Picasso aircon noises

Post your Cit/Peu/Ren air conditioning queries or advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mnde
My Cars: 1982 Citroen GSA Special Estate
2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V

Picasso aircon noises

Post by mnde »

My current car is the first I've owned that has AC... so I'm not very knowledgeable about it!

It recently started making whirring whooshing noises that come and go regularly, usually under engine load rather than idling. If I switch the AC off, the noises go away. My garage thought it was because it was working hard in the heat but it didn't do it last summer! It still goes nice and cold, but I'm wondering (hoping) it's overdue an AC service and not anything more costly... The auxiliary belt was changed last year. What do people think?

Cheers!

Mark
Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V petrol
Last edited by mnde on 28 Aug 2019, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Aircon noises

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's the first thing to do - get it serviced and regassed at somewhere like Kwik Fit - a swooshing noise can mean the gas is getting low. It's not good to leave it low on gas. I don't know when it was last topped up or checked, so would be a good idea to have it done. They usually do a vacuum out of the gas and oil, clean and disinfect the system to kill all the bacteria, then replace the gas and oil in the correct quantities.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mnde

Post by mnde »

Thanks Marc, will do. I don't know when it was last checked/recharged either and I bought the car in Oct 2017 so it's due either way!
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

ATS have a voucher on groupon right now for a £37.99 aircon service

edit:

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/ats-euromaster-ltd-21

be quick it`ll be ending soon
Simon
mnde

Post by mnde »

Thankyou - I missed the Groupon, plus my ATS branch didn't have a slot today so I booked it with Merityre and had it recharged today. I mentioned I'd been hearing some noises.

The aircon was cold... now it's super freezing. But still some noises so I'm wondering if it's either the aux belt, the clutch or the compressor itself. It certainly sounds like a slipping noise, so if I engage AC with increased revs it does it. Don't know if its me but it feels there's more resistance with the AC on than normal. However my car is still recovering from the oil in the injector loom, so it could be some hesitation as well.

First question: if it's the clutch, can it be replaced separately to the compressor? Also is there a way I can diagnose whether it's the clutch or compressor?

I use my AC throughout the year, so it's never been inactive for very long. The aux belt was replaced last year.

Thanks!

Mark.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If it's a slipping noise - then it's more likely to be the belt or the pulleys if you have had the belt changed. Of course you will get an increase in engine revs as the A/C puts more of a strain on the system, so the engine ECU compensates by increasing the engine revs when the A/C is on.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mnde

Post by mnde »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 17:54 If it's a slipping noise - then it's more likely to be the belt or the pulleys if you have had the belt changed. Of course you will get an increase in engine revs as the A/C puts more of a strain on the system, so the engine ECU compensates by increasing the engine revs when the A/C is on.
Thanks 🙂 It's hard to describe... Not slipping as in squealing, but like a pump whirring (and whooshing). I can make it happen by engaging AC in neutral with increased revs, but not if I rev the engine with the AC already on. But it does happen on hard acceleration in gear.

I've looked on service Citroen to get part numbers, and it appears it's possible to get a compressor clutch kit. Didn't realise it was magnetic action, so not sure now about clutch slipping versus pulley or compressor bearings.... Other possibility, come to think of it, is a lazy clutch coil - wonder if oil could have got into the clutch coil electrical connection.... as it got into all kinds of other places! (see my other post)

Thanks,

Mark
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Not an expert by any means but is the noise there without the A/C engaged on hard acceleration?
Looking at your last post about the noise not being there when A/C already engaged and revved in neutral is it possible that the A/C is not the cause of the noise, just that it is being associated with the noise because that is when you first heard it ?
The Aux Belt Tensioner would be my first point of call as you say you have had oil spray issues recently and a recent Aux belt change.
mnde

Post by mnde »

admiral51 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 20:49 Not an expert by any means but is the noise there without the A/C engaged on hard acceleration?
Looking at your last post about the noise not being there when A/C already engaged and revved in neutral is it possible that the A/C is not the cause of the noise, just that it is being associated with the noise because that is when you first heard it ?
The Aux Belt Tensioner would be my first point of call as you say you have had oil spray issues recently and a recent Aux belt change.
Hi there,

There are no noises when the AC is turned off, on hard acceleration, startup etc. They only occur when AC is engaged. I haven't had oil spraying, it was leaking into the main injector harness via a failing oil pressure switch, so I meant it reached a lot of places such as in the ECU, connections for the lambda sensors, the MAP, the motorised throttle housing... I've read that the ECU provides feed and ground to the a/c clutch coil, and there's other places I've not yet checked - A/C low pressure sensor, condensor temp sensor.

It is suspicious that this has started happening only since my fuel system problems, as in oil has been slowly migrating round to various places over time... Now I'm wondering whether the A/C symptoms are connected to the same problem.

But you're right aux belt tensioner, or belt tension itself are another thing I can check out.

Thanks,

Mark

EDIT: I forgot to say the relay still makes a nice loud click :)
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Hi Mark
Sorry should not have used spraying to describe your oil leak issue :(
If you have isolated the noise to only happening when A/C is engaged then it sounds like a mechanical noise, maybe get a stethoscope on the A/C compressor, could be the bearings are on the pulley ?
Just trying to help but guess just muddying the waters :)
mnde

Post by mnde »

admiral51 wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 21:24 Hi Mark
Sorry should not have used spraying to describe your oil leak issue :(
If you have isolated the noise to only happening when A/C is engaged then it sounds like a mechanical noise, maybe get a stethoscope on the A/C compressor, could be the bearings are on the pulley ?
Just trying to help but guess just muddying the waters :)
No worries at all, thankyou for your suggestions! :) Stethoscope hmm, I'll have a look on eBay see if there's one that's long enough to reach, and safely too... Ideally while someone else is in the car to turn the AC off, wait, then on again while holding say 1500 RPM in neutral.

Thanks,

Mark
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Have a look at Mechanics Stethoscope

Cheap and cheerful lol
mnde

Post by mnde »

Thanks, looks like it would be useful!

I've located the compressor and AC pressure switch wiring plugs in the Haynes manual.... Just need to see if I can get at them easily or not to check for oil contamination as a potential cause....

Mark
mnde

Post by mnde »

Sorry, another question: I can only find reference on Service Citroen and autodoc.co.uk to one pressure switch, mounted on the condensor. I'm assuming this is a low pressure sensor which cuts out the compressor if gas pressure is too low, and there's no separate high pressure switch function?

Thanks.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow