xsara picasso 05 multiplex, towbar electrics Help.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jerseykevsweden
My Cars: Xsara picasso 05 2.0l Automatic petrol

Re: xsara picasso 05 multiplex, towbar electrics Help.

Post by jerseykevsweden »

I was wondering why givemeabreak, Kept writing down the Earth wire all the time, with the colours Is there a reason for this ?
Last edited by jerseykevsweden on 24 Jun 2019, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It’s just because I was referring to the diagrams individually, but of course the earth is common to the lamp cluster. So there is one earth to each of the light lamp clusters that supplies all the lights.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jerseykevsweden

Marc can you read what I wrote after the wire diagrams and just spell it out in laymans terms what I need to do,
My colours don't quite match yours either but close. I need to recheck incase i am wrong. AS I have said above
the 7 pin colors need to go into the Bypass relay, But then what needs to go over to the other light side,assuming that the left side is the main side and the relay will sit there. What wires need to go over to the left side ????
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Have you got a wiring diagram for the bypass relay? It's easy enough to wire up:
Site the relay (you said on the right).
Bring the 7 core cable from the socket up to the relay and connect the wires as per the wiring diagram to the output side - output wires on the bypass relay may be different colours to the 7-core! (It may be that the earth (white) should be connected to a separate earth not the relay).
Run 2 cables across from the right to the left of the car, and connect to the tail light and indicator light wires on the left side, and then connect these to the input side of the relay, according to the wiring diagram. You indicated that colours in the harness on your car didn't match the diagrams Marc posted, so go with what you have worked out.
Connect the remaining 4 input wires from the RH side light cluster to the relay.
Find a point you can use as an earth - a bolt somewhere, or alternatively drill a hole and fit a self tap, then connect the earth from the bypass relay (and perhaps the 7-core) to this.
Run the power wire from the front (you could run direct off the battery given that it's inside the car - alternatively if there is a 12V socket in the boot and it is live all the time, you could use this), fuse it, and then connect to the relay.
Richard W
jerseykevsweden

Thankyou Richard, this is exactly what I needed, it was only the bit about how many wires need to go over to the other side. It is the opposite from what you said because it is lefthand drive, so main side is left and then the two wires need to go over to the left side. How thick a wire can I use if I go from the 12v socket in the back. that would be a little easier than running from the battery I was thinking of it being much thicker than all these thin wires that you see in the brake light cluster. with a 15amp fuse of course.
jerseykevsweden

I mean 2 wires to the right side ,made same mistake again.
jerseykevsweden

oh, this is the other thing where I am unsure why have I, 2 wires together,main side left for tail light Red and green. Does this mean I have to connect 2 wires separately and take them over to the left side. And from my findings ,it was only one red wire for the tail light on the left ? I was asuming that if there was a red and green on main side, that the red must be for the left side ??WOULD THIS MEAN NO NEED TO RUN OVER A WIRE TO THE OTHER SIDE ?

EveN for example the Braked light was 2 wires together green and blue and only one blue over to the left side, So I was asuming the same thing there. that the blue was for the left side. Hmmm
jerseykevsweden

OK, Richard so I managed to get the towbar wiring via email from some nice chap. There is still one thing that's still confusing me after looking at these versions.
of what to do.
In all the diagrams for example.
From the main side of the car ,in my case left side and you have to run over to the other side 2 wires one for Tail light and one for the indicator. Ok, I get that. Heres the thing They give a colour say green for tail light , But on my Picasso, it has a green and a red together. Do I just connect to green or do I need a third wire for the red. ???
Same when I connect the brake light to the relay , in the diagrams they give a blue, but I have
A green and blue wire. So this is were I am puzzled ??

And I'm talking about 2 seperate wires , not just 2 different colours in one wire.
Kind Regards
Kevin
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Just connect to the one wire - the other will be the feed for the high level brake light / number plate light.

Power cable should be 1.0mm² - thinking about it, it would be best to come off the battery, as otherwise you risk overloading the power socket supply.
Richard W
jerseykevsweden

Hi again Richard,
But if you have the Tail light a green and red then, Do I take it as green if most diagrams are green. How does that work just connecting to the green and taking wire over to other side ? The indicator wire are only one so thats not the issue.

And the Brake light which is 2 wires green and blue,that should go to the bypass relay ?? connect the bypass wire to one of these or both. Do you see what I am getting at, I just can not start the job yet, I am not getting exactly the answers i am looking for.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

You only need to connect to one wire, and either will do - they are both carrying the same current.
Richard W
jerseykevsweden

Ok, good, and the Brake light which is two wires , just take one and connect to the bypass relay ?Also
jerseykevsweden

I did want an answer for the last question, obviuosly, you now think I am stupid and do not want to reply. Thanks anyway,
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Same for the brakes as the tail lights. Either will do.
Richard W
jerseykevsweden

OK, Great,
So nowbefore I start this shortly now. Just a recap,
Only take over to the other side , One wire for tail light, Only one wire for indicator.
Why no wire for the brake on the other side ?
Do I need to take a wire over for the fog light also ?
Last thing now, when I connect to the battery with cable and 15amp fuse, do I need to take off the negative wire, in order to connect the cable to the positive wire, ? Don't want a shock or spark wondering.. This will be the last time now Richard if you can clarify this all for me. and much appreciated once again