Bugger!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Bugger!

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Got my new laptop and trying to transfer the WOW Snooper program from the old one, got a spare hdd and popped it into one of those external cassettes, connected it to the old laptop switched it on and my robot vacuum cleaner started up. :o

Ain't wi-fi wonderful.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Bugger!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That won't work Eric. You can't just move files over from one PC to another and expect it to work.

The registry of the new laptop will be entirely different and as the WOW software has not been installed onto the new device it won't have all the necessary registry entries created - you'll just be moving the files. The WOW software has to be installed on the new system.

The only thing that can be transferred like this is the user's files and folders within the 'My Documents' or other specified files and folders. The Windows files transfer programme can copy these over - but will not be able to copy any software programmes or files from one PC to the other. All software programmes must be reinstalled onto the new PC from scratch.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Yes Marc that was my understanding but I'm told by my neighbour's grandson who's a bit of a computer whizz kid that it can be done (move the programs as well as the files) if I go about it in the way he suggests, I'm always prepared to have a go.

I have the disk for the WOW software but easydiagnostics loaded it on to the old Dell for me via Team viewer so I'm reluctant to start that myself.....just yet. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm afraid he's wrong. I've over 30 years in IT and I'm telling you you can't do that via file transfer. The only way is if it's been installed on Virtual Machine and the VM is cloned and setup on another host PC and the cloned VM is exported to the new PC / laptop (if the host operating system supports it).

The new PC will have different hardware (Architecture, Processor, Chipset IO board, Network and Wifi adapter, Graphics, Audio, USB controller etc.) for which specific drivers need to be installed for - when the laptop is first setup with an operating system and all the hardware drivers are properly installed. All these are written to the registry and are specific to that PC / Laptop. Simply copying the registry over from one PC to another is like putting a wrong piece into a jigsaw - it won't work.

All you can do is copy the programme files and folders over, but the programme won't work - end of. It has to be reinstalled on the new PC / Laptop for all the correct registry values to be written.

Furthermore, if the software programme has an activation code or licence, then that may be coded based on your PC hardware identifiers - in which case it won't work anyway as the hardware IDs are unique to each PC.

Save yourself some stress and just install the software onto the new PC. You can move personal files and folders easily enough but not programmes - because although you can copy the programme folders containing the software, that's all you are doing - the programmes will not work until they are properly installed..
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc