Please help! Steering wheel angle sensor

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

seltyl
My Cars: Citroen ds3 2010

Please help! Steering wheel angle sensor

Post by seltyl »

Bought citroen ds3. Bloke said its had a bang the seat belt pretensioner and angle sensor signal. I looked on here sorted the seat belt myself thanks who ever wrote it hahaa, cause my boyfriend really cant be bothered but only 1 fault coming up on lexia now. Steering angle sensor, coherent, permanent. Bought new squib no joy cause that is what he told me to buy. There's a crack in the steering wheel where the outline of airbag is. Do I change that? I'm a woman btw so please be nice as my partner is a fitter but cant really be bothered. 2 weeks and I'm really starting to get annoyed mostly with him. The car itself drives lovely. It's the esp I cant get rid of and that fault which I assume is causing the problem. I don't mind spending out but not on parts that I don't need like he keeps telling me!! Its blocked in his garage/shed. Any help be very much appreciated
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Please help! Steering wheel angle sensor

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum.

Might I first suggest you post up the VIN (it will be obscured so only Moderators can read it), so that a Moderator can find out exactly what your DS3 had when she rolled out of the factory.

Then may I suggest you arrange to get her booked in for a Lexia session? The Lexia (being designed to work with PSA vehicles) can let you know exactly what error codes are (most generic code readers struggle to understand what Citroen/Peugeots are trying to tell them (that is true of most French things!)). There are Forum members who have Lexia clones who are also willing to help out. With any luck there might be a member or two in the Rhonda!

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 23 Jul 2019, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

seltyl wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 16:03 Bought citroen ds3. Bloke said its had a bang the seat belt pretensioner and angle sensor signal. I looked on here sorted the seat belt myself thanks who ever wrote it hahaa, cause my boyfriend really cant be bothered but only 1 fault coming up on lexia now. Steering angle sensor, coherent, permanent. Bought new squib no joy cause that is what he told me to buy. There's a crack in the steering wheel where the outline of airbag is. Do I change that? I'm a woman btw so please be nice as my partner is a fitter but cant really be bothered. 2 weeks and I'm really starting to get annoyed mostly with him. The car itself drives lovely. It's the esp I cant get rid of and that fault which I assume is causing the problem. I don't mind spending out but not on parts that I don't need like he keeps telling me!! Its blocked in his garage/shed. Any help be very much appreciated
The ESP and ABS fault will stay lit if there the Steering wheel angle sensor needs calibrating or is faulty. Could be either if it has had a knock.

The Angle sensor inside the steering wheel unit behind the airbag works with the ESP (stabilty programme) to determine the angle of the steering wheel and how fast it is being turned, so it can determine appropriate corrective action along with the braking and power options to apply in the event of a detected skid or over / under steer.

If the airbag went off in a prang it may have upset the steering wheel angle sensor. Do you know if the Airbag went off and whether the airbag ECU has been replaced? Once the airbags have been deployed it ususally requires another airbag ECU to be fitted as they record the crash parameters and can't normally be erased.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
seltyl

Post by seltyl »

vin number.
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

It's been on lexia and it says steering wheel angle sensor. Coherent. Permanent.
Luck?? What is that please 🤣. New squib/ comms didn't work.
Thank you so much for replying.
Doesn't look like the airbag deployed but there is an outline so think it has been disturbed. Don't know if ECU has been replaced cant get hold of the man I bought it off.
Thank you
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 22 Jul 2019, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected VIN, deleted Reg No.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If the airbag went off it is (as Marc said) normal for the airbag ECU to lock, recording the details at the moment of impact. However, David Hallworth did manage to get an airbag ECU for a C6 reset, and it probably would be cheaper (and less hassle) then finding a suitable replacement (provided YOUR ECU can be reset, if it is needed).

If you scroll down the page in the following link you can see where he mentions sending the ECU off to be reset (just after the bowl of dirty water!). Later on (a page later on) he refits the ECU (there was a hiccup, but it was a simple fix; he forgot to plug a lead back in), and the C6 passes its MoT.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=29757&start=1005
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You'll need to get the Steering Wheel Angle sensor checked or calibrated. This can be tested using Diagbox. Replacing the control unit under the steering wheel won't make any different as the angle sensor is separate. If it gets upset or moved / removed it has to be recalibrated. There is a procedure that is undertaken to do this, and it is listed in Diagbox. From the Global Test, when complete, locate the ESP ECU from the list (may be referred to as: ESP TEVES MK60 P), then select this and then that will take you to the ESP mane - there should be some tests you can undertake t see what the steering wheel angle sensor is reading as you turn the steering wheel (or not - if it's shot). If the angle is all over the place then you can try and calibrate it. There should be a procedure in the same area - either under configure or repair or similar.

If it's a bit too involved or difficult to undertake, then give Citroen a call and get a quote for them to do this - it shouldn't take that long to do so they shouldn't charge more than £90 which is about an hour of labour.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
seltyl

Post by seltyl »

Thanks all. I'm going to take it from my partners garage. He won't give me no information and now he's told me that the airbags did deploy it was in an accident but just structural damage. most was fixed and bits taken from another ds3 have been put on. He made me buy comms for nothing. I've said I'm on a forum all hell as broken loose. 2 weeks going on 3 weeks I've had this car and he just has a go if I mention something. I've mentioned it needs calibrated and been shouted at that I shouldn't be googling things so sat here in tears cause I'm a girl what do I know??. I mentioned the calibrated before and he said no. I'm hoping my brother who's really good with cars as well will be more helpful and will take the advice from the forum. My partner has lexia
and thats the only fault. Think I'll just bite the bullet and take it to garage if my brother struggles with it. Unless theres someone from my area wanting to help and make money. Thank you all so much.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If I were to say (to my Mum) that she wouldn't understand it as she was a female I would have to be saying this from the other side of the Galaxy in a nuclear bomb shelter! Amongst other things she served a vehicle apprenticeship.

The only thing holding you back is lack of knowledge. This is something you can (should you choose to do so) address. I sometimes (in my line of work) encounter people who don't know how to do things (such as loading paper into a laser printer they have not been shown how to use, and do not have the instructions for) who then make comments like "You must think I am really thick!". I ALWAYS respond that, as they had not been shown how to do this task, I did NOT think they were thick, just lacking in that knowledge. I then go on to say (especially as most of our clients are store related) "I wouldn't know how to open the store in the morning". This usually helps to make people feel better.

I hope that there are Lexia owners in your area. That is why I posted up that link.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 22 Jul 2019, 23:11, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
seltyl

Post by seltyl »

Thank you. He is going to be an ex partner cause this is what I have everytime I mention my car. Hes not qualified he just knows and has picked things up obviously by asking. Almost 3 weeks of this. I Google to try and understand and I sorted the seat belt pre tensioner from this site as someone put it up and it worked. Because I fixed the pre tensioner out he doesn't like it as he's not going to be paid (4 years together and still expects it) I said I didn't need the comms it's the angle sensor and he knows this because the new 1 didn't work. He didnt like that so I'm having a nightmare off him saying I told you you need new steering wheel. Passing the buck cause he's wasted my money! Because I have more money than him he feels belittled which isn't my fault. I'm not well off but its savings. If he told me what to get and why I need it I have no problem paying for it as long as it's the right part and will fix the solution so I can put it through an mot. Thats all I want. I be taking it from garage tomorrow. I will be taking everything on board that people have said and I will try my very best to do it myself or with my brother before taking it to garage. He talked me in to buying the car, after I had a bad crash. Now I'm unable to work as my arm is bad and worked in aldi's and cant get to and from I've had to be let go( crash was my fault) I can try all the things that have been mentioned and take it from there. Thanks. Sorry for my lifes story hahaa
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Hope this resolves well for you.
I can't believe your boyfriends intransigence in helping- If he is so reluctant you have no other option than to ask around and who doesn't use Google anyway.
Hope your brother can help, with assistance from here if necessary. That is what we are here for and always open.
seltyl

Post by seltyl »

Im always on Google, I've seen him on Google to do what hes struggling with. Hes having a nightmare with an Audi which he can't do. Karma! Hopefully it will be out there today! Still no information off him he just sat there last night. Hopefully I can take pictures today and send on the forum and have a better idea and understanding of what I need or what needs to be done. You've all been great I really appreciate it.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

In case you need it, there is a guide to uploading your photo's directly to the forum here:
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=56796
No need to use a third party image host.
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

I once told my wife I didn't know what her f*****g problem, was that was on a Saturday. I didn't see her on Sunday, I didn't see her on Monday but I could see her a little bit from on the Tuesday as the swelling had started to go down.
Oh buggle
seltyl

Post by seltyl »

:rofl2: :rofl2: he wont be seeing me at all after tomorrow. It's not like I'm asking him to do anything just asking what I need. I've bitten the bullet and told him it's going in a garage. Hes asking for lend of money now!!! I'm gobsmacked. Nope my car comes before him now!! Thanks all really been great and put smile on my face. Be even nicer if I was sitting in my car smiling Haha
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Drop back again there's plenty of odd non car threads and mad people here to keep you interested/amused etc
Oh buggle