Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/PSA et cetera

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW et cetera

Post by myglaren »

Fair enough - I do go there regularly but as with other news sites take it all with a large bucket of salt.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

One lady at the BBC that really wound me up is Laura Kuenssberg, who reported it seemed with excited glee Mrs May's problems with Brexit, now May's gone Laura must be skipping with delight.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Marginally off topic, but BP seem fairly relaxed about their prosperity over the next 20 years or so.

Their optimism is based on the underlying factors of rise in population/rise in prosperity. Increased energy demand.

..and as far as electric cars go...if we go from 5 million to 300 million over the next 20 years so what....they reckon it wont even put a small dent in oil demand. They even back the ICE horse to contribute more to carbon emission reduction through small advances in efficiency, than moving from 5 million to 300 million electric cars.

Dont worry....if there's money to be made in the selling energy for those 300 million cars and developing infrastructure, they will be buying up market share there too. Ditto for hydrogen if it ever takes off.
screenshot
screenshot

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Until the motor car came along petroleum was a waste product of the oil industry, bitumen and other heavy oil products were the business, petrol, they couldn't give it away. :-D

BP's business will continue even if the ICE gets banned worldwide, they have much more profitable products on their books and the money to diversify if needed.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Here's Autocar's take on the Bridgend Engine Plant planned closure...
...er their "plans" for Dagenham reported in the article, don't sound that exciting/reassuring...
"Ford will maintain diesel engine production at Dagenham and engineering at Dunton in Essex, so it is hoped the closure of Bridgend is the last adjustment to its UK footprint for now."
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

An interesting insight into the mixture of marques, I wonder how many punters for Jags know that the engines are/were built in a Ford factory or in which part of the world their 'English' Ford is made.
NewcastleFalcon

Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW et cetera

In general the thread has been a bit negative, so time to celebrate a little bit of positive news..
Guardian today
Jaguar Land Rover to build electric XJ car at Castle Bromwich plant

".....carmaker aims ‘to create a powerhouse of electrification in the Midlands’
Our thread should be filled with news like that.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, good news - and is a change from all the moaning and blaming in the news of late. Car industry practices have to change with the times.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

friend of ours finishes there on Friday....off until Sept when EV production begins, presumably on full pay ( well , 4 day week pay cut money ) and the odd bit of work as and when needed
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
NewcastleFalcon

Another good news story
from the Guardian
BMW unveils electric Mini as it charges into new era New model will have list price of £24,400, with first deliveries expected in early 2020

"The investment in the new Mini will preserve the jobs of about 5,000 workers at the Oxford plant"
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/PSA et cetera

Read through this article from the SCMP which caught my attention.
Global car giants are the Nokia of today, rolling towards commercial extinction

"In a nutshell, car companies are run by old-fashioned engineers who are lousy at dealing with new tech."

The article concludes
"This focus on old engineering, development by accretion, and sales of physical kit to customers has served the club of global automotive giants well enough in the past. But it is not going to succeed in a future in which the users of Uber and other ride-hailing apps are increasingly questioning the very idea of individual car ownership. Add to that the promise of self-driving technologies, and it begins to seem clear that the automotive companies of the future will not make their profits by building and selling private cars to individual buyers, but by providing personalised transport services to their subscribers. Viewed through that lens, the car giants of today look singularly ill-equipped to survive."
Its a bit out of date now but the article did quote some research by McKinsey on Automotive Software and Electronics. "Today’s car ...features about 100 million lines of programming code, and processes up to 25 gigabytes of data an hour. " McKinsey.com...Whats Driving the connected car? (2014)

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/PSA et cetera

There is usually some daily whinge from the "Car Industry" and todays comes from the SMMT.

Car industry investment plummets in UK

Cant deny the facts.....it has,

regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Interesting enough throughout, but particularly interesting from 51.30 ish when the guy from UCLA starts talking about Graphene, and its use as an energy store, and a statement that "its only a matter of time before graphene powers our automobiles". (as an energy store which could even be built into the bodywork of a car as opposed to a separate "battery" as we are familiar with)

Discovered in Manchester University the UK could be well placed to develop make products and sell the technology, but co-operation and research carried out by top scientists around the world is most likely to advance the exploitation of graphene's potential.

We should of course have the ambition and the investment to carry into products, processes and materials our fantastic developments and discoveries.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -2-the-car

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Another decent article from Autocar
Analysis: Why car makers are casting aside old rivalries
As an increasing number of manufacturers announce plans to share electric car development, we look at the benefits of collaboration

Article link
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Are PSA doing Something Right!

Peugeot owner PSA sees profits nearly double

Sorry...wrong article quoted as Marc has pointed out

Should have quoted Autocar as of today, and reporting first half year results 2019 of a selection of major car makers

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... 19-edition

One of the reason given surprisingly is a contribution from Vauxhall/Opel and cost saving from platform sharing . The best seller for the group is the Peugeot 208.

REgards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 22 Aug 2019, 09:51, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey