Help Required Air-Con (C5-X7)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Help Required Air-Con (C5-X7)

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so here goes:

Pressing the AUTO switch on the Driver / Passenger temperature control knob so that the are illuminated puts the system on automatic mode. The symbol will have an 'A' within the circle on the display LED.

This is the preferred mode as it allows the system to have fully automatic and simultaneous control of these functions:
  • The Air Flow
  • The Temperature in the passenger compartment (including dual zones for driver and passenger on systems with the dual zone unit).
  • The Air Distribution
  • The Air Conditioning
  • Automatic Air Recirculation
This should be the default setting as it uses the internal air quality sensors to determine whether there are any pollutants entering the vehicle so it can close of external air automatically for a period of time.

Although the Air quality sensors can detect most hydrocarbons such as Benzene, Toluene, and gasses such as Nitrogen Dioxide, NO2 (NOx emitted by Diesels), Ozone and Sulphur Dioxide, they can't account for our 4 legged friends or the local farmer muck-spreading. So you'll have to put up with bad smells unfortunately.

So if you were passing through the rural Welsh country side and came across Dai the tractor, you might want to press the Air Re-circulation button once:
X7 Button.PNG
This will close off the external air from entering the system. As soon as possible, press it one more time to return to Auto mode. It really is not recommended to have Air-recirculation on for long as you are basically re-breathing exhaled air and carbon dioxide.

The Auto mode will allow the sensors to detect harmful / unpleasant gasses & hydrocarbons and automatically close off the external air for a short period, as well as keeping the air flow distribution and temperature / humidity levels at the optimum levels.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Estately
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 00 Xantia 2.0 HDI 90 bhp Estate 237k Gone to New Home
07 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive Estate 211k. Gearbox selector failed.
10 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Auto Exclusive Estate. Px'd
13 C5 2.0 HDI 160 Manual Exclusive Tourer.

Post by Estately »

Marc,
Thank you for your detailed reply. After 3 C5's there are still things to learn. The cars' manuals in my opinion simply do not explain or clarify the settings available which given the technology available is a disappointment.
What I forgot to say in my previous diatribe (sorry) was that the internal fan does not blast away when the ambient temperature is closer to to the setting made in the cabin, say 25 or 26C ambient v 21 or 22C in the set in the cabin.
So when Sloppysod (I don't believe that) says after a regas that the air con behaves differently I would guess that it no longer needs to blast away because the incoming air is now colder and will bring the cabin temperature down at a lower fan speed.
Just my take and thanks again for the words of explanation about operating the recirculation.

Andy.
If it can happen it will.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries, but obviously the colder the air, the quicker it reaches requested temperature. They do say somewhere that shoving the fan on full serves no purpose in any attempt to cool the vehicle quicker - and that setting it on Auto will allow it to get to the desired temperature withing the capacity of the system to do so.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

=D> Thanks Marc, for yet another great explanation on how the climate control works and from where it gets its data from........had to read it twice!!
Anyway, I will follow your test example in your earlier post and try to record it exactly the same way you did to make a comparison, between your C5 & mine.........I am now waiting for the warm weather to return to the north and a new thermometer to arrive...............oh!.............along with the weekend I will post my results.
However, I think it yesterday afternoon it worked as expected......baffled #-o
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It is a Citroen; they delight in baffling not only their owners but everybody else who has to work on them!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!