Imbalance on rear brakes Berlingo mk1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Martinez
My Cars: Pug 407 2.0 hdi sport
Berlingo Nu Venture Surf 2.0 hdi

Imbalance on rear brakes Berlingo mk1

Post by Martinez »

Failed mot on brake imbalance. I was expecting there may be a problem with setting up the brake compensator front to rear, but in fact the imbalance is across the rear axle !
So question is, is this likely to be a cylinder or shoes or could it be the dreaded compensator ?
Also, I was considering converting to rear discs, any advice on which callipers fit ?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Imbalance on rear brakes Berlingo mk1

Post by Gibbo2286 »

It could be contamination, oil or brake fluid on the linings or maybe a seized wheel cylinder, or even a broken self adjuster, can't tell until you get the drum off.

I think the idea of fitting disks would be an unnecessary expense, drum brakes on the rear are perfectly adequate for this vehicle.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

Thanks, I’ll have to wait to investigate cos it’s pissin down out there !
I might pop out n get new shoes to be on safe side, I did look at them couple of weeks back and 5hought they’d need replacing next year, so now could be a good time. Just a bit worried about that compensator, and if this is the kind of fault that can be caused by it ?
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

Any good tips on fitting new shoes would be appreciated. Do I need to grease the adjusters ? Best method for getting shoes on ? I usually fit the springs then fit the shoes one end and stretch the other end over n onto the back plate, but those adjusters might get in the way. I’ve bought a fitting kit too just in case.
Martinez

Post by Martinez »

Fitted new shoes but handbrake very slack now. I’d have thought with new shoes it would tighten up not go slack !
I screwed the adjusters for a tight fit but still slack, any ideas ?
Unless cable has come adrift ? Or is this normal ?