turn off the assembled garbage it has put together in the form of "Pocket"
Firefox New Tab FAQ
What is Pocket and how does it relate to Firefox?
[b*llocks]
Pocket is owned by Mozilla and is part of the Firefox family of products. Pocket’s mission is to empower people to consume exceptional stories worthy of their time and attention.

Pocket is Mozilla’s content platform and is built into the Firefox browser. Together Pocket and Firefox expand reach and access to high-quality content while staying true to the values that drive us all: protecting the openness of the web and creating a content platform built around trust, privacy, and quality.

That’s why we work together to deliver some of the best stories out there—recommended by Pocket—directly into your Firefox new tab.[/b*llocks]
I have turned it off.....or should I say I have hidden it.....I guess its still invasively chugging away in the background.

Er....second thoughts...there's plenty for a carefully crafted 101 entry in there, and obviously its not just Firefox playing the game.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I did save a few things in it when it first became available but it was more trouble than it was worth.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 09:14 So for now Firefox which has been largely just a necessary evil as a browser, just escapes in its latest incarnation, but only because you can turn off the assembled garbage it has put together in the form of "Pocket"

REgards Neil
That statement intrigued me Neil, why do you regard it as a necessary evil? I have never had firefox or chrome on my machines and seem to get along very well without them. The same goes for Edge so why necessary? :)
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 09:56
That statement intrigued me Neil, why do you regard it as a necessary evil? I have never had firefox or chrome on my machines and seem to get along very well without them. The same goes for Edge so why necessary? :)
The necessary evil is simply having some sort of facility to connect to the world wide web whether thats edge,chrome,firefox or some other facility which I have never bothered to research or use.

Welcome back MIck.....you missed lava lamp day, and we are still stuck in Maranello on the Chain!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Thanks for the welcome back, I had a very busy day yesterday with the PC issues I am having on my friend's PC re Sky Go app documented in the computer advice needed thread. The issue is ongoing but combined with the F1 qualifying and Chelsea v Watford, (my chosen and home teams) I had very little chance to post. Today isn't going to be much better because it is SWMBO's birthday and we have visitors coming over for the F1 and then birthday tea!

As for web browsers someone on here, I believe it may have been Marc or Mike, recommended Opera to me some time ago and I have been using it ever since. Similar, but better in layout to the original Internet Explorer I find it easy and efficient and it is purportedly far less invasive. It also comes with built in ad blocker and privacy set. Give it a try!!

I would not have been able to contribute much to the lava lamp day as I have never had one!!

As for the chain I'll have a quick think before I get dragged away to ice the cake or some such chore!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Who is the World Champion of the Digital Dark Arts.....

Google/You Tube
Facebook/Instagram
Twitter
Amazon
Apple
Ali Baba
E-Bay
Microsoft
Huawei
Tik-Tok
Trip Advisor
Air BnB

Well todays evidence from Northumberland is Facebook.

I'm not even on it. I've been tapping away about a KIA Soul EV on here. Been to the KIA website logged in as me of course. There is of course a single wifi connection.

So guess what pops up virtually instantaneously on another laptop in use on facebook.....yes an advert for a KIA Soul EV.

So lets salute Facebook in spite of never being invited into my own personal domain, or logged into ever on my laptop, they have harvested my "interest" in a KIA Soul EV and shoved an advert up for it.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

The Drift cafe eavesdropper.

Met up with my brother and his wife the other day. It was his 20th Anniversary...not of marriage but of not having any alcohol or smoking any cigarettes :-D

In the conversation he mentioned about Guinness Zero coming out, and how he wanted to give it a try.
Not private and confidential information, and not much use to the Russian and Chinese spies at the next table I would have thought.

Anyway, back at home after our rendezvous, laptops switched on for the usual faffing about, and I get the "guess what's come up first thing on facebook as an advert when I switched on?...an advert for that Guinness Zero your brother was taking about at the Drift."

We dont have smart phones, but my brother and his wife do. So how has that bit of targeted advertising made it onto an unrelated laptop.?

Well, I don't do facebook or any other social media platform at all but the meeting at the drift was arranged through
Facebook by the facebook occasional dabbling half of Chez Falcon.

That facebook is clever stuff, listens in on conversations in cafes, picks out a product name check, and sends a targeted advert to a facebook user who was also at the "meeting" who has no interest whatsoever in Guinness Zero.

or is it simply familiarity phenonemon. Has facebook been bombarded with Guinness Zero adverts for weeks which haven't consciously been noted due to complete lack of interest in them, and just the mention at the table at the Drift, pre-programmed recognition upon its random appearance.

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 20 Sep 2021, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey