Manned Moon Landings - Did They Go? - Of Course They Did/n't

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Manned Moon Landings - Did They Go? - Of Course They Did/n't

Post by myglaren »

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

myglaren wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 20:23

Cheers Steve, added to my own personal observations I am now happy to declare that they did - but it still doesn't matter as much as the World Cup!! :-D :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

What's a World Cup?

:twisted:
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

A vessel you drink world out of!! :-D :-D :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

There is no doubt they went, I suppose some photos could have been altered for clarity bearing in mind the photo manipulation techniques available at the time they wouldn't be good. Either that or Stanley Kubrick made 6 expensive (poor quality) films in total secrecy.
Oh buggle
doctle

Post by doctle »

Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:rofl2:
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Not sure why this thread was unlocked really.

At least two posts that I know of have been removed by moderators. I presume this one will make it three. .
doctle

Post by doctle »

It's an interesting a fun discussion unlocked because one of the adults said it would be unlocked.
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Michel wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 23:07 Not sure why this thread was unlocked really.

At least two posts that I know of have been removed by moderators. I presume this one will make it three. .
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62866&start=105#p612426
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

doctle wrote: 12 Jul 2019, 23:28It's an interesting a fun discussion unlocked because one of the adults said it would be unlocked.
Trying to flame already?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
doctle

Post by doctle »

I used to be on another forum discussing German cars. The topics became a Q&A about a specific car issue nothing that would "offend" and it was child safe, like children go on car forums scanning for double entendres or slightly adult words.
I left the forum as did many others because so many threads were closed because they weren't car related. If you go to a garage to get repairs done and chat to the mechanics they aren't totally one dimensional they can talk and discuss many non car related topics because they are adults. I for one can't stand the faux indignation and how easily offended some people are, is this how the Brits won 2 world wars?
Oh buggle
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is very easy for one person to start a conspiracy theory started, provided they are intelligent and can write a logical story that not only makes sense, but that others will be prepared to believe. It is estimated that over 400,000 people (NASA and contractors) got Man to the Moon, but it only took one man to start the hoax theory;

https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... were-faked

Just to show how easy it could be I have written a hoax theory. It took me about 15 minutes to come up with it, a bit longer to flesh it out, and a couple of hours to write it. This theory is a hoax, and purely a figment of my imagination, but (in my opinion) it is feasible. It is up to you if you want to read it, but if you do please remember that IT NEVER HAPPENED
Spoiler: show
Anti aging conspiracy theory.

Once upon a time there was a brilliant young man. When he graduated from University his marks were the highest ever recorded at that University. He went into research, studying age related illnesses. This was because, over the period of a few years, he lost several senior members of his family due to geriatric conditions. He came up with an unusual approach, but (because it was so radical) nobody would back him.

Then tragedy struck this young man. His Father (who was elderly) had an accident in which both he and his wife (the young man’s mother) were killed. Because his Father had been a very successful industrialist he was wealthy, and so the young man, on receiving his inheritance, now had the wherewithal to follow his research further. He set up a small company, employing university graduates who (in the field of research he was interested in) had graduated at the top of their year. He wanted a small team, that he could guide and mould, but who also were capable of thinking at wild tangents. He also (as he knew that what they were doing might not be legal) had, as part of his ‘selection’ process, the willingness to bend/break the rules (so some of his team had criminal records; nothing serious, but they had the ability to ignore some of the social rules). This company developed medications to help manage age related conditions, but this was just to keep the finances in the green.

The young man believed that, if it were possible to make a miniscule tweak, it would be possible to ‘teach’ the human body (and, more specifically, the cells within the body) how to completely eliminate all wastes and toxins that build up over the decades in the body and cells. He felt that, as the detritus built up over the years, the body became less efficient and more vulnerable to illness. If the body could get rid of the detritus (better, if the body never let the detritus accumulate) it would continue to work at a high efficiency and would be less likely to fall victim to the geriatric condition.

Over the next decade or so the research continued. Using gene research (genetic study was in its’ infancy; the first DNA string had only been mapped a year or so before the team started work, and this team had helped to make the mapping possible) the team found a couple of sections that seemed to be linked to their research, and that, over time, degraded in their ability. They found it was possible to (with a minute adjustment) keep these sections working at a much greater efficiency throughout their life cycle.

When they started animal testing (they were using mice and rats) their initial tests were disastrous. It was not possible to modify the DNA of a living subject without it dying. The team were convinced they were in the right basic area, and so they persevered. They found (after years of trials, false avenues of hope, and many setbacks) it was possible to give a foetus the modification they hoped would make age related illnesses a thing of the past. What they had to do was to take a DNA sample of the foetus very early on in its’ development, tweak their ‘medication’ to fit and inject a dormant form into the foetus during its first trimester (later than that and it didn’t work, and an active form killed the foetus and parent). The dormant medication lodged in the cells, and the DNA accepted it. The subject would be born apparently with jaundice (this was intentional). An injection of ‘antibiotics’ resolved this (actually it was a drug to activate the medication) and now the subject would develop normally. Around puberty a ‘booster’ injection was required, and now the subject would be completely protected, as the cells of their body kept themselves scrupulously clean. The subjects were still vulnerable to normal illnesses, cancers, and so on, but when they got into their middle ages their bodies remained in good health, they remained active, and their lifespan was greatly extended (no test subject actually died of old age (they were all humanely killed to be studied), although those that WERE allowed to get ‘old’ were several times older than their normal brethren when they ‘died’). Tests moved onto monkeys and apes, with similar results.

One thing that had been hoped for (but, until tests were carried out, could not be certain to happen) was that offspring could also receive this tweak. Offspring of subjects who had BOTH been ‘tweaked’ also received the tweak, and did not need either the ‘activation’ or ‘booster’ injections. Offspring who only had one parent who had been ‘tweaked’ had a 50/50 chance of receiving it (although, if they did, it appeared to be of equal strength as the original ‘tweak’). If there were offspring of 50/50 subjects, so long as BOTH parents had the active ‘tweak’ the offspring would also receive it. This strongly suggests that this DNA modification is not only viable, it bred true (and has seen to be a dominant gene function).

Now came the time when they had to move onto human trials. There was no way that the authorities would permit human experimentation. The team had to be prepared to break the law (but they already knew this was likely, and had accepted and were prepared to do so). As some of the team were paediatric qualified (this had been done as part of the preparations years earlier) they sought and gained employment at some hospitals with good children facilities. They selected their subjects, got their DNA samples, and managed (completely invisibly to the various authorities) to get the human trials started.

The children grew up normally, to all intents and purposes they were normal healthy children. They still caught things like chicken pox and measles (although they appeared to get over their sickness more quickly than their ‘normal’ counterparts), and they got their ‘booster’ as part of the normal school inoculations (the team made sure to keep their experiment working properly).

Then disaster struck. Due to a global financial crisis this company became vulnerable to a hostile take-over. The company that did this was huge, and a leader in medication for the elderly. The vast majority of their profits came from these drugs. The people in charge were more concerned about their shareholders than their customers (and their patients). Once the ‘trials’ were discovered the management were horrified; they would no longer be making any profits. They decided to kill this research off completely.

The founder (and former young man) died in an aeroplane crash, the laboratory where the team worked had a mysterious chemical spillage that then caused an immense explosion and fire (which, conveniently, killed off the rest of the team (who had been called in for an ‘important development’)), destroyed all the data pertaining to the research (which, for reasons of ‘incompetence’, did not have backups held anywhere off-site) and obliterated all of the equipment (some of which was custom made one off designs). A ‘wet’ team was set up to eliminate the subjects, wherever they were (especially as it was found that the DNA tweak could carry down and breed true, as it appeared to be a dominate gene effect). Most of the subjects have been eliminated, as have any offspring (one subject was undergoing IFV treatment, as they had developed a cancer that would mean they could not, after treatment, have any children; the clinic that undertook the IVF treatment had a fire that wiped out all of the frozen materials; thousands of other people who had taken out this ‘insurance’ will now be disappointed, but nothing can be allowed to stand in the way of profits and shareholder payouts), and the last few remaining subjects will be eliminated by the end of the year.

This never happened, the young man did not exist, neither did his company or team, and it is not possible to stop the aging process.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 16 Jul 2019, 22:21, edited 3 times in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 01:22 Yes but if you read the footer of the article - the mods refused to allow the wiki to be corrected - so they are propogating the incorrect science because they disagree with the findings.
Yes, mods can be a right PITA sometimes but they're not the ones who are propogating incorrect science :P
Besides, it's a different wiki page Oleg mentions, Marc, (which I'll come back to **). :!:

Good science relies on experiments being repeatable.
Although Oleg doesn't show his working out (ie how did he calculate the "backgrounds" were about 150 and 300m away?), others have followed his given method and are unable to reproduce his findings.
Notwithstanding, Oleg doesn't even appear to have corrected for lens distortion - and he wonders why the "background" appears to be panoramic :lol:
I'd go further and say Oleg appears to have cropped, re-aligned and chosen seemingly random focal points to match his conclusions.
Fun fact: Oleg dropped out of Kharkov State University Ukraine without obtaining his doctorate, hence the Ph.D.c status

If anyone else feels the AULIS website has some trustworthy science on the moon landings they may wish to read this thread for instance http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/topic ... -rebuttal/

(**)The wiki page I linked to refuting Oleg's "science" contains links and citations to verifiable evidence from 3rd-parties, some being hostile toward US/NASA that shows Oleg's assertions are flawed and man did go to the moon.
For instance, the Japanese have since mapped the moon-landing areas and guess what? The original NASA photos taken on the moon are an exact match every which way.
Even Kubrick (who according to some forgot to paint in the stars and forgot to close the enormous studio door allowing the wind to blow the flag around) couldn't have guessed the scene (let alone to such accurate detail) at the time.
doctle

Post by doctle »

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. In life as in carts, as in easily offended. Some of the stuff I have heard over the years would make you cringe, usually from people who should know better, here's 2 examples. I was listening to the radio years ago and this American woman was talking about underwear. She claimed that underwear should be gender neutral and should be referred to as inner pants, jeans trousers etc were outer pants and terms like jocks, briefs knickers etc shouldn't be used. Pretty harmless stuff but it got her on Radio 4. The second item was a documentary about technology for helping the deaf. Most of the contributors were all for technology except the squeaky wheel who claimed that "making" the deaf hear was "genocide" for the deaf community and for sign language. Again a fairly nonsensical argument but again it was being heard on national television probably in the interest of fairness or equality or whatever. I watched it because my daughter was born deaf and needed a cochlear implant.
Oh buggle