help and advice Citroen Grand Picasso

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Philip Radford
My Cars: Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI 16v VTR+ EGS 2010

help and advice Citroen Grand Picasso

Post by Philip Radford »

Looking for a little bit of help and advice on a Citroen Grand Picasso 1.6 HDi vtr+ egs, 2010 (10 plate)
One of the problems with this car it's pull away in first gear or reverse gear it Juddering on very light throttle. it feels like someone is banging the clutch in and out very quickly much faster than one can really do it. From reading articles from this forum leads me to believe It's the dual mass flywheel, It still does it when it's hot but not so bad but does show up when reversing into a tight spot making it almost uncontrollable to parallel park, All the gears change properly and the car drives exactly is it supposed to do with no issues other than the Juddering problem, well that's the main concern, Now we only purchased this vehicle on the 31 july 2019 and it was back at the dealership the next day with a host of problems, the main one being this juddering.

I won't go into full details but let's say they've attempted to put it right, they have successfully corrected all the other faults and created a few different ones along the way. Now After reading the comments on this forum about gearbox updates I mentioned that to them and they've apparently done the latest gearbox updates, You guessed it, we still have the same problem with Juddering It's going in again next Wednesday for the same problem, Any thoughts please!
A spanner a day helps you work rest and bruise your knuckles :rofl2:
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: help and advice Citroen Grand Picasso

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Dual Mass Flywheel highly likely. If this continues on take up (first or reverse) and the software update has already been applied and the clutch recalibrated, then I'm almost certain it will be DMF seized or shot.

They may have to remove the gearbox to check and that with a replacement clutch will be little short of £1k - but about £1500 min if the DMF needs doing too. If you have a warranty, it probably won't cover wear and tear items like this - but if you've only just got it - reject it as unfit for purpose and get your money back ASAP!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

We have a 2 year parts and labour warranty but would exclude serviceable wear and tear parts, but under UK law as (i believe) it stands if any problems with a vehicle (Being purchased from the trade) withing 30 days i have rights to expect it to be put right regardless, that's just cutting it well short. so if they don't get it right this time we will be returning the vehicle with the expectation of being made whole.
Last edited by Philip Radford on 22 Aug 2019, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I imagine that if they were made aware of the problem within the thirty day limit then it is their problem how long it takes them to resolve it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, keep at it as you won't want the bill for that little lot!

Make it crystal that you suspect the DMF. I have known some who have had the software update applied 3 times and it still had the same juddering - on inspection the DMF was knackered. There's no way of inspecting it of course without doing half the job anyway - so I don't see what the mileage is currently but the DMF can go at anything from 20k miles up!

Marc
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

shes on 78k and yes i was very clear that in my opinion its a clutch problem most likely DMF, i do have a copy of the internal memo stating the problems and they responded with the gearbox update, along with other repairs. in the description of faults from customer it says Juddering. we had only done 65.4 miles in the car when i returned the car (i do have everything in a log book times, dates,problems) we collected the car on Wednesday 31st of July 2019 and all faults was reported on that day, after a runaround i re-turned the car on the 1st of August 2019 at 4 something pm. full detailed record is being kept.
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

Just a quick update on our Citroen Grand Picasso.
I actually took it for a little run up the motorway just to see whether it's something that wanted clearing out. One junction just to see and check on things i’ve looked up on this forum, like does the clutch slip In 5th and 6th, I can confirm it definitely does, got into traffic pulling off junction 28 of the M1 on the slip road there's a small climb, was in traffic (Bit of a tailback on the slip road) and the car for some reason just made an almighty bang, (system released gear has i was throttling) the service light came on and lost all drive no matter what gear was selected drive would not engage, Obviously have to switch the key off wait a few seconds and then restart, with a juddering we crawled away, (with loads of Hooters bleeping and fist shaking at us, for holding them all up), also noticed on the run a misfire.

The juddering is gotten worse now.
I actually managed to video it doing it while I'm sat in the car ready to pull out of the supermarket parking spot.

Please note at this point we’ve only done 164 miles in total. Car’s been back with a list of problems clutch/box being the main one, it was still there and it was reported within minutes of driving away that the problem with clutch/box was just the same. (juddering) my wife wont drive the car now she’s really unconfident with it and that’s putting it mildly.

I've spoken to the dealership they’ve not actually offered to replace it, apologise for the stress and inconvenience and the problems and thank us for working with them (by email) sent us a couple of alternative cars at similar price, we're going to look at the alternative cars on Thursday of this coming week 15 Aug 2019.

I do have to say that the dealership has actually been very good with us to this point,
But only had the car for 12 days, they have had the car 5 of them days for repairs.
Now it's booked in again for more repairs including the gearbox/clutch problem.

Any thoughts please,

I would like to say this forum is excellent for info.
A big thanks to Administrators\moderators and everyone that's contributed to the forum.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Philip Radford wrote: 11 Aug 2019, 12:12 I've spoken to the dealership they’ve not actually offered to replace it, apologise for the stress and inconvenience and the problems and thank us for working with them (by email) sent us a couple of alternative cars at similar price, we're going to look at the alternative cars on Thursday of this coming week 15 Aug 2019.
Is that a typo then? You later seem to be saying they've offered you some alternatives...?

Good if they have - but don't accept the car as it is currently and to be honest - if you do end up getting something else - I really would advise against another EGS -equipped system. Do go for a proper auto if you need that or a manual.

But I suspect if the garage have been afforded the opportunity to attempt repairs and it has been back in the garage more days than out, then you would be entitled to your money back as the car was sold as unfit for purpose. So keep that as an option and don't be forced into something you don't want.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Some useful info:
Short-term right to reject – the first 30 days
If your new or used car has a significant fault that was present when you bought it (as opposed to developing afterwards), you can reject the car within the first 30 days and get a full refund.

You do not have to accept a repair or replacement vehicle (although you can if you want to).

If you have part-exchanged your previous car on the new one, you will not get it back. Instead, you will be entitled to the full invoice price of the car (including road tax, VAT, etc).

You are entitled to a full refund by the same method in which you paid for the car. The dealer cannot charge for usage, wear and tear, collection of the vehicle or anything else.

It is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle, unless your sales contract includes a clause obliging you to return the car. You only have to make sure the car is available to collect.

Be reasonable about this and work with the dealer if you want to get your money back with minimal fuss. Make their lives difficult and you can be sure they will return the favour…

Final right to reject – the first six months
If you have had the car for more than 30 days but less than six months, you have to give the selling dealer one attempt to fix the fault before moving to reject the vehicle. If the repair has not fixed the fault, you can reject the vehicle.

If you part-exchanged your old car on the new one, you will not get it back. Instead, you will get a cash value for the new car. However, unlike the short-term right to reject, it may not be the full value.

In this instance, the dealer is able to claim a reduction in the value of the vehicle. This is based on the mileage covered and time elapsed. There is no guidance on how much they can charge you, so be prepared to negotiate this with the dealer. If it goes to court, the judge will decide.

As above, it is the dealer’s obligation to collect the vehicle under the Act. You cannot be charged for return costs or be forced to return the vehicle yourself.
More here:
https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/2/

Marc
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Potential disaster, especially with it being a 1.6, best rejected before it becomes more of a headache.
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

Not actually offered to replace it but more like a invite to get things sorted. I'm trying not to rock the boat too much at this point. i will update some point how things turn out.

I don't think they will challenge me if i ask to be made whole!

Im very interested in how there going to approach the situation.
We're going out on Monday to hopefully to put her in a new car from a different dealer the wife needs a car ASAP has its part of her work.

Just to be very clear the wife has only past her driving test for a automatic, so a manual car is not a option.

Where we live there's no real alternative for the wife to get to work, she would have to walk across major roads with no footpaths to get to a bus stop about a mile'ish away. Taxis would not be cost-effective although she has used a taxi twice up to date as the car is almost undrivable at this point.

In Ok with driving it, i'm very experienced with cars and problems, my wife isn't confident with cars that have faults, she knows i don't wont to drive it so that obviously don't help with Confidence, i don't wont to drive the car because it's obviously only going to compound the problem.

If anyone interested ill keep you all up to speed.
Little Grebe
My Cars: Peugeot xud 7 powered boat

Post by Little Grebe »

Hello Phil,
I have found all users of this forum extremely helpful, I have a Peugeot powered boat and the advise and enthusiasm from users has been second to none.
I have also a life time interest in the pipe organ and its music wood leather tin and lead you can't go wrong.
Good luck with the car and I hope it gets resolved.
Philip Radford

Post by Philip Radford »

UPDATE! We no longer have the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 1.6 HDI 16v VTR+ EGS 2010, they had to take it back after repairs failed within 20 miles with a gearbox,(Dropping out of gear) they was good to wife and I and will buy from them.

The mark of a good company is putting things right.
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)