RNEG - BE6450 vs BE6426

This unit is the MyWay system, also referred to as RNEG, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: Also referred to as RNEG, the MyWay colour satellite navigation system, has SD card, integrated European mapping, live trafic information, voice guidance and graphics in 2D or aerial perspective & it features a Bluetooth® system (Bluetooth phone compatibility only - no Bluetooth Audio Streaming).

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Bob L'eponge

RNEG - BE6450 vs BE6426

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi all,

Long time since my last visit, but I am still running my 2009 1.6 Hdi C5 / X7 Tourer.

My Harman Becker RNEG 3 BE6450 navigation system has been playing up for years, but has now become unusable, with the long-term 'random rebooting' problem now getting worse and the unit often failing to display the map data at all unless given a factory reset.

I haven't been able to find anyone who can repair the unit for a reasonable price (almost £600 is the best I have seen) so getting a used unit seems to be the only real option. (Unless anyone knows of any decent repair places.)

Main question is would a BE6426 head unit be a 'plug in and play' replacement for the BE6450 I have fitted? Anyone know what the differences are? I know I will have to programme the unit in Diagbox to my car, but if the BE6426 unit is compatible then this greatly increases my choice on the used market.

Thanks!

P.s Are they any options that would allow me to just dump the factory-fitted system? I really don't want to lose the parking sensor system, which is also displayed on navigation screen.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: RNEG - BE6450 vs BE6426

Post by GiveMeABreak »

^ No to answer your question.

Assuming this is hte MyWay fitted Bob - for a 2009 it should be. Your VIN would help.

BE6426 and BE6450 is irrelevant - the units are interchangeable - but don't get mixed up with the RT6. All MyWay units have a slot in the front with an SD card for the maps, the RT6 units do not have this slot.

Any replacement you get will need to hhave your VIN coded for it to work and secondly, your vehicle's options will also need to be coded correctly - such as Parking Assistance fitted and if so what type, etc., etc. So you will need Diagbox to do this.

Sometimes the SD card holding the mapping data becomes corrupt and causes the reboots, so replacing with a new SD card may help. I am also aware that others who have replaced the SD card and updated the maps have also stopped the rebooting problem.

A factory reset (press SETUP menu, then hold buttons 1,2 & 3 down for 5 seconds to access the system menu, then choose Factory Reset.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Thanks for your reply. Good to hear that a BE6426 head unit will work. (Mine is the MYWay unit with the SD card slot in the front.)

I have the same problem with more than one SD card - each with maps of a different vintage, so I'll try a new card with more up to date maps before buying a new head unit. (Main task this weekend is fitting a new steering rack. Perhaps I should just be thankful that I got 10 years out of the original one.)

Thanks again!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's good going. My original lasted 6 and a bit years, then was replaced with a new one at Citroen under warranty, then that failed in 2 years, so went for a refurbished and retreated / painted one with a 3 year warranty third time round.

Marc
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Just an update. I sourced a used unit - a BE6426 rather than the BE6450 that was originally fitted. I fitted it and connected my Diagbox set up.

When the unit started up it was obviously originally installed in a Peugeot as I got a Peugeot start up screen. I configured the unit with my Vin number, and sure enough I then got a Citroen start up screen. I then, after a few 'configuration failed' messages managed to configure the options to match those on my unit, but it still doesn't behave the same way.

For example, when I use the 'Mode' button I get an extra display screen that I didn't have before which shows the estimated distance before I need to refuel and so on. Also the radio selection buttons on the steering wheel behave differently - most significantly I can no longer display and select the pre-set radio stations using the little scroll wheel. According to Diagbox it is configured exactly the same as my original unit and I can't see any other options that can be changed.

To get the same functionality do you have to exactly match the model number?

Thanks!
Last edited by Bob L'eponge on 15 Jul 2019, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Bob

The old unit has (as you have now found out) retained settings from the donor vehicle.

It is very important that the unit is configured for a C5 X7 or you will get conflicts and errors. Some Peugeots have a retractable screen and different instrument panels displays and they also display the mileage and trip info plus warnings and messages differently.

What version of Diagbox are you running and please pop up the VIN of your X7 so I can check the correct configuration.

Marc
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi Marc,

I have reconfigured the unit to match the settings on my old unit. For some functions - such the one for the pop-up screen - I keep on getting a 'Configuration failed' message, but these eventually changed to the correct value after a few goes, or at least showed as changed the next time I booted up Diagbox. Perhaps I have missed something?

Diagbox gives the same part number for both units - 96:661:984:77. The second software (firmware) reference number is also the same 50.03 as I have updated the firmware. However the first software number is different and I guess that this is the software built into the unit and can't be changed. Mine was version 96.664.828. 80 whilst the one in the new unit is 96.737.981.80

I am using Diagbox 7.56

My Vin is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

So far I seem to have got everything working correctly apart from the non-functioning scroll wheel on the boss in the centre of the steering wheel, plus there is that annoying additional 'current status' screen showing miles to refuelling, current MPG and so on. (There seems to be another 2 tabs available, but I can't find any way to select them.) Perhaps these issues are related to the different software versions?

Thanks again!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Those 96 numbers are not software versions Bob, they are part numbers. You have a unit that is slightly different, but as far as I'm aware they should work no problem.

I would suggest you upgrade to 7.58 as a minimum, as that is one of the most stable versions and will more than adequately cover your vehicle. It contains some bug fixes.

If you can go into the Telematic ECU again and do a screen dump of each of the configuration pages and post them here, I'll go through them and see if anything sticks out.

Marc
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi Marc,

Here is a shot of the configuration pages. I can't see anything relating to the steering wheel controls or mode screen options.

If it helps I have also noticed that Diagbox cannot read the operation of most of the controls on the steering wheel boss either. However - apart from the scroll wheel - they do seem to function as expected. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to which buttons Diagbox can read and which it can't. For example Diagbox reads the pressing of the return button, and even the pressing (but not scrolling) of the scroll wheel, but does not register the pressing of the volume buttons, even though these still operate the head unit as normal. Also, no faults show up for the RNEG unit in Diagbox.

https://images2.imgbox.com/6c/93/aUussh1J_o.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I’ll have a look at this, but the options I need to see are in the BSI Bob.

when you’ve run the global test, go to the top of the list and it should be the BSI. Select this and then go into configuration, manual configuration, but don’t change anything, just do the screen shots for me. These are where some of the options will likely be.

But I would suggest updating it to 7.58, as that will put firmware 4.3.2 onto your VCI, which might solve the ECU reading issue. Let me know if you need the Diagbox update to 7.58.

Marc
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi again,

Sorry that I was looking at the wrong configuration pages. I did have a quick look under the BSI but didn't notice anything relevant. If you can point me in the direction of a 7.56 to 7.58 update, that would be great.

Thanks again!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bob - PM sent.

Marc
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the pointer to the updates. Unfortunately 7.58 doesn't seem to have changed what I am seeing.

I looked in the BSI configuration menus and very little seemed in any way related to configuring the RNEG unit, just basic stuff such as 'Presence of heads up screen' and 'Presence of telematic unit. I then looked at the functioning of the computer at the top of the steering column (VCCF) that sends signals to the radio/ navigation unit and was able to confirm that all signals were being sent as they should be. I also refitted the faulty unit and, sure enough, the scroll wheel and other signals controlled the unit and what came up on the display as expected.

On refitting the replacement unit once again the signals from the VCCF scroll wheels didn't seem to have any effect on the unit and in turn the display, even though the controls on the unit itself did allow for scrolling through the various selections.

I still have the suspicion that the software on these units varies depending on what vehicle they are intended to be used on, so my BE6426 - which was originally fitted to a Peugeot - was never expected to be controlled from the controls on the fixed steering wheel boss of the C5 - just doesn't have the software needed to respond appropriately to the scroll wheel signals from the VCCF. Same with the additional 'status' screen - surely that is something to do with the RNEG unit itself, and it seems that there is no option to turn this extra screen off.

For anyone else in the same situation the BE6426 unit operates fine in my C5 with regards the navigation, radio, phone, parking sensor display and so on. It is only the scroll wheel on the right had side of the steering wheel that refuses to play, so if you can live with that the BE6426 is a viable alternative to the BE640, but for me the inoperative scroll wheel is a 'deal breaker', as they say.

I think I might be better off giving up on the BE6426 unit and looking towards updating to the eMyWay system at some point - ensuring that I get one sourced from the same model of car.

https://images2.imgbox.com/ed/61/giY6gMy2_o.jpg
Last edited by Bob L'eponge on 17 Jul 2019, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That may well be the case Bob, however where you were in the BSI is exactly what I was referring to - it will have pages and pages of config settings and it is these I need to see.

It won't refer specifically to the RNEG unit, as the telematics ECU sends its data to the BSI - but the BSI has other options that you won't necessarily know, which relate to the controls of the vehicle. So I do need to see these Bob in order to go through them.

I've done lots of these, but there are big differences between the Peugeot and Citroen configuration options. If I can cross reference the data against your C5 that I have, I can check whether the telematics unit has altered another setting, which may happen when put into another vehicle.

Marc
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Thanks again for your input Marc. I might have another delve into the BSI settings but I think there wasn't much else to see.

One other small thing. If I look in the hidden menus on the replacement unit and try to look at the unit's serial number all I get is an 'Illegal Serial Number' message. How can this be possible? Surely this is coded in at the factory?